Jump to solution

Thanks. I’m going to have to do this cause I’m inept when...

Dragonbornyyc
Grasshopper

Thanks. I’m going to have to do this cause I’m inept when it comes to this stuff. I just want to be able to control my nanoleaf lights and can only do that on 2.4

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Same observation as NEBC_Guy. I have created separate SSI...

greydog
Grasshopper

Same observation as NEBC_Guy.

I have created separate SSIDs and could initially see them both in the neighbourhood network list. 

Then within a few minutes one of them disappeared (the 5Ghz). Having just the 2.4Ghz would be fine for my immediate purpose (configuring an existing smart light switch) except that band steering is obviously still in effect when looking at how my other devices have connected to the supposed 2.4Ghz SSID.

And the smart light switch still cannot connect.

Sounds like I need to chat with a Shaw tech to find out why the 5Ghz SSID got deleted?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

UPDATE:  Figured it out. All the band steering discussion...

greydog
Grasshopper

UPDATE:  Figured it out.

All the band steering discussions get a bit misleading.

This worked for me and the XB6 modem/router:

Log into the XB6, then navigate Gateway/Connection/Wi-Fi and in the Wireless Network line select the DISABLE tab.

Then hit Save Settings.  It takes several seconds to perform the change as it informs you.

All your devices stay connected.  Now you will be able to connect your 2.4Ghz-only device such as a smart plug/switch.

Then go back and select the Enable tab to bring back band steering.

Your 2.4Ghz device stays connected as of course do all your devices that work with 5Ghz.

As others have pointed out, after a power outage, you may or will need to do this again solely for the 2.4Ghz-only device.

So, NEBC_Guy is correct.  Creating two separate SSIDs is a red herring, as temporarily disabling band steering effectively accomplishes that.

Here is the appropriate link: https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/how-to-connect-2-4-ghz-devices-without-disabling-band-s...

At least one poster in the various band steering discussions referenced this, among the many misleading links.  The BlueCurve app is fine for doing some things but not disabling band steering.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Click on the instruction you provide, neither band nor st...

caleg
Grasshopper

Click on the instruction you provide, neither band nor steering is a searchable result on the page. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

The link works for me, what are you trying to do?

rstra
Grand Master

@caleg  The link works for me, what are you trying to do?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help