New internet plan, Same modem, charged to remove it and then charged to reuse it.

adikajt
Grasshopper

Ok, so I recently made the switch from Shaw 600 to Shaw Fibre + Gig Internet (upload speed is still so disappointing and absolutely pathetic) and am being charged $11.61 for the shaw bluecurve modem to be removed and $10 for it to be used for the new plan. 

OLD STATEMENT

Remove BlueCurve Gateway XB6 WiFi Modem Rental
Discount - 2-year ValuePlan
08-Jun-20 to 12-Jul-20 = $11.61

Add ValuePlan Internet Promotion 08-Jun-20 to 12-Jul-20 = -$11.61 (I'm assuming this is a cancellation thing for the modem so I am not charged to remove it???im confused about this??)

NEW STATEMENT

Fibre+ Gig = 115.00
BlueCurve Gateway XB6 WiFi Modem Rental = 10.00 (same modem but charged to have it work with the new plan?)

Same modem but charged to Remove it and then Reuse it for the new internet.

I just am confused as to why i have to pay to remove the modem, then pay $10 to use it with the new speed, nothing was mentioned about having to return the old gateway modem and get a new one, nothing was delivered nor have i received calls(to my knowledge) of having to return it and get a new one. 

Anyone assist me on these charges, i'm just really confused about this.

Labels (1)
6 Replies

I'm guessing this would only occur if you did not sign up...

Zeph
Grasshopper

I'm guessing this would only occur if you did not sign up for a 2-year Promo of Shaw Fibre+ Gig, or either broke the 2-year Promo contract for Shaw Internet 600... as with promotions, any equipment rental should be waived. But with that said, you shouldn't be penalized for upgrading services whether you're on a promo or not. From reading your post, I almost felt like this happened to me... but you'd may like to read your bill a little more carefully. Look for a heading that reads 'Promotions', as there you should find your newest discount for Shaw Fibre+ Gig. Also, the BlueCurve Gateway XB6 Wi-Fi modem works with both Internet 600 and Shaw Fibre+ Gig.

0 Kudos

> Remove BlueCurve Gateway XB6 WiFi Modem Rental / Discou...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Remove BlueCurve Gateway XB6 WiFi Modem Rental / Discount - 2-year ValuePlan / 08-Jun-20 to 12-Jul-20 = $11.61

> Add ValuePlan Internet Promotion 08-Jun-20 to 12-Jul-20 = -$11.61

There is a "negative" sign in front of the second "$11.61", resulting in a net difference to you of ZERO.

Note that the range of dates is more than one month -- you have been charged at a rate of $10/month for 1.161 months,

and you have been given an offsetting credit for those 35 days.

> BlueCurve Gateway XB6 WiFi Modem Rental = 10.00 (same modem but charged to have it work with the new plan?)

> Same modem but charged to Remove it and then Reuse it for the new internet.

Probably, you missed another "negative" sign. Again, it should be a net cost to you of "ZERO".  Look for an offsetting credit, to reduce the monthly rental of the device to ZERO.

Logon to My Shaw, and click on "My Bills", and scroll-down to "Transactions".

Pick a range of dates, e.g., May 1 to today, to see the details of each "addition" and "subtraction" transaction.

Or, of course, you may choose to contact Shaw (online-chat or telephone), and have them walk you through each transaction.

0 Kudos

no i havent missed a negative sign, i copied that straigh...

adikajt
Grasshopper

I'll go through it again and check but im sure I didn't miss anything

0 Kudos

-- Add ValuePlan Internet Promotion 08-Jun-20 to 12-Jul-2...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@adikajt  -- Add ValuePlan Internet Promotion 08-Jun-20 to 12-Jul-20 = -$11.61

The specific name of promotion was added to your account.

If you check your bill, it should state that the promotion continues for 1 or 2 years -- until some expiry-date that is well-beyond "12-Jul-2020".

Example from my monthly bill.

Promotions

2-year ValuePlan Internet 300 Price Guarantee (expires 02-Jun-21) -3.00

But, since you made changes after the start of a "billing period", you were given a "credit" (billed a negative-$11.61) for the time between the start of the billing-period and the date that the changes were made. In other words, the monthly amount of the promotional discount was "pro-rated" for the current billing-period.

To compare, if you join a fitness club that charges $1/day, on the 11th day of the month, and the club does all their billing ONLY on the last day of the month, you will be charged the standard $30 fee (for the 30 days in June), and you will receive a "credit" (TEN-dollars) because you were not a club-member for the first TEN days of the month. So, that "credit" shows up on your bill as "-$10.00" -- with the "negative" sign.

0 Kudos

Looks like you are paying slightly less for the modem on...

rickatk
Master

@adikajt wrote:

I'll go through it again and check but im sure I didn't miss anything

Looks like you are paying slightly less for the modem on your new Fibre+Gig plan($10.00 v $11.61).

0 Kudos

-- paying slightly less ... I disagree. The author report...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rickatk -- paying slightly less ...

I disagree. The author reported: 08-Jun-20 to 12-Jul-20 = $11.61

That is more than 30 days.

So, factor-in those "extra" days, to get from $10 to $11.61 -- because 16.1 percent of 30 days is 4.83 days (round it to 5 days -- the 8th to the 12th).

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help