New wireless modem - Hitron CGNM-2250

ld6
Grasshopper

Just received a modem (doesn't look new at all and dusty) and it's so small compared to the one I have which was the best a few years ago.  Anyway, looked up reports on it and not very happy with what I see.  When I switch my tv as I was paying $277 a month for what I used to pay 160 for they said I had an old modem and I needed to upgrade.  Of course with the upgrade my cost went up..... anyway, I am wondering if I should even hook this one up with all the bad reports on it.  I work from home so I can't have issues.  Should I be requesting a "new" one and can someone tell me which one is the best in their equipment list.   I have internet 300.  Can someone help me out please... it's year end and I can't have issues....  (and I hate when you get "used" equipment and they charge you monthly for it)

Thank you and Happy Easter.... stay safe.

Labels (1)
10 Replies

> I used to pay $160. I work from home, so I can't have i...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I used to pay $160. I work from home, so I can't have issues.

Was that price a promotional offer that has expired?

Given the current COVID-19 pandemic, everybody is working from home.

My Hitron cable-modem has been flawless, in the 10 months that I have had it. It replaced a SB5101 cable-modem, that was limited to 25 Mbps. To support "Internet 300", Shaw offers either the Hitron or the "BlueCurve Total" combination TV/Internet device.

My monthly invoice shows "rental" charges for the Gateway HDPVR and for the Advanced WiFi Modem, but with offsetting credits that reduce the charges to those devices to ZERO. Are you really being charged for the Hitron?

With taxes, on a "two-year Value Plan", I pay just over $200/month for Phone & Total TV & Internet 300 -- definitely not the $277 that you are paying. That total includes voice-mail and a few pick-and-pay channels.

I am paying just over 200 for total tv and internet 300.....

ld6
Grasshopper

I am paying just over 200 for total tv and internet 300....  Glad to hear you had no issues with the modem but I am paying $5 a month which I never used to pay for my modem. So just looked at my bill and its now $296 after they said it would be 180+   Not a happy camper right now.... but thank you for letting me know the modem works well.... 🙂

0 Kudos

For billing concerns, it is best to talk to an expert fro...

SP3CTRYS
Grasshopper

For billing concerns, it is best to talk to an expert from Shaw, but I know that anytime changes are made the amount is prorated on the next invoice. Check and see if your invoice covers more than just one month worth of billing. May save you the queue time to talk to an expert 🙂

I had the same problem. Old equipment, covered in an unid...

thusberg
Grasshopper

I had the same problem. Old equipment, covered in an unidentifiable substance, that I had to sanitize.  No support from Shaw in getting it working.  So far has taken more than a day out of life, but the collateral damage to customers isn't considered.  The new modem increased my internet speed temporarily but it is back to being slow and frequently loses connection with my computers.  I can't identifying driver issues. It just stops working, and almost always at or around midnight, the same as my last modem.

0 Kudos

does it only affect your computers or are you noticing sl...

shaw-tony

@thusberg does it only affect your computers or are you noticing slowdowns and disconnects with your mobile devices as well? Does the modem lights turn off and back on when this happens or does it stay on?

0 Kudos

Yes, most of the modem lights go out in some way and then...

thusberg
Grasshopper

Yes, most of the modem lights go out in some way and then reactivate after a while.  I haven't noticed which ones, or the exact order.  I realize each light indicates a different function, but have not too closely looked.

0 Kudos

-- almost always at or around midnight, the same as my la...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@thusberg -- almost always at or around midnight, the same as my last modem

That is the start-time (midnight MST) listed by Shaw for some scheduled outages that they announce that may occur in your region.

0 Kudos

Every day between 11:45 and 12:30 is pretty much a guaran...

thusberg
Grasshopper

Every day between 11:45 and 12:30 is pretty much a guarantee to go down.  Modem loses internet 3 - 5 times a night before that on some nights, like last night.  Last night it dropped real bad sometime between 8-9 and nothing would work for about 10 minutes. Shaw speed test rings in around 50/12 at night. 120/25 daytime

0 Kudos

--  Modem loses internet 3 - 5 times a night before that...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@thusberg --  Modem loses internet 3 - 5 times a night before that on some nights, like last night. 

It is not normal for that to happen, before midnight Mountain Time.  I recommend that you contact Shaw (currently, online chat has priority over telephone) to trouble-shoot.  Make contact between 10 pm and 11 PM, to connect to a Shaw call-centre somewhere in Ontario or the Maritimes -- I usually get immediately connected to an Agent.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help