Thanks for the feedback, I will ask they inspect the mode...

IamaTechGuy
Grasshopper

Thanks for the feedback, I will ask they inspect the modem. As for a hub, router yes I do have both a Gigabit Ethernet router which is configured as hub and is passive/ unmanaged and a Linksys EA8300 Router all hardwired. The Linksys EA8300 handles the DHCP and is Tri-Band WI-FI enabled which and does a pretty good job managing my many wireless/Smart devices.

Both my work laptop and desktop are wired through the hub to router which are all connected via cat6e to the modem. For my particular setup I have requested the modem to be in bridge mode and WIFI disabled. Here's why:  I have had issues with my work VPN constantly dropping reconnecting prior to installing the Linksys EA8300 Router and hub and for the record this speed drop issue did not exist at that time. 

The test results posted are with one system wired directly to the modem. Even isolated and tested on different devices (laptop / desktop) the d/l doesn't change. As I mentioned I had this issue after 6 months off stable 600MBPS only to have it drop to the 300's.

Long story short I was subscribed to 300 and then upgraded to 600. I was receiving the the appropriate rates as subscribed. 6 Months in it dropped to the 300's.  Many calls, + hours of troubleshooting, 2 Modem replacements suddenly it was resolved. less than 6 months later we are back to the 300's directly wired the Router.( I think we just got lucky that time.) This time we didn't replace the modem (but did manage for a short time) to get back up to the 600's again but it reverted to 300's a couple weeks later. 

Inside wiring has been inspected , replaced including the ethernet cables. The hardware (Hub and Router) were removed during testing directly to the modem and have otherwise not displayed any signs of failure. My main desktop has been replaced as well I have a choice of 5 laptops that I can use to test directly. It should be noted that I have over 25+ years in Computer science / IT background and I am currently actively working as an IT Consultant for the government. 

Here is a screen cap from within the router when it was working properly a few weeks ago. 

Capture.JPGdireect connect.JPG   

The second shot was taken today from my desktop. 

0 Kudos

-- The second shot was taken today from my desktop Was th...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@IamaTechGuy -- The second shot was taken today from my desktop

Was the desktop directly-connected to the Shaw cable-modem? Your upload speed is "as advertised".

How fast is the CPU inside your desktop? 2 Ghz? 2.2? 2.5? 2.8? 3.0? 3.2 ?  The faster the CPU, the faster that the Speed Test will run.

Launch the Windows "Task Manager" and switch to the "Performance" tab. Is the CPU mostly-idle before launching the Shaw Speed Test?

Have you tried two different Ethernet cables between your desktop and your cable-modem?

0 Kudos

The Second screen cap was while the desktop was connected...

IamaTechGuy
Grasshopper

The Second screen cap was while the desktop was connected directly to the Modem.

The CPU is an AMD FX™-8150 Eight-Core Processor 3.8GHz-4.2GHz Turbo

CPU Load at time of test?  4%?

CPU.JPG

Motherboard is a MSI 970 GAMING (MS-7693)

32GB of RAM (4x) Kingston 8192 MB (DDR3-1337) Windows Memory Diagnostics (Error Free)

OS Drive is Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB (SMART DRIVE,  short/ long tests) Error Free

Killer LAN 1GB Utilization

Lan.JPG 

Installed Latest LAN Drivers v9.0.0.42 

The results are the same when I test from the Laptop Directly wired to the Modem and Yes I have replaced the Primary Ethernet cable between the Modem and device being tested. 

For the record I have Tested it on (2) DELL Latitude 5580's as well as on ASUS Zen Book, and two slightly older ASUS laptops (previously tested  and confirmed to get 600+ download) and one older Dell latitude all yielding the same results. 

When it worked I get 600 mbps d/l on all devices tested either connected directly or through my home network setup and when it doesn't work I don't . 

All my devices run the latest version of Windows 10 with the exception of my Zen Book as I have not yet installed the latest Windows 10 Feature updates.

Desktop OS is  Windows 10 PRO x64 Version 20H2 Build 19042.985

Any other questions, suggestions please feel free to reply.

Still awaiting  Shaw tech to diagnose "outside wiring"/ previously identified issue.

To Be Continued.....

0 Kudos

--  When it worked I get 600 mbps d/l on all devices test...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@IamaTechGuy --  When it worked I get 600 mbps d/l on all devices tested either connected directly or through my home network setup and when it doesn't work I don't . ... Still awaiting  Shaw tech to diagnose "outside wiring"

Everything "inside" your home seems OK. So, what is left is:

1. the coaxial-cable splitter inside the Shaw demarcation box,
  2. the coaxial-cable between that box and the nearest telephone pole,
  3. the Shaw infrastructure up-and-down your street, which may affect other neighbours who also are Shaw Internet customers.

Tell us what the technician does, and whether it fixes your issue.

0 Kudos

Update: the last tech visit was very thorough however he...

IamaTechGuy
Grasshopper

Update: the last tech visit was very thorough however he wasn't able to identify and inside wiring/ hardware issue.

He did attempt to swap the modem twice but failed to get either to connect. I am not sure if there was delay in provisioning or defective hardware but neither modem connected. 

After tracking all of the coax the tech did identify a small bend in one area the was being slightly compressed as it was forced through a vent in order to provide access to the inside connection. ( this was never suspect of the cause of the performance decrease but being mentioned only for the record). The tech said he would submit a ticket to have someone examine the outside wiring. 

Another week has passed since the Visit , nothing has changed, no updates , no outside tech visit. 

Still paying for 600, but only getting 300. I think I should have the bill adjusted to reflect the service I am getting. 

What if I only paid Half of the bill? Seems fair? 

Current speed test  

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos