Nighthawk router

tankrd
Grasshopper

I have a Nighthawk 7000 hooked up to my Arris modem in bridge mode and all I can get is 250 mbits on my 600 mibit connection? Anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions?

Labels (1)
14 Replies

I am currently experiencing the same kind of issue with a...

jjensen
Grasshopper

I am currently experiencing the same kind of issue with a Linksys EA8300, however, even connecting direct to the modem from my main PC results only 300"s.

I have had this issue in the past and was resolved by swapping the modem. This time a shaw tech did do some testing at my residence and replaced some cable. 

Here's where it get weird, I have a client's system here which is connected to the internet via a Cat5e which connects to a gigabyte Hub which connect to the Linksys EA8300 which connected to the Shaw Modem that I am currently running bridge mode. 

The client's system has fresh copy of Windows 10 pro X64 build 1903 but has the same Lan card, the Realtek Gigabyte Family GB card as I currently have in my system. They have the exact same driver and configuration.   The clients system when benched at fast .com results at 1GB , using the same Lan cable removed from the clients system in my main system only results in 300's.. 

I can transfer files between the system at over 100MBs but can't understand how this system will not pull 600 MBPS from shaw.

Connecting directly to the Shaw modem makes no difference. Using the on board Linksys EA8300 speed test only pulls just over 500 mbps but not consistently. 

I am at a loss as I refuse to believe my LAN card is defective and that the  which only 2 months old is already malfunctioning. As I mentioned this isn't the first time my speed dropped, prior to replacing the modem I was getting over 600 mbps on this system. Post modem replacement and up until a few weeks ago I was happy with over 600 mbps connection.   

I am going to swap my LAN card and test further. I have all new hardware (cat 6 lan cables and new coax installed). The router and hub are only a few months old as well. My system is running W10 X 64 Pro , my motherboard is Military Grade 3 (not a cheap motherboard like the clients Acer system) 

My home network supports Plex and file sharing with ease and I don't have any buffering issues or transfer lag. 

Sorry for the long reply but I am not satisfied with my current situation either. It was 600 and now its not. That is not acceptable to me. 

0 Kudos

I have the same setup and experienced the same issue.  I...

Daddio56
Grasshopper

I have the same setup and experienced the same issue.  I searched high and low for a solution for months and finally solved it by reverting to an older firmware on the router (V1.0.7.6_1.1.99) 

0 Kudos

> I can transfer files between the system at over 100MBs...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I can transfer files between the system at over 100MBs

Perhaps, the "bottle-neck" here is the speed of the disk-drives on both systems. Are you transferring a file from one SSD to another SSD, or from one "spinning" disk-drive to another?  If you have the Windows Task Manager open to the "Performance" tab, does it show that the SSD/disk-drive is 100% busy, or that one CPU (or 1/8 of an eight-core CPU) is 100% busy?

> Connecting directly to the Shaw modem makes no difference.

By chance, would your network-adapter be set to "half-duplex", instead of "full-duplex" ?

> Using the onboard Linksys EA8300 speed test only pulls just over 500 mbps but not consistently. 

That's good to get that speed going "through" the Shaw modem to the Linksys.

> I have all new hardware (cat 6 lan cables and new coax installed). The router and hub are only a few months old as well.

What's your configuration? bridged Shaw modem -> your router -> your hub -> your computer?

Any change if you remove either one of "your router" or "your hub" ?

0 Kudos

> I can transfer files between the systems at over 100MBs...

IamaTechGuy
Grasshopper

> I can transfer files between the systems at over 100MBs (PC to PC)

I have  an SSD as my boot drive and Hybrid SSD's as my storage drives. File transfers from drive to drive are not issue.

Transfer from one system to another system with mechanical drive as the boot drive is fine too as they both have GBe Network adapters.

Connecting directly to the Shaw modem makes no difference.

By chance, would your network-adapter be set to "half-duplex", instead of "full-duplex" ?

I have previously had my network-adapter to 1GB Full Duplex and yes I was receiving 600mbps+

for months, I have also had success with network-adapter set to "Auto Negotiate" 

> Using the onboard Linksys EA8300 speed test only pulls just over 500 mbps but not consistently. 

This is to pull over 600 consistently..

> I have all new hardware (cat 6 lan cables and new coax installed). The router and hub are only a few months old as well.

What's your configuration? bridged Shaw modem -> your router -> your hub -> your computer? Bridged Modem- Router- Hub- PC 

Any change if you remove either one of "your router" or "your hub" ?

I've isolated the PC to the Shaw Modem and still can't get over 300's.

Recently I've Wiped and Reloaded my main system (Windows 10 x64 Pro), Updated to the Latest Drivers, Swapped the Network Cable , Tweaked My LAN card.. 

Still can't achieve the 600 I once had. 

This time last year I had the same problem, Shaw swapped my modem and the issue was resolved. This time out the tech didn't do the swap. 

I dont believe this is Firmware issue as my firmware was the same version while it was getting the 600, I have not upgraded or downgraded any device firmware or driver prior to the drop. I would love for shaw to swap my modem. 

0 Kudos

THought I should share this so we can rule out the LAN....

IamaTechGuy
Grasshopper

THought I should share this so we can rule out the LAN. 

LAN Test Results. 

Packet Size: 10 MB to 10 MB
Packet Size Avg: 10,000,000 Bytes
Packets: 1
Total Test Time: 2.742455 sec
Throughput: Maximum
Write: 0.0782 (1,022,488,353)
Read: 0.0390 (2,053,910,003)
Write Speed: 1.02 Gbps
Read Speed: 2.05 Gbps
Write Cache: Disabled
Read Cache: Disabled

0 Kudos

Resolved!  So today I decided to have another crack at it...

IamaTechGuy
Grasshopper

Resolved! 

So today I decided to have another crack at it and I really want to express my gratitude to the Shaw Tech Ron whom assisted me in further troubleshooting. With Rons help we managed to resolve the issue.

Resolution:

Again isolating the PC to the Shaw modem and Un-Bridging the Modem from their side yielded great results, I am now happily getting 600's again. After re-bridging  again I can still see the 600's. I reconnected my Router went through the setup again I am still seeing 600's.

So what the actual was I may never know but I now know it was something with the bridge setting and perhaps some band steering on their end.

Thanks once again to RON who took the time here me out. 

https://shaw.speedtestcustom.com/result/789b44f0-c691-11e9-90b3-b1f503a5ca1a

What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far? Do you...

shaw-tony

@tankrd What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far? Do you receive more than 250 Mbps when the modem is directly plugged into your PC (bypassing the router)?

@jjensen When you connect directly to the modem from your PC, do you reboot the modem at all? I'd recommend trying a pinhole factory reset on the modem to see if it resolves this issue. It may be a settings issue/bug. Let me know how it goes.

@IamaTechGuy Glad to hear your troubles are now resolved with the help of Ron 🙂

0 Kudos

Its Back, the problem was resolved for almost a year and...

IamaTechGuy
Grasshopper

Its Back, the problem was resolved for almost a year and suddenly its back. I am no longer getting the 600mbs download. Current Max d/l is pulling 388 MBPS but the u/l looks good at 108MBPS

Download Performance Details

Download Maximum474.9 Mbps
Download Minimum239.8 Mbps
Download Average343.7 Mbps

Upload Performance Details

Upload Maximum110 Mbps
Upload Minimum2.1 Mbps
Upload Average56.3 Mbps

Over past few weeks I reported the issue again only this time my u/l tanked hitting a rescored low of 2.1. No outage in my area confirmed by the helpdesk.

I contacted support again and they sent a tech to inspect my inside wiring and hardware. Upon the inspection the tech confirmed there is problem outside between my house and the node.

It's nice to hear that I am not crazy (although some would argue that). 

Still don't know when the issue will be resolved but at least its a starting point. 

To be continued

0 Kudos

-- contact a Shaw Agent, and get them to removely logon t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@IamaTechGuy -- contact a Shaw Agent, and get them to removely logon to your cable-modem, to view and interpret its internal performance statistics. Anything that is "out-of-spec" can limit your download speeds.

Do you have a "hub" as part of your local area network? By definition, a hub "broadcasts" all incoming packets to all the ports, and it becomes the responsibility of each computer's network adapter to ignore packets that are not intended for the computer.  So, it's possible that a "1 Gbit" hub is 100% busy when receiving at a net rate of 500 Mbit, plus sending at a net rate of 500 Mbit.  In contrast, a "router" will send each packet only to one computer on your LAN.

0 Kudos