On Line Group Jamming Wifi Problem

tsf
Grasshopper

I am trying to join in on a group music jam using the program "Jamulus". It recommends not using wifi as it increases latency and seem so cause inerruptions. I have a Bluecurve modem in the middle of the house. The room that I want to jam from is upstairs so I can't run a wire from the Bluecurve modem to the computer. The upstairs room does have a cable outlet that is currently used for the phone modem. The modem does not have an ethernet port so I can't plug into it. 

Is there a way to use the cable port on the wall (currently used by the phone modem) to connect to my PC? Do I have to buy a second modem to  do so?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

-- It recommends not using wifi as it increases latency a...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@tsf -- It recommends not using wifi as it increases latency and seem so cause inTerruptions.

Have you actually tried it, to verify that the latency will be a problem?

> The room that I want to jam from is upstairs so I can't run a wire from the BlueCurve modem to the computer. The upstairs room does have a cable outlet that is currently used for the phone modem. The modem does not have an Ethernet port so I can't plug into it.  Is there a way to use the cable port on the wall (currently used by the phone modem) to connect to my PC?

No, but you might purchase a pair of "Ethernet-over-power" adapters, to use your house's wiring to carry the Ethernet signals.

Plug one adapter into a wall-plug near the cable-modem, and run an Ethernet cable between the modem and the adapter.

Upstairs, plug the other adapter into a convenient wall-plug, and run an Ethernet cable to your device.

> Do I have to buy a second modem to  do so?

Shaw does not sell the BlueCurve cable-modem - they only "rent" it.  However, Shaw's policy is that you would have to pay for a separate contract for a rental of a second cable-modem -- that could be expensive. From Shaw's web-site, it still seems possible to get "Internet 10" -- their lowest monthly-cost service, which might give you fast-enough "upload" speed to send your instrument's sounds -- it will be enough speed to "download" any video that is "incoming" to you.

TALK TO US
We're here to help