Outgoing mail server with authentication no longer working

dsmith43
Grasshopper

Hi, I have a Joomla website I'm running on a personal server and recently I've not been able to receive email sent to me from Joomla. Here are my settings:

Mailer:  SMTP
SMTP Port: 587
SMTP Host: mail.shaw.ca
SMTP Security: STARTTLS
SMTP Authentication: Yes
SMTP Username: my.name
SMTP Password:  mypassword

These settings used to work up until about a month ago.  When I click "Send Test Mail", the notification that I get is a successful attempt.

Are these now the correct settings for outgoing mail?  I think something has changed and I just don't know how to fix it.  Could Shaw be blocking ME and only ME?  I don't have a commercial or busy site at all and I don't think they're blocking port 587, 25, 110, 143, etc...

I got my information from here:  Email server settings: POP and IMAP (shaw.ca)

I got Shaw Support in chat and they couldn't figure out the problem. If anyone could help me get this going I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dan

Labels (1)
5 Replies

is it just the email from Joomla? If so, could be that th...

rstra
Grand Master

@dsmith43 is it just the email from Joomla? If so, could be that they are blocked. 

0 Kudos

I thought that too, but the support person in chat said n...

dsmith43
Grasshopper

I thought that too, but the support person in chat said none of those ports were blocked, and even if they were, 587 should still enable it to work.  I don't care about the other ones but if Shaw says you can set your outgoing mail to port 587, then there should be no question whether it works or not.  I must tell you, I'm running a Joomla site only, NOT an email server.

0 Kudos

-- I see nothing wrong with the "host" name. Shaw has mul...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dsmith43 -- I see nothing wrong with the "host" name. Shaw has multiple aliases for the same IP-addresses:

Aliases: pop.shaw.ca
Name: pop.glb.shawcable.net
Addresses: 64.59.136.142

Aliases: mail.shaw.ca
Name: shawmail.glb.shawcable.net
Addresses: 64.59.128.135

Aliases: smtp.shaw.ca
Name: shawmail.glb.shawcable.net

Aliases: imap.shaw.ca
Name: imap.glb.shawcable.net

If it is the "ports" that are not blocked, it could be the range of IP-addresses that Joomla uses, when they send E-mail to you, that Shaw is blocking.

0 Kudos

So if Shaw IS blocking it, how do I get it unblocked?

dsmith43
Grasshopper

So if Shaw IS blocking it, how do I get it unblocked?

Apparently it is shw-obgw-4002a.ext.cloudfilter.net that is blocking the connection.

0 Kudos

-- So if Shaw IS blocking it, how do I get it unblocked?...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dsmith43 -- So if Shaw IS blocking it, how do I get it unblocked?

This is a peer-to-peer discussion forum, where volunteers try to help, not a direct path to Shaw Support (1-888-472-2222). 

Apparently it is shw-obgw-4002a.ext.cloudfilter.net that is blocking the connection.

Shaw? Outbound? Gateway? External?

More than a year ago, Shaw "outsourced" all E-mail filtering (spam, virus, malware) to the Cloud Filter company (their web-site could be "www.Barracuda.com").  So, "cloudfilter.net" could be owned by Barracuda.

1964-Barracuda-fastback.jpg

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help