Pre-wired for ethernet ports, but cannot find the switch / panel

CCChris
Grasshopper

What I originally thought were phone jacks, are actually ethernet ports in each of my bedrooms.
However, I cannot find the patch panel anywhere in my home... the only place I can imagine is the small locked box that only Shaw can open.  This box is too small for a panel to exist, but maybe a switch can be in there.

Do I need a Shaw technician to activate these ports? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

Do you have an office or den in the home? In my previous...

Spatch
Grasshopper

@CCChris — Do you have an office or den in the home?  In my previous home, the two upstairs bedrooms had Ethernet connections which were wired down to the den/office.  They were hidden behind a wall plate.  Maybe check to see if you have any blank wall plates in the house where the bedrooms’ Ethernet cable terminals might be hiding.  Good luck.

0 Kudos

Condo or a house?

rstra
Grand Master

Condo or a house?

0 Kudos

No office or den but three bedrooms. I didn't consider b...

CCChris
Grasshopper

No office or den but three bedrooms.

I didn't consider blank wall plates, thanks for the suggestion!

0 Kudos

townhouse!

CCChris
Grasshopper

townhouse!

0 Kudos

If the Ethernet cable was installed by the builder, maybe...

rstra
Grand Master

If the Ethernet cable was installed by the builder, maybe ask the neighbours, the installs are usually the same, unit to unit. I have seen panels in laundry room or closets, bedroom closet and the closets near the front door. 

Depending in the type of enclosure, the network cable may be inside the box with the Shaw cable. Is the lock box inside? 

And per the suggestion from @Spatch look for those blank wall plates. 

0 Kudos

There's a big panel inside a locked room found in our par...

CCChris
Grasshopper

There's a big panel inside a locked room found in our parkade, I've seen inside it and all our townhouse units start from there.
After that, within each townhouse is a locked box and I had to get a Shaw technician to come in and do something to get our cable lines active for our Shaw modem to work.

I looked for the wall panels and found this panel underneath our cable lock box:

20210109_121738.jpg20210109_121810.jpg

There's two wires each coming out from the "modem" and "line" port, but none from the "phone" port.

*pictures rotated 90 degrees for some reason, sorry!

0 Kudos

That’s an old DSL/POTS splitter for your phone lines. I’d...

rstra
Grand Master

That’s an old DSL/POTS splitter for your phone lines. I’d keep looking. 

0 Kudos

There's another plate beside the ones i posted above, but...

CCChris
Grasshopper

There's another plate beside the ones i posted above, but I believe they are electrical wires.

20210109_131036[1].jpg

There's no other plate...
I'll check with neighbours but looks like it's within the lock box

Thanks for the help rstra!

0 Kudos

No problem. Give Shaw a call and ask if they can send som...

rstra
Grand Master

No problem. Give Shaw a call and ask if they can send someone by to open the box. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help