Remote desktop not connecting after switching to Hitron router

Not applicable

I access a remote desktop for work, and never had an issue until I swapped to the Hitron CGNM-2250 - now I can't connect (Error on windows PC says can't connect due to one of three reasons - remote access to server is not enabled, remote computer is turned off, remote computer is not available on the network.  On my macbook it says "we couldn't connect to the remote PC, make sure it's turned on, with error code 0x204).

I've disabled firewall on PC and Mac and port forwarded port 3389. I can't figure out what else this could be. I am able to reach the remote desktop without any issues from my office so it's nothing to do with the remote computer and definitely seems to be the new router. The remote connected requires a whitelisted IP, but we've double checked and my IP hasn't changed and is on the approved list. 

Any other ideas?

If it makes a difference, my PC is connected to the internet via ethernet and my macbook is on wifi. 

Tags (1)
4 Replies

Re: Remote desktop not connecting after switching to Hitron router

Not applicable

Are you using the Hitron as your router/gateway?  Or are you using your own router?

If you are connecting outgoing from home to the Remote Desktop, there is nothing on the Hitron to change.  Port forwarding would be for if you are connecting using Remote Desktop to a computer at home.

If you are using the Hitron as your router, then yes, your public IP will have changed with the new router.  If you are using your own router confirm that the Hitron is bridged, which will hopefully give your router back the IP you had before.

Use something like www.ipchicken.com and make sure that IP is registered with the Remote Desktop service.

0 Kudos

I am trying to add a portfowardng service to my Hitron ro...

gbushe
Grasshopper

I am trying to add a portfowardng service to my Hitron router so I can access my home computer remotely over the internet using Windows 10 Desktop Remote (port 3389) and I can't seem to add anything. When I try to add a service I can't put any number into either the public port range or the IP address without immediately getting an "invalid" message.  What am I missing??

0 Kudos

I just discovered on another forum that the invalid messa...

gbushe
Grasshopper

I just discovered on another forum that the invalid message comes up until you complete putting in all the numbers in both boxes in the port range, and in the IP address.  ARRRRGGGGHHH

0 Kudos

ahhh! Is it working as expected now?

shaw-tony

@gbushe ahhh! Is it working as expected now?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help