Routing issues

ghooker
Grasshopper

Shaw seems to have some routing issues happening.

I'm working around it by using a VPN, but otherwise, I can't reach Apple Music. Works fine over a VPN tunnel, or via my mobile provider.

Labels (1)
10 Replies

Seems to affect Apple News and app downloads as well. I s...

Stephenprice20
Grasshopper

Seems to affect Apple News and app downloads as well. I started talking to Apple, but now is see this.

0 Kudos

Also I tried at a shop using Shaw Go wifi, same issues. A...

Stephenprice20
Grasshopper

Also I tried at a shop using Shaw Go wifi, same issues. As OP says, cellular works fine.

0 Kudos

Same here, updates aren’t working on iPad OS.

rstra
Grand Master

Same here, updates aren’t working on iPad OS.

0 Kudos

that is certainly odd. Which modem do you have and what t...

shaw-tony

@ghooker @rstra @Stephenprice20 that is certainly odd. Which modem do you have and what troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

It seems to be working fine this morning. May have been u...

ghooker
Grasshopper

It seems to be working fine this morning. May have been upstream of Shaw, I was too busy to investigate further. Definitely looked like a routing issue though.

FWIW, I'm a veteran systems and network administrator, and a cyber security professional (CISSP, CISA, PCI QSA). 

0 Kudos

> Shaw seems to have some routing issues happening. It's...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Shaw seems to have some routing issues happening.

It's probably not the fault of Shaw.

If you want to drive from Edmonton to Regina, you can drive through Saskatoon, and then to Regina, or you can drive through Calgary, and then to Regina. Your choice will depend on which roads are temporarily closed.

Similarly, using a VPN, your traffic is going through different routers in a different city, than when not using a VPN.

The next time that it happens, open a command-line prompt, and use the "tracert" ["Trace Route"] command to get a list of the routers on the Internet path between you and Apple. Do it when the VPN is active, and repeat when the VPN is inactive, to see the differences.

0 Kudos

I just tried it on my Shaw connection and it worked for m...

matt
Grasshopper

I just tried it on my Shaw connection and it worked for me. Still an issue for you?

Hey Tony, all good this morning.

rstra
Grand Master

Hey Tony,

all good this morning. 

I was unable to use several Apple services, including App...

dougbuie
Grasshopper

I was unable to use several Apple services, including Apple Music, on January 24.

I reconfigured my router to use the Clouflare DNS (1.1.1.1 and 2606:4700:4700::1111).

This corrected the problem.

I seems there is an issue with the Shaw DNS resolver.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help