Shaw degrading over the last year or two...

MMS2
Grasshopper

I had a shaw modem die on me, completely...  No power... After having spent a considerable amount of time with tech support going through the usual steps, a new modem was sent to me, great!... but the new modem only works on wireless.  Called tech support and after having spent a long time with support they decided there was nothing they could do about it as it was above their mandate or words to that effect. Needless to say I am reluctant to spend another couple of hours with another 'technician'...  I will have to stick to wireless, then make a decision when my renewal comes due... a shame though I have been with Shaw since 1988...  Then there is the trouble with TV.  However that's for another discussion board.  Thanks for the rant...

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

-- ... a new modem was sent to me, great!... but the new...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@MMS2 -- ... a new modem was sent to me, great!... but the new modem only works on wireless. 

That is weird. Is Shaw going to send you another cable-modem?

Check the printing along the length of the Ethernet cable. It should read "CAT 5" (works up to 100 Mbps) or "CAT 5e" (works up to 1000 Mbps) or "CAT 6" (even faster).

Did Shaw get you to try a different Ethernet cable between the cable-modem and your computer?

Did Shaw get you to try a different computer connected via a different Ethernet cable?

When your computer is connected to the Ethernet cable, then when you connect the Ethernet cable into a LAN port on the cable-modem, a lamp on the cable-modem should light up (maybe green for 10 Mbps, or amber for 100 Mbps). Correct?

Got a friend with a similar cable-modem? Take your Ethernet cable and your computer, and connect to a LAN port on their cable-modem, to ensure that your equipment is OK.

> support ... decided there was nothing they could do about it, as it was above their mandate, or words to that effect.

That is not good service. They should have been trained to "escalate" the problem to a higher level, when their knowledge is not sufficient.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help