Jump to solution

Shaw email not working properly with Windows Postbox client

Kritiker
Grasshopper

My Windows 10 Pro email client, Postbox, had been working fine for some time. A few days ago, I started getting security alerts:

Postbox1.jpg 

I of course clicked cancel.

Changing the incoming port from 143 to 993 eliminated the security alert but I was still unable to retrieve email. Changing the incoming server from imap.shaw.ca to mail.shaw.ca had no effect, good or bad and, it seems, that mail.shaw.ca gets mapped back to imap.shaw.ca anyway.

After discovering the above I realized that I had another problem. I could send emails but not save them in the sent folder.

I have no difficulty with either Shaw webmail or mail on other devices. For example I can send and receive email on an iPad with no difficulty.

Everything was working just fine until this problem suddenly appeared.

Shaw chat tells me to talk to Postbox. Postbox believes that it has received one other query in a similar vein. Postbox tells me to speak with Shaw. I suspect that Shaw changed something or a certificate has expired or some such. I don't know enough to make even an educated guess.

Anyone have an ideas? Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

I had to delete and reinstall my email profiles in Postbo...

Kritiker
Grasshopper

I had to delete and reinstall my email profiles in Postbox. It auto-detected the settings (with incoming port 143) and all was well again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jump to solution

Waited too long to edit, so adding some detail here.

Kritiker
Grasshopper

Waited too long to edit, so adding some detail here.

Well, I got the wrong end of the stick. Somehow I thought that I had read that Shaw's incoming server was now mail.shaw.ca when it is still imap.shaw.ca and it is the outgoing server that Shaw specifies as mail.shaw.ca.

I set that back but now using port 993 instead of 143.

Some of my outgoing servers were still specified as smtp.shaw.ca (with port 587) but changing them to mail.shaw.ca didn't help.

When sending an email I get a quickly disappearing message saying Status: Connected to mail.shaw.ca immediately followed by 

Postbox2.jpg

and then followed by

Postbox3.jpg

Clicking OK leads to another "Connected..." followed by

Postbox4.jpg

At that point I have to cancel to get out of the loop.

These are all Postbox messages.

On 4th Feb 2024 everything still worked. It's now 7 Feb 2024.

I may just try deleting one of the accounts (from Postbox, that is) and reinstalling it.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thankfully Postbox on my PC isn't the only way I access t...

Kritiker
Grasshopper

Thankfully Postbox on my PC isn't the only way I access these emails and even more importantly, I have long-ago migrated essentially all of my email away from @shaw.ca or any ISP-specific email service. But every now and then, something comes in. 😉 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I had to delete and reinstall my email profiles in Postbo...

Kritiker
Grasshopper

I had to delete and reinstall my email profiles in Postbox. It auto-detected the settings (with incoming port 143) and all was well again.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help