Shaw Hitron Modem Lan port not Gigabit

Saito
Grasshopper

Hi,

My Shaw modem Lan port stays at 100M mode when connected to a switch while all the PCs are with Gigabit to the same switch. Is the modem defective?

Thanks

Labels (1)
12 Replies

Have you tried connecting any computers directly to the H...

rstra
Grand Master

Have you tried connecting any computers directly to the Hitron to see they connect at gigabit.  

-- My Shaw modem Lan port stays at 100M mode when connect...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Saito -- My Shaw modem Lan port stays at 100M mode when connected to a switch while all the PCs are with Gigabit to the same switch.

Which Shaw cable-modem?

Do you have a "CAT-5" Ethernet cable between the cable-modem and your switch?  Such a cable is only certified to 100 Mbit/second. Instead, use a "CAT-5e" (up to 1000Mbit/second) or "CAT-6" (even faster) Ethernet cable.  Temporarily, you could "borrow" the Ethernet cable that is connected to one of the PCs that are showing Gigabit, and re-measure.

Which switch? Are all the ports on the switch annotated as being Gigabit? I have seen switches that only have a few Gigabit ports -- the rest are 10/100.

> Is the modem defective?

Maybe, but not likely.

0 Kudos

All CAT-5e, all ports are Gigabit. I restarted the switch...

Saito
Grasshopper

All CAT-5e, all ports are Gigabit. I restarted the switch and the Modem is now Gigabit mode but it seems that after a while it get downgraded.

0 Kudos

--  it seems that after a while it get downgraded In what...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Saito --  it seems that after a while it get downgraded

In what way? Does the computer go from showing a Gigabit network connection to just 100 Mbps ?

What speed of Internet are you paying for?

when you run the Shaw Speed Test, what numbers do you get? 

0 Kudos

The downgraded link is between the modem and the switch,...

Saito
Grasshopper

The downgraded link is between the modem and the switch, after restarting the switch it is back to Gigabit and after a while it get downgraded to 100Mbps and stays there. Speed test shows 90 something after the downgrade.

0 Kudos

if you connect your PC directly to the modem bypassing th...

shaw-tony

@Saito if you connect your PC directly to the modem bypassing the switch, does it drop back to 100 Mbps after some time? Is your Hitron in bridge mode or in passthrough mode for the switch to work properly?

0 Kudos

> Is your Hitron in bridge mode or in passthrough mode fo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Is your Hitron in bridge mode or in passthrough mode for the switch to work properly?

A switch only "switches" -- it is not a DHCP-server.

So, for most Shaw accounts, when the Shaw cable-modem/router is in "bridged" mode, only the first computer connected to the switch will get an IP-address from Shaw's DHCP-server. In "bridged" mode, the DHCP-server inside the cable-modem/router is disabled.  The second computer to make a DHCP-request will not receive a response.

Some Shaw accounts are provisioned with two IP-addresses -- Shaw does not charge for this 2nd IP-address, but does charge for being provisioned with 3 or more IP-addresses.

So, if you are going to "bridge", connect a router (with its own DHCP-server), not a "switch".

0 Kudos

I don't think this Hitron router can do any mode other th...

Saito
Grasshopper

I don't think this Hitron router can do any mode other than just router. The switch is working the only issue is the router switch link get downgraded to 100Mbps. 

0 Kudos

I don't see that Hitron has any mode. I have not test the...

Saito
Grasshopper

I don't see that Hitron has any mode. I have not test the PC directly to the modem as it seems that the drop back to 100Mbps is random and may require a very long time.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help