-- I lived in a townhouse and subscribed to internet 300....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@WendyRmd -- I lived in a townhouse and subscribed to internet 300.  I average get 15Mbps download speed.  5mins just checked b4 I post this 8.0Mps. 

That is not normal, if you have an Ethernet cable (labelled along its length as "CAT-5" or "CAT-5e" or "CAT-6", but not "CAT-3") between your cable-modem and your computer. A CAT-5 Ethernet cable will send/receive up to 100 Mbits/second. If you have "Internet 300", you need the CAT-5e cable, to send/receive between 101 and 990 Mbits/second. If you have "Fibre+ Gig" or "Fibre+ 1.5 Gig", you need the CAT-6 cable.

How slow/fast is your computer's processor? When running the Shaw Speed Test, you need at least a "dual-core 2.5 Ghz" processor, to run the test at its full speed.

> I feel like I have subscribed to a traditional telephone line.

Such connections, from 20+ years ago, received at a maximum of 56 Kilobits/second -- 0.056 Mbits/second, and sent at a maximum of 28.8 Kilobits/second. Slooooooooooooooooooooooooooow !

> Telus installed ...

Note that if you live in a "big city", you probably could have upgraded to "Fibre+ 300", using the BlueCurve cable-modem, to get 300 Mbps/second downloads, and 100 Mbps/second uploads.  Maybe, the switch from your current cable-modem to the BlueCurve cable-modem might have been the "fix" to your extremely-low speeds, even without switching from "Internet 300" to "Fibre+ 300". But, now that you have switched, we'll never know what the problem was.

I've been experiencing strange drops in video streaming a...

Jeff74
Grasshopper

I've been experiencing strange drops in video streaming and long loading times on the same plan. Further, my usage - although it's unlimited - is skewed. I used more bandwidth when I was on Shaw's 150 plan because I was playing online games. I am regularly between 350-400 GB and I haven't played an online game in over a year. Explain that!?!? Moreover, they've done away with their student plans and technicians because they value profits over people. I would switch to Telus too, but they're no better in terms of customer support and rates. I will be hard pressed to remain with Shaw when my plan expires and hoping I can find an alternate ISP.

Upgraded to Gig Internet yesterday and after everything,...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

Upgraded to Gig Internet yesterday and after everything, I have the same or less speeds than I had with 600 MBPS. Pretty sad. Spoke with Tech support, chat, and they said that there was a lot of interference where I am. I still have the XB6, which the Tech said was supposed to do the job. I have setup for someone to come to the house on Tuesday to check everything out and I asked that the person who comes, to bring the XB7 to install as well. The Tech support at Shaw has GONE way down hill over the past tear or 2. Let's see what happens on Tuesday, I would have thought that the chat tech support person would have at least done a complete reboot/reset of the XB6, didn't do it. Anyway lets see what happens on Tuesday, as there is NO tech support anymore "in the office". Stay Safe.

0 Kudos

-- they said that there was a lot of interference where I...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@winterpeg -- they said that there was a lot of interference where I am. I still have the XB6, which the Tech said was supposed to do the job.

The interference probably is between the Shaw "demarcation" box on the outside of your home and the Shaw box hanging on/near the telephone pole, or maybe between that "hanging" box and Shaw's "backbone" network. If that is true, then changing from the XB6 to the XB7 is not likely to make any improvement.

Check that the coaxial-cable between your XB6 and your wall-port is tightly-connected at both ends. The Shaw technician can open that "demarc" box, and do the same for all the connectors.  Unless the technician brings a "cherry-picker" truck, and thus can go "up" the telephone-pole, that end-connector cannot be checked.

Got any squirrels that have been nibbling on the coaxial-cable at/near the telephone pole ?

In strong winds, does the cable from the "demarc" box to the telephone-pole "sway" in the wind? That "to-and-fro" can cause brittleness in the cable, impairing its signal-carrying capability. How old is that cable? 

Some participants in this forum have reported that replacing that segment of cable solved their issue.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the informed reply. What you say makes sense....

winterpeg
Grasshopper

Thanks for the informed reply. What you say makes sense. When Shaw installed my XB6 a few years ago, they sent someone out to check everything outside as well. We have underground services, but approximately a half mile from our home, the sub-division is connected to real telephone poles/lines. Shaw has been there with a pole truck in that area last week. Just to mention this, in that area, just outside our sub-division, is actual "fiber optic cable in the ground, not on the poles" running by. This was all installed over the winter. Not sure who owns it. I can hope it was Shaw but most likely Bell/MTS. I had to sign a 2 year contract to go from 600MBPS to Gig, so I had better get the Gig Internet. Shaw has 10 days to make it work, or I cancel the Gig and go back to month to month 600MBPS or call Bell/MTS. Stay Safe and wear a mask.

0 Kudos

Just to add to my conversation, this morning, all that I...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

Just to add to my conversation, this morning, all that I am getting is 200MBPS speed! https://shaw.speedtestcustom.com/result/863d6e30-c5fe-11eb-b87f-f9c84b7e605d

What is wrong with this!

0 Kudos

There have been some reports of modems not provisioning f...

rstra
Grand Master

@winterpeg There have been some reports of modems not provisioning for the correct speeds when upgrading, the support people should have tried to see if that would fix the problem. If there was “noise” in the area, I am not sure how a frontline rep would be able to detect that. Anyway, you are getting a better modem, so hopefully that fixes the issue.

0 Kudos

Exactly! The tech support person that I was "chatting" wi...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

Exactly! The tech support person that I was "chatting" with didn't do anything. For some reason, after they initially set up for me to get Gig speed, it did nothing and as you can see from the latest speed test, reduced the speed to the house!

0 Kudos

Latest speed test shows I am getting 300MBPS, but I get o...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

Latest speed test shows I am getting 300MBPS, but I get over a 100 upload(lol) https://shaw.speedtestcustom.com/result/d285ba70-c61e-11eb-b5a3-6914f42992f4

0 Kudos

-- We have underground services Sigh. If you do have a pr...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@winterpeg -- We have underground services

Sigh. If you do have a problem with "the last mile" -- that segment of coaxial-cable (or fibre-optic) coming into your home, then replacing that cable could require a major "dig a trench" solution, rather than taking 60 minutes to replace overhead cable from a telephone-pole to your home.

Maybe, it could be a bad coaxial-splitter inside Shaw's demarcation box. Presumably, you have one coaxial-cable going "in" to the box, and multiple coaxial-cables to your various rooms. Shaw can open the box, and replace the splitter. The technician also has a software tool on his mobile phone to measure signal-strengths into your devices (TV box, cable-modem, Shaw phone).

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help