Shaw service outage page does not render properly on slow machines.

Not applicable

Hello,

Shaw is my transit provider (I use a third-party ISP), and my Internet went out unexpectedly for planned maintenance. Apparently a notice was posted on the 14th.

Signing up for e-mail notifications of such outages is an option: but I am not sure how helpful that will be since my current machine is unable to properly render the notification page.

Northern Alberta 

Attached are two Chromuim profile captures of the page in question. The first is page load, while the second is idle. The page take more than 10 minutes to load properly (gave up after about 12).

The 40% idle in the idle profile is misleading due to hyperthreading. I am fairly sure the single CPU core stays saturated.

It is a Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, overclocked to 3.24Ghz.

The GPU is an Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cedar [Radeon HD 5000/6000/7350/8350 Series] (like 20W card)

Machine can only address like 3GB of RAM, but don't *think* that is the limiting factor.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Shaw service outage page does not render properly on slow machines.

vuservins
Grasshopper

I also didn't know about the planned outage.  I had been looking forward to a live sporting event on TV (late at night in Edmonton because the event was in Australia).  Top Cdn athletes were playing.  Then the cable went out.  Both TV and internet so I couldn't even stream it on the web.  Very upsetting and disappointing.

I then looked into subscribing to notices, which led to more annoyance.  My existing Shaw ID didn't work to login to community support, so had to create account.  Shaw, you're a tech company - get single sign-on...we shouldn't need multiple accounts.  Pretty convoluted process.  Shouldn't even need an account.  Why not just click a button and enter email address or ph num.

Anyway that outage was terrible.  Regardless if it was planned, it sure felt like unplanned to me since I din't know about the outage page and following it, at the time.

Not applicable

Did the attachments get deleted?

I suppose I should save a local copy in case asked for them.

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

Hey phillipsjk,

Thank you for reaching out! I haven't heard of any reports of issues with loading our service alert pages. Have you tried using a different browser or Chromium in Incognito mode with no extensions enabled? 

Keep me posted,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

I was able to load the page in incognito mode with all extensions disabled. I suppose that implies you were not able to reproduce the problem.

Extensions loaded were:

• Bookmark Manager 0.1
  • Chromium PDF Viewer 1
  • CryptoTokenExtension 0.9.46
  • Proxy SwitchySharp 1.10.6
  • uBlock Origin 1.17.4 (disabled this one through menu option for the report)

I did not choose those extensions myself: they were bundled with the knoppix Live DVD I am using.

Mozilla was able to load the page after disabling noscript: or manually allowing about 10 domains to pull scripts (3 reloads needed for that).

The page does not load properly for browsers not supporting scripting.

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

I've heard of some issues where Chromium doesn't load up for certain sites but will work in Incognito mode. I haven't personally been able to reproduce the issue but will forward your feedback to our engineers to see if a fix is available.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help