Jump to solution

ShawGo vs ShawOpen

Aryag460
Grasshopper

Hi there, at 805 Boyd Street in New Westminister BC, there is a ShawGo and a ShawOpen on my wifi list. I can connect to either of them and they work, but I dont know which one is legit. Are they the same thing? If so, why does Shaw offer them together in the same location?

Thank you

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

- before the COVID-19 pandemic, only the "ShawOpen" netwo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Aryag460 - before the COVID-19 pandemic, only the "ShawOpen" network existed, and you needed to authenticate with your My Shaw ID and password. If you were not a customer of Shaw, you could not access this network.

In reaction to the pandemic, Shaw graciously created the "ShawGo" network, and made it open to ALL people with WiFi-capable devices, exploiting their Access Point hardware to provide multiple, separately-named, networks.

If/when COVID-19 is "over", Shaw might possibly remove the "ShawGo" SSID.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Jump to solution

- before the COVID-19 pandemic, only the "ShawOpen" netwo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Aryag460 - before the COVID-19 pandemic, only the "ShawOpen" network existed, and you needed to authenticate with your My Shaw ID and password. If you were not a customer of Shaw, you could not access this network.

In reaction to the pandemic, Shaw graciously created the "ShawGo" network, and made it open to ALL people with WiFi-capable devices, exploiting their Access Point hardware to provide multiple, separately-named, networks.

If/when COVID-19 is "over", Shaw might possibly remove the "ShawGo" SSID.

Jump to solution

-- is "ShawGo" gone?     I have not seen any announcement...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Aryag460 -- is "ShawGo" gone?

I have not seen any announcement about its demise, but it seems to be NOT available, in the very few places where I have looked for it.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

ShawGo ceased broadcasting on April 7/22.

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk ShawGo ceased broadcasting on April 7/22. 

Jump to solution

-- Thanks for the information. Personally, I have not see...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra -- Thanks for the information. Personally, I have not seen any announcement.

The "login" page for ShawOpen still mentions "ShawGo".

Probably, Shaw is so busy with Rogers' offer that they have not removed every reference to "ShawGo".

It was nice while it lasted, and was good "public relations" to respond to the pandemic.

Don't look a gift-horse in the mouth   🙂

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

It seems obvious, but will the ShawOpen wifi points disap...

Tatiana2
Grasshopper

It seems obvious, but will the ShawOpen wifi points disappear with Rogers takeover? It's one reason I haven't needed a greater data plan on my phone, to be able to connect to wifi through my home plan.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help