Jump to solution

Slow upload

Themikeberg
Grasshopper

Essentially the title.

For the past two months I have been experiencing absolutely horrendous upload speeds. I have the internet 300 plan and while I never expect to get 100% of what is advertised, it seems odd to not even get half of the 15 mbps upload that I believed my plan came with. Below you'll find images to two seperate tests.

First test 

Second test 

I have 2 devices connected via ethernet and I cannot understand what might cause this issue. Any help would be great thank you!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Yes it was quite odd. After sitting through three separat...

Themikeberg
Grasshopper

@mdk Yes it was quite odd.

After sitting through three separate sessions with the agents via chat they eventually arranged for a tech to come out.

The tech support via chat had me do a factory reset three times, after the first factory reset wired connections seemed to fail entirely and I had to pull out my old (pre 2016) wifi stick to connect. (Which worked and again was odd).

The tech came by today, humored me and switched out the gateway for a new one. He was convinced that it was a windows related issue (which it could be but seems strange, unless some featrue update recently messed with my network settings).

Should also note that things were "out-of-spec" according to the tech in terms of performance, neat guy and quick on his feet.

Recent tests across various sites (fast.com, speedtest.net, speedtest.shaw.ca) all yield the results I originally expect. (~300mbps down/~10mbps up).

The tech absolutely went above and beyond to help me out so overall the issue is resolved, but I'm still not sure what originally caused it. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Jump to solution

Wired ethernet and getting speeds that low?!?!?! Hmmmm go...

chris_feller
Grasshopper

Wired ethernet and getting speeds that low?!?!?!
Hmmmm gonna think outside the box here, can you only have one device on during the test. 
Please confirm the ethernet connection is directly from the Modem/Router directly to the device. If you have anything connected in between like a switch, another router (you may lol, but some people...), or even a USB ethernet adapter then please let me know. 

Also for context in my region I almost always get the advertised speeds. Some regions can be congested. If after some troubleshooting I can point you in the direction to look next. 

You got this, let me know if you need any further help. 

Jump to solution

Slow upload

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Themikeberg -- it seems odd 

I agree. I recommend that you contact Shaw (www.chat.ca/chat) or 1-888-472-2222. Ask the Agent to remotely logon to your cable-modem, to view the "signal-strength" reaching it, and also to check other values for being "out-of-spec" for your uploads.

Also, try the Shaw Speed Test site, because that site will connect to a server in your city, to give you the "best" numbers.  Testing against a server in the USA will give smaller numbers, due to "network lag".

Jump to solution

Yes it was quite odd. After sitting through three separat...

Themikeberg
Grasshopper

@mdk Yes it was quite odd.

After sitting through three separate sessions with the agents via chat they eventually arranged for a tech to come out.

The tech support via chat had me do a factory reset three times, after the first factory reset wired connections seemed to fail entirely and I had to pull out my old (pre 2016) wifi stick to connect. (Which worked and again was odd).

The tech came by today, humored me and switched out the gateway for a new one. He was convinced that it was a windows related issue (which it could be but seems strange, unless some featrue update recently messed with my network settings).

Should also note that things were "out-of-spec" according to the tech in terms of performance, neat guy and quick on his feet.

Recent tests across various sites (fast.com, speedtest.net, speedtest.shaw.ca) all yield the results I originally expect. (~300mbps down/~10mbps up).

The tech absolutely went above and beyond to help me out so overall the issue is resolved, but I'm still not sure what originally caused it. 

TALK TO US
We're here to help