Slower download speeds in Windsor Park, Winnipeg.

aj4martin
Grasshopper

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this, I have 300 Mbps service and I usually get readings of 250-275 Mbps on a wired Shaw Speedtest. For the last week or so, I've been lucky to hit 100 Mbps day or overnight time. I'm quite sure my Shaw bill won't reflect this 2/3 drop in service...  😉 Upload speeds are normal 15-17 Mbps.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

speed tests will vary depending on the server you connect...

shaw-tony

@aj4martin speed tests will vary depending on the server you connect to, browser/network card firmware limitations, or even the signal to your modem. I'd recommend testing in different browsers (browser extensions may slow down your connection) using http://speedtest.shaw.ca/. Just to confirm, your connection is direct from the modem only and not through any switches/routers? 

0 Kudos

Yes it is connected directly to the modem Tony. Like I me...

aj4martin
Grasshopper

Yes it is connected directly to the modem Tony. Like I mentioned I always "used to" get 250-275 Mbps download but lately it maxes out at 95-100 Mbps and there have been no hardware changes at this end.

0 Kudos

FYI, Tony, tonight I ran a test with a shorter cable next...

aj4martin
Grasshopper

FYI, Tony, tonight I ran a test with a shorter cable next to the modem and downloaded at 290-330 Mbps. So the problem is somewhere on my CAT5 cable. Looks like it needs to be replaced. Thanks for your suggestions Tony, they helped me to track down the problem. 

-- the problem is somewhere on my CAT5 cable. You are 100...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@aj4martin -- the problem is somewhere on my CAT5 cable. There have been no hardware changes at this end.

You are 100% correct. That cable is certified only to 100 Mbits/second. A "CAT-5e" cable is certified to 1000 Mbits/second, while a "CAT-6" cable is even faster.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the info mdk, the strange thing is the cable u...

aj4martin
Grasshopper

Thanks for the info mdk, the strange thing is the cable used to get 250-275 Mbps, only lately did it start maxing out at 100 Mbps. Oh well at least I now know where the problem is.

TALK TO US
We're here to help