I upgraded my internet speed but haven't reached close to...

gloo
Grasshopper

I upgraded my internet speed but haven't reached close to the theoretical speed through the router.  Directly connecting through the modem I have been receiving closer to the expected speed.

I have already done a router restore.  I suspect it has something to do with the wiring.

0 Kudos

sounds like you are using a 3rd party router. I'd recomme...

shaw-tony

@gloo sounds like you are using a 3rd party router. I'd recommend power rebooting the modem and router at the same time so they establish a new connection. Are you only noticing issues over WiFi or are direct ethernet connections slow as well from the router?

0 Kudos

> When I connect a laptop directly to the Hitron I receiv...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> When I connect a laptop directly to the Hitron I receive the higher speeds.

Good, but I presume that you are using a CAT-5E or CAT-6 Ethernet cable.

> When I connect the laptop to the DIR655 (Ethernet) I receive similar high speeds.

Good, but I presume that you are using two CAT-5E or CAT-6 Ethernet cables -- "in" and "out" of the DIR655.

> When I connect the laptop to the DIR655 via Ethernet cable that’s installed in the wall, I receive the lower speed.

Not good.

> So I don’t think it’s either router ...

I think that your experimental results support your conjecture.

> but the wiring in the wall,  although I can confirm that it is a CAT5e cable. Any suggestions?

One "ugly" one -- pull enough of that cable out of the wall to read the lettering on the cable, to confirm that it really is a CAT-5e cable.

One not-so-ugly one, based on the fact that the DIR655 has multiple ports -- try that "wall-cable" in each port.

Can you connect the "wall-cable" directly to the Hitron, and then connect the laptop to the other end of that "wall-cable", and run the test?

Do all the "wall-cables" meet at some "junction" point in your basement, where there is a 10/100 Mbit "hub", not a 10/100/1000 Mbit "hub" ?  Could the "wall-cable" that is closest to the Hitron run "down" to the basement, to that "junction", then through a hub, and then "up" to the upper level, or does the "wall-cable" go strictly "up" to the upper level?

0 Kudos

I've done that and there is no change.  I am not receivin...

gloo
Grasshopper

I've done that and there is no change.  I am not receiving the higher speeds with both WIFI and Direct Ethernet Connections.

0 Kudos

> When I connect a laptop directly to the Hitron I receiv...

gloo
Grasshopper
> When I connect a laptop directly to the Hitron I receive the higher speeds.

Good, but I presume that you are using a CAT-5E or CAT-6 Ethernet cable.

Yes I am.  All cables are CAT-5E or CAT-6

> When I connect the laptop to the DIR655 (Ethernet) I receive similar high speeds.

Good, but I presume that you are using two CAT-5E or CAT-6 Ethernet cables -- "in" and "out" of the DIR655.

Yes

> When I connect the laptop to the DIR655 via Ethernet cable that’s installed in the wall, I receive the lower speed.

Not good.

> So I don’t think it’s either router ...

I think that your experimental results support your conjecture.

Is there any way I can "boost" the signal before it goes into the wall cables?

> but the wiring in the wall,  although I can confirm that it is a CAT5e cable. Any suggestions?

One "ugly" one -- pull enough of that cable out of the wall to read the lettering on the cable, to confirm that it really is a CAT-5e cable.

done.  it is CAT-5E

One not-so-ugly one, based on the fact that the DIR655 has multiple ports -- try that "wall-cable" in each port.

Can you connect the "wall-cable" directly to the Hitron, and then connect the laptop to the other end of that "wall-cable", and run the test?

Done.  same result

Do all the "wall-cables" meet at some "junction" point in your basement, where there is a 10/100 Mbit "hub", not a 10/100/1000 Mbit "hub" ?  Could the "wall-cable" that is closest to the Hitron run "down" to the basement, to that "junction", then through a hub, and then "up" to the upper level, or does the "wall-cable" go strictly "up" to the upper level?

nope.  Hitron ---> DIR655 ---> CAT-5e cable (wall) ---> Desktop computer or C2600(access point).  

0 Kudos

Excessive lengths of cat5e can cause problems, but I doub...

rstra
Grand Master

Excessive lengths of cat5e can cause problems, but I doubt this is the case. Could be a faulty cable termination or too close to noise sources. 

Hi all. Tried everything again. Same result. Any suggesti...

gloo
Grasshopper

Hi all. Tried everything again. Same result. Any suggestions?  Again here are the connections: 

Hitron ---> DIR655 ---> CAT-5e cable (wall) ---> Desktop computer or C2600(access point)

0 Kudos

Note that the DIR-655 router is "end-of-life" and it supp...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Note that the DIR-655 router is "end-of-life" and it supports the (slower) "Wireless N" protocol, not the (faster) "Wireless AC" protocol. So, the maximum speed over its WiFi will be about 200 Mbps, not the 300 Mbps over Ethernet cable.

> Hitron ---> DIR655 ---> CAT-5e cable (wall) ---> desktop computer or C2600(access point)

Measure Hitron --> short CAT 5e cable -> desktop computer (if the computer also has built-in WiFi -- my Dell does -- then "disconnect" the WiFi connection, to force the computer to send/receive through the Ethernet cable)

Measure Hitron --> (disconnected Ethernet cable) --> WiFi adapter on the desktop computer

Measure Hitron --> CAT 5e cable --> DIR655 --> CAT 5e cable --> desktop computer (without WiFi)

Measure Hitron --> CAT 5e cable --> DIR655 --> WiFi --> (disconnected Ethernet cable) --> desktop computer

Measure Hitron --> CAT 5e cable in the wall --> CAT 5e Ethernet cable --> desktop computer (without WiFi)

Measure Hitron --> CAT 5e cable in the wall --> C2600 --> CAT 5e Ethernet cable --> desktop computer (without WiFi)

Measure Hitron --> CAT 5e cable in the wall --> C2600 --> WiFi --> (disconnected Ethernet cable) --> desktop computer

Tell us the results.

TALK TO US
We're here to help