[spam] insterted by Shaw servers in subject line of e-mails I send

WRJZ
Grasshopper

Why are your Shaw mail servers for incoming mail  flagging e-mails from me as [spam]. From both my <wrjanzen@shaw.ca> and <wjanzen38@gmail.com> addresses.
An internet search finds many people having similar problems. Comments/articles on the Shaw web site are no help; and they do not reveal what black list(s) Shaw servers are using, or rules. Or how to specify the spam score that triggers a [spam] tag; as one could with Uniserve.com.

Wayne  Janzen <wrjanzen@shaw.ca>
Port Alberni, BC

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies

It could be that your IP address is blacklisted, there ar...

rstra
Grand Master

@WRJZ 

It could be that your IP address is blacklisted, there are tools online to check.

0 Kudos

-- E-mail headers generated when you use the web-based GM...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@WRJZ -- E-mail headers generated when you use the web-based GMail client do not expose the IP-address of the sender.

Through the My Shaw Portal, can you create another E-mail ID, and send a very-simple message from that ID?

Do you have a "signature-file" that might be triggering some spam-filters? That "new" ID will not have such a file.

To which ID on what ISP are you sending? Hotmail? Yahoo Mail? Telus?  Rogers? Each of them has unique mail-filtering rules.

Can you send to "wriz@mailinator.com", wait a few minutes, and then access "www.mailinator.com", and do a search for all messages (all 1 of them) sent to "wriz" ? You should be able to see all the E-mail headers that Mailinator has received.

0 Kudos

Thanks. Went to  Tools-WhatisMyIP.com and entered my comp...

WRJZ
Grasshopper

Thanks. Went to  Tools-WhatisMyIP.com and entered my computer's IP address into the blacklist checker. My IP was not on any of the blacklists checked.

- My ISP is Shaw. I have a Shaw POP3 mail account, and a...

WRJZ
Grasshopper

@mdk  - My ISP is Shaw. I have a Shaw POP3 mail account, and a Gmail IMAP mail account.

I send a newsletter to my Concert Band members each week from my Gmail address. From Gmail because about a year ago Shaw began limiting group mails to just 10 addresses. A few weeks ago copies of the newsletter stopped arriving in my Shaw Inbox. I found that the Shaw server was (and continues to) inserting "[spam]"  into the subject lines.

Other members in the band list who have Shaw mail are also finding that the mail from me is being tagged as [spam]. This does not seem to be happening  for Gmail users.

My outgoing Gmail messages do not have a 'signature file'.

0 Kudos

-- can you post your newsletter to your web-site, and the...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@WRJZ -- can you post your newsletter to your web-site, and then send a hyperlink to the document, on your web-site, to your subscribers?

0 Kudos

- Thanks, but I do not have a web-site. My band newslette...

WRJZ
Grasshopper

@mdk @rstra - Thanks, but I do not have a web-site. My band newsletters are simple HTML (with text version as well) and usually with No enhanced characters or graphics. But sometimes links to Youtube videos.

Yesterday, June 7,  I logged into my Shaw web mail account with Firefox, and sent a test msg to myself. It did not get flagged as [spam]. Then continuing with Fierfox I logged into my Gmail (IMAP) account, and sent a test msg to me at Shaw. It too did not get flagged as [spam].

On using Thunderbird Mail client to do similar tests;  the e-mails I received had [spam] inserted in in the subject line. So till a problem.

Today June 8 this morning my Shaw internet connection was down.  So I powered off cable modem, paused, plugged back in. Then rebooted the HP desktop (which is running Win 10). Still no ether or wi-fi connection. Rebooted modem and desktop again. Computer still said there was no internet connection, although it detected my modem's wi-fi signal. I then had to go out. On returning about 3 pm I found that my iPad had a wi-fi connection, and the desktop had both ether and wi-fi connections. A mystery.

Using the iPad, I sent a msg from me @ shaw to myself @ shaw. It arrived without the [spam] tag.

Then using the HP desktop and Thunderbird; I sent a msg from me @ shaw to myself @ shaw, and from me @ Gmail to myself @ shaw. Neither was tagged as [spam]  Hooray!   But still a Mystery. Did the rebooting of modem fix the problem? Or did Shaw change their spam detector service or settings? Or what?

0 Kudos

--  I logged into my Shaw web mail account with Firefox,...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@WRJZ --  I logged into my Shaw web mail account with Firefox, and sent a test msg to myself. It did not get flagged as [spam].

Normally, your IP-address connects to the IP-address of "mail.shaw.ca", and is flagged. 

When using Shaw WebMail, your IP-address connects to the IP-address of "webmail.shaw.ca", and is not flagged.

Name: shawmail.glb.shawcable.net
Addresses: 64.59.136.142 / 64.59.128.135
Aliases: mail.shaw.ca

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: webmail-login.glb.shawcable.net
Addresses: 64.59.175.71 / 64.59.175.70
Aliases: webmail.shaw.ca

Notice the differences in IP-addresses of the two Shaw servers.

Then continuing with Firefox I logged into my Gmail (IMAP) account, and sent a test msg to me at Shaw. It too did not get flagged as [spam].

Your IP-address connected to the IP-address of the GMail web-server, and that IP-address does not get flagged, because the E-mail headers generated when sending through GMail do NOT show the IP-address of your computer.

Name: google.ca
Addresses: 2607:f8b0:400a:800::2003 / 142.251.215.227

Both an "IPv6" and an "IPv4" address. are available.

0 Kudos

--  I powered off cable modem, paused, plugged back in. T...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@WRJZ --  I powered off cable modem, paused, plugged back in. Then rebooted the HP desktop (which is running Win 10). Still no ether or wi-fi connection. Rebooted modem and desktop again. Computer still said there was no internet connection, although it detected my modem's wi-fi signal.

It is possible that you did not wait long-enough for the cable-modem to fully restart. It could have enabled your WiFi connection long before it was able to connect to Shaw Internet.

Patience.

0 Kudos

Maybe you got a new ip address from Shaw when you reboote...

rstra
Grand Master

@WRJZ  Maybe you got a new ip address from Shaw when you rebooted the modem?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help