Jump to solution

-- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum. I recom...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@DeclynLefebvre -- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum.

I recommend that you contact Shaw ( www.shaw.ca/chat or 1-888-472-2222 ) and get a Shaw Agent to remotely logon to your cable-modem, to view and interpret its internal statistics, looking for "out-of-spec" values, that will impair your upload/download speeds.

What speed are you paying for, and, via the Shaw Speed Test, what are you actually getting?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Well, I am new to this discussion. I, as well, am NOT eve...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

Well, I am new to this discussion. I, as well, am NOT even close to receiving the Gig speed that I upgraded to on Tuesday. All of the tests were done, as well, Shaw Techs were out at the house on Tuesday. The most that I can get is about 650/700MBPS. The techs replaced the splitters and we installed a new XB7 as well. My "PC" has 2.4 Ghz and the WIFI can accommodate up to 866Mhps and the Ethernet is Gig speed rated. I get the same 600MBPS on both Ethernet and WiFi, NO difference. My concern maybe that the CAT cable coming into my house is 35 years old!  I asked them to run a new line from the outside community box, which is in front of my neighbor's house. They would have to go under his driveway to get to my house. They said that their was something wrong with my "PC"!, so no new cable to the house. Shaw, over the winter, installed actual fiber along the main street leading into our small subdivision. I was paying for 600MBPS before I upgraded to Gig, what am I paying for?

The following Shaw speed test is through WiFi: https://shaw.speedtestcustom.com/result/f0494730-ca0a-11eb-8178-55fed117ce10

Again about 650MBPS. Me thinks I need a new cable connected to the neighborhood box!

I have called Shaw tech  multiple times, and no change. Probably one more call. Sad about what has happened to Shaw in the past 2 years, NO More Loyalty department and defiantly less Tech Support. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- I am NOT even close to receiving the Gig speed that I...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@winterpeg -- I am NOT even close to receiving the Gig speed that I upgraded to on Tuesday. The most that I can get is about 650/700MBPS.

It would be great to get 650 MB/second; you're probably getting 650 Mb per second ("bytes" versus "bits").

Your screen-capture shows "642.8 / 79.4" as an average speed. Depending on your Shaw contract, you should have been getting either 600/100 or 750/100 or 1000/100 or 1500/100, through your previous XB6 modem. If you previously had the HITRON cable-modem, your maximum would have been (slightly over) 300/15.

Experiment:

1. Bypass that coaxial-splitter: wall-socket --> coaxial-cable -> XB7 -> Ethernet cable -> your computer.
  2. Start the Windows "Task Manager".
  3. Click to its "Performance" tab.
  4. Click on the icon for the network connection.
  5. Hopefully, you'll see that there is no current traffic -- maybe small "peaks" of 150 Kbits/second, due to network "chatter". [Kilo-bits, not Mega-bits.]
  6. Minimize this window.
  7. Launch the Shaw Speed Test.
  8. Restore the Task Manager window, to view the "instantaneous" speeds during the test.
  9. Do you see "peaks" that go well above that average speed? [Screen capture?]

I presume that your computer is "fast" -- more than 3.0 Ghz -- so that the Shaw Speed Test is running at its full speed within the web-browser's window. Correct?

> My "PC" has 2.4 Ghz and the WIFI can accommodate up to 866 Mhps and the Ethernet is Gig speed rated. I get the same 600MBPS on both Ethernet and WiFi, NO difference.

The "no difference" part makes sense: 600 actual out of 866 maximum for your WiFi adapter, and 600 out of 940 for your Ethernet adapter. Note that Shaw gives you 1,000,000,000 bits/second, per your contract. Repeatedly divide that "base-10" number by 2, to get 953 times 2**20, which Shaw reports as 950 Mbits/second.

That "2.4" gigahertz is the frequency (think of tuning to a specific frequency on your AM/FM car-radio) at which your wireless network adapter communicates with the wireless network adapter inside the XB7.

> My concern maybe that the CAT cable coming into my house is 35 years old!  I asked them to run a new line from the outside community box, which is in front of my neighbor's house.

Small point: that cable is coaxial-cable, not CAT-cable.

> They would have to go under his driveway to get to my house.

Well, if that cable is inside a "tube", there may be enough difference between the outer-diameter of the coaxial-cable and the inner-diameter of the tube to allow them to just "pull" new cable through the tube. Unhook the old cable's connector from its socket inside the box, connect that connector to a connector on the end of the new cable, go to the other end (Shaw's "demarcation box" on the outside of your home, and start physically "pulling". No "digging", and, hopefully, the weight of his vehicle onto the driveway has not flattened the tube to "pinch" the old cable to cause it to "bind", instead of being loose-enough to be pulled.

Maybe, the Shaw technician could snip-off the connectors of that old coaxial-cable, and very quickly add new connectors ?

> They said that their was something wrong with my "PC"!,

How friendly is your neighbour? Is he a Shaw Internet customer? Will he oblige, if you take your XB7 and your computer into his house, disconnect his cable-modem, and connect yours, and use your computer to run the Shaw Speed Test, namely going through his in-ground coaxial-cable, not yours, into that community box ?

> Shaw, over the winter, installed actual fiber along the main street leading into our small subdivision.

Yes, Shaw promotes their network as "Fibre-Plus" -- over 99% fiber-optic cable, with coaxial cable going the "last mile".

> I was paying for 600MBPS before I upgraded to Gig, what am I paying for?

What speed were you previously getting?

> I need a new cable connected to the neighborhood box!

Contact Shaw, and make sure that the XB7 is "provisioned" for 1000/10, not what I am guessing was your previous (600/100) speed.

> I have called Shaw tech  multiple times, and no change. Probably one more call.

Did the Shaw technician measure and interpret the "signal-strength" reaching your XB7? Bad values will diminish your speeds.

> Sad about what has happened to Shaw in the past 2 years, NO More Loyalty department

The argument is that if you were to get a "loyalty" discount, then all the other Shaw customers would pay more to offset your discount. You can choose to believe, or not, that argument.

> and defiantly less Tech Support. 

Defiant? Definite ? My experiences with the Shaw Technicians who make the site-visits has been 10-out-of-10. With one notable exception, namely an Agent in Winnipeg, whom I think was released from employment after I made an official complaint about his attitude, the Shaw Agents on chat/telephone generally have been "good-to-excellent". But, I'm not in Winnipeg.  🙂

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

You should reply to your previous post, so we can follow...

rstra
Grand Master

@winterpeg You should reply to your previous post, so we can follow along. Anyway, the drop may be direct buried, that could be why the technicians are reluctant to reluctant to replace the line, going under the driveway makes it even more difficult. If there is conduit, then it would be a lot easier to replace the line.

How long is the line on your street? The fact that there is an amp in your house, leads me to believe there is an issue with the drop. Your only option may be to downgrade to 600, like you say, there is no point in paying for gig speeds if there is no way to get that speed.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

80 feet and Shaw would have to go under my neighbor's dri...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

80 feet and Shaw would have to go under my neighbor's driveway. Yes, they changed out the old amp and replaced it with am Arris amp. 

A little frustrating. Lets see what happens with one more call to Tech Support to check out the XB7 configuration.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

The 35 year old cable coming into the house has this stam...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

The 35 year old cable coming into the house has this stamped on it :

621-4466-695TC M.T.S. 59 BURIAL by AMPERNOL Canada

I will be contacting Shaw support tomorrow to have them check out the XB7 setting as make sure that I am not still on the 600/100 Internet plan.

I can NOT test the line coming into the house as I do NOT has a "joiner" to connect the XB& directly to the cable with  nothing else connected. The guys who came out should have done that.

Let's see what happens tomorrow. I still am leaning to the cable from the neighborhood box needing replacement. It is under a 25 foot wide concrete driveway. Stay Safe

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hi Grasshopper - I'm having the exact same issues with my...

PG78
Grasshopper

Hi Grasshopper - I'm having the exact same issues with my internet speed.  Who did you switch to?  I think I might need to do the same.    

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

That looks like it is RG59 direct buried cable. It tends...

rstra
Grand Master

@winterpeg That looks like it is RG59 direct buried cable. It tends to have a lot of loss on the higher   frequencies, which isn’t great for cable tv and internet. Luckily, it isn’t a super long run.

Jump to solution

Well, the experts agree that it should NOT be used! RG59...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

Well, the experts agree that it should NOT be used!

RG59 cable has been around for a long time. This cable used to be what most people used for their cable TV connection and is very commonly installed in older homes and commercial buildings. However, many modern signal requirements have made this cable less popular in the last few years. RG 59 has a smaller conductor than RG 6, which means that it can’t achieve the same signal quality as RG 6. The way its shielding is designed also means that it doesn’t keep Gigahertz level signals inside the conductor very well. This is why RG 59 probably isn’t a good choice for your TV or internet connection.

The braided shielding in RG 59 was designed around (relatively) long waveforms of megahertz interference. That makes it good for lower frequency signals (anything under about 50 MHz). It is commonly used for composite or component video signals (often in the mini-coax variety). That also makes it a good choice for a closed circuit television (CCTV) video surveillance system. You can even make your installation easier by getting what’s called “Siamese coaxial cable.” This cable consists of a RG 59 cable merged together with a 2C power cable. By using this type of cable, you can run the power and video for your security cameras simultaneously, effectively cutting your install time in half.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Good for old analog cable though. Nobody could have antic...

rstra
Grand Master

@winterpeg  Good for old analog cable though. Nobody could have anticipated digital cable, but they could have at least put it in a conduit to be easily replaced.

TALK TO US
We're here to help