Speedtest

SusanaQ
Grasshopper

I've used the Shaw Speedtest.  Why is my download speed so variable?  I've gotten 108 Mbs up to 323.

I'm finding Netflix can't play a program, sometimes - it just buffers and I get a Netflix error message.

Labels (1)
4 Replies

When you run Speedtest be sure to restart your device fir...

rickatk
Master

@SusanaQ wrote:

I've used the Shaw Speedtest.  Why is my download speed so variable?  I've gotten 108 Mbs up to 323.

I'm finding Netflix can't play a program, sometimes - it just buffers and I get a Netflix error message.

When you run Speedtest be sure to restart your device first. Also try restarting your router to clear any issues. Finally check in with Shaw, ask them to reprovision your modem.

-- I've gotten 108 Mbs up to 323. I'm finding Netflix can...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@SusanaQ -- I've gotten 108 Mbs up to 323. I'm finding Netflix can't play a program, sometimes - it just buffers, and I get a Netflix error message.

Netflix does not require a "high-speed" connection, such as 108 Mbps. That would make it unusable for many Internet users.

My guess, since I don't subscribe to Netflix, is that it will require less than 5 Mbps.

So, my conclusion is that you have some other problem with your computer.

When you watch YouTube videos, does it "stutter" and "buffer" ?

When you watch videos via www.ShawConnect.ca do the videos "stutter" and "buffer" ?

Do you have a friend with a notebook computer who can temporarily connect to your cable-modem, and run Netflix? Any problems when using their computer, instead of yours?

0 Kudos

Netflix watching is from an LG OLED TV, which is connecte...

SusanaQ
Grasshopper

Netflix watching is from an LG OLED TV, which is connected via wifi network.  The network router is in another room.  The TV router is in the same room as the TV.  I do the speediest from my iMac, which is connected/hard wired to the Shaw modem/router.

0 Kudos

Odd speed fluctuations for a wired computer, but those sp...

rstra
Grand Master

Odd speed fluctuations for a wired computer, but those speeds are fine for Netflix. I wonder if there is any wifi interference?

TALK TO US
We're here to help