Switching from Ethernet Cable to Wifi

LionsGate
Grasshopper

Currently we use Ethernet cables to bridge both PC's (one in one room and other in another room) to the modem. Neither PC is WiFi capable.I was thinking of buying something like the D-Link Wireless AC1200 Dual Band PCIe Desktop Adapter (from London Drugs) for each PC. What are the pros and cons of using WiFi instead of Ethernet? For example: speed, latency, reliability, security. Seems Ethernet cables rank higher in all those 4 parameters. BTW, there are both office/work PC's. I's just that I have so many cables, and would like to knock it down a bit. Also, if I decide to stick with Ethernet, might be time to swap out the really old ones with new ones. If so, what type should I go for? Thanks in advance!

CEO & Founder
LionsGate Creative
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

generally speaking.  Wifi is a set limit. shaw now advert...

dragonstone634
Grasshopper

generally speaking. 

Wifi is a set limit. shaw now advertising 1gbps wifi is 1000mbps like ytour internet shared between devices. With ethernet and switching capabilities you can do 5gbps of ethernet traffic at a time. it is generally 1000mbps both ways with enternet. Ethernet is more secure, less latency, overall a better stable connection.

let me give you an example. I have a nas with a 10gbps card feeding a switch. Using multiple devices I have maxed out that 10gbps connection to various devices in the home at the same time.

wifi is all about convenience, convenience comes at a cost from speed, reliability, latency and security. Wifi is hackable and all someone needs is the password and gains full control of your network. its all dictionary based attacks, the more random the harder it will be to gain access. 

0 Kudos

-- is the cable-modem in the same room as one of the comp...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@LionsGate -- is the cable-modem in the same room as one of the computers? If so, keep using an Ethernet cable between that computer and the cable-modem. Read the print on the length of the cable. If you see "CAT 5", replace the cable with "CAT 5e" or "CAT 6", because a "CAT 5" cable is limited to a maximum of 100 Megabits/second, while "CAT 5e" maxes-out at 1000 Mbps, and a "CAT 6" cable is even faster. But, since your computer probably has a 10/100/1000 Ethernet adapter, there is no current advantage to using "CAT 6" cables.

Yes, the WiFi adapter that you are considering will work well, up to whatever speed you are paying Shaw to receive, especially if there is only one "wall" physically between that computer and the cable-modem.

If your I.T. Department correctly configures the cable-modem to use "encrypted" transmission over WiFi, nobody can "sniff" your packets.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help