I haven't applied any recent updates to my iPhone, it is...

appleMacTech
Grasshopper

I haven't applied any recent updates to my iPhone, it is still running iOS 12.4 which is by no means "old". Shaw surely must support this iOS as not everyone is going to run out and buy new iPhones just to be able to use Shaw services. This problem has been going on for MONTHS now, it all started just before Christmas and absolutely nothing was changed on any of our iPhones or computers at all. THIS IS ALL A SHAW PROBLEM, IDENTICAL TO THE PROBLEMS THAT WERE FREQUENTLY OCCURRING BACK IN 2009/2010.

ShawTony, how about an update on this situation please??? Over 3 weeks now since you said " I am advised that our engineering team is applying some patches to alleviate some performance issues. I do not have a current ETA."

0 Kudos

Checking E-Mail On iPhone Taking Forever And Ever

appleMacTech
Grasshopper

I am an Apple Certified Macintosh Technician, ACMT. I have posted this in a couple of other places but nothing at all is being done about it. Checking my e-mail on my iPhone 8 Plus which is running iOS 12.4 is taking longer and longer and longer every day. Starting yesterday, it is has become the worst it has ever been, sucking up all my battery power and cellular time. It is taking 30 seconds now to check 8 Shaw email accounts (using Apple Mail) which used to take all of about 1 to 2 seconds. This entire problem began a week before Christmas of 2019 and nothing has been the same ever since. As a technician, I have done absolutely everything possible within my means to troubleshoot the issue on my end including numerous different types of phone resets, complete email deletions and reconfigurations. Nothing I do resolves the problem so this has got to be a Shaw problem. No matter which network I am on whether it is the Rogers cellular network, whether it is a coffee shop Wi-Fi network, whether it is my home network, the problem still exists. I have been promised "fixes" by Shaw in other posts (over 3 weeks ago ticket # ENOP0007174). What on earth is going on and is this ever going to be resolved? I will just keep posting here over and over and over again until I get an answer. I have lost every ounce of respect for Shaw that I ever had as a result of the way this has been handled.

0 Kudos

I am sorry for the delay in response and updates. I have...

shaw-tony

@appleMacTech I am sorry for the delay in response and updates. I have sent a request to our engineer to provide us an update. Just to ensure we've ruled out everything. Have you tried setting your emails using ActiveSync settings instead of IMAP? 

0 Kudos

I tried that yesterday with only one account, made no dif...

appleMacTech
Grasshopper

I tried that yesterday with only one account, made no difference. And I lost all of the saved e-mail on my iPhone for the new ActiveSync account in doing so -- messages in old IMAP "Sent" and "Saved Messages" folders did not transfer over to the new ActiveSync account).

0 Kudos

hmm, the update provided by our engineer is that the patc...

shaw-tony

@appleMacTech hmm, the update provided by our engineer is that the patch has been completed. I don't see any delays when testing on an iPhone 10 using IMAP or ActiveSync. Do you see any connected devices in your "Connected Devices & Apps" settings?

0 Kudos

Which iOS are you running, 12 or 13?

appleMacTech
Grasshopper

Which iOS are you running, 12 or 13?

0 Kudos

running iOS 13.3.1. I have tested this on an old Samsung...

shaw-tony

@appleMacTech running iOS 13.3.1. I have tested this on an old Samsung S8 with no issues as well (IMAP & ActiveSync). The experience is snappy on both. Can you temporarily turn off 7 of 8 emails to see if a singular one still delays for 30 seconds (via IMAP or ActiveSync).

0 Kudos

I was able to get hold of a colleague’s iPhone running iO...

appleMacTech
Grasshopper

I was able to get hold of a colleague’s iPhone running iOS 12.4 for our app testing purposes so I wiped my iPhone clean, did a complete fresh install of iOS 13.3.1. Reconfigured all of my email accounts from scratch (IMAP). Exact same problem. As a matter of fact, a bit worse than it was when I was running iOS 12.4.

If I turn seven of the eight Shaw email accounts off and leave only one email account on to check mail, it is still not snappy, it is INTERMITTENT. With just one account activated, it will be 5 seconds. Then 15 seconds on the next check. Then sometimes 30 seconds. And this has been the whole problem since just before Christmas of 2019 when all this started - INTERMITTENT. It makes no difference which account I turn on or off. One or two or three Shaw email accounts, or six or seven all at random. Keep in mind that NONE of this happened until a week before Christmas and I did not change a single thing on my iPhone until yesterday when I upgraded to iOS 13.3.1 from 12.4.

Also note that I have an iCloud email address and an old Telus email address that I check from this iPhone so there are a total of 10 email accounts that are checked with Apple Mail. If I turn OFF all eight of the Shaw email accounts and leave ONLY the iCloud and Telus accounts on, the mail checks in a split-second and works 100% perfectly. Note that the problem happens with my neighbours Wi-Fi, with our Wi-Fi and over the Rogers cellular network. It does NOT happen on our computers, only on the iPhone.

NOW, hear me loud and clear. This all proves in itself that THIS IS A SHAW PROBLEM. It is ONLY the Shaw email accounts that cause the problem.

HOW DO WE FIX THIS?

0 Kudos

Let me just clarify the INTERMITTENT part of my above rep...

appleMacTech
Grasshopper
Let me just clarify the INTERMITTENT part of my above reply. The slowness of checking my email is ALWAYS there. What I mean by intermittent is that sometimes there is a 20 second delay, other times there could be anywhere up to 40 seconds+ of delay checking email. There is no set time, thus it is intermittent. But the problem ALWAYS exists whether I use one Shaw account or all eight of my Shaw accounts. The only time the delay goes away is if I turn OFF all eight Shaw accounts and only check my iCloud and Telus accounts. Those two email accounts work perfectly, so fast that you can barely see them. With the Shaw accounts activated, the progress wheel spins and spins and spins and…
0 Kudos

thank you for trying all of that. Ultimately, delays with...

shaw-tony

@appleMacTech thank you for trying all of that. Ultimately, delays with 3rd party clients are out of our scope of support. Our engineers have completed the updates to resolve any performance issues. My only other suggestion is to try using other ports or POP to see if the same results show up. Do you notice any performance issues when it comes to https://webmail.shaw.ca/?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help