-- So they sent an installer over Did you ask them to sen...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@megatherium -- So they sent an installer over

Did you ask them to send an installer? Did the Shaw Agent tell you that it would be a chargeable site-visit?

he simply split the feed to the tv and was gone.

That was the simple solution. The more-complicated solution would be for the installer to run another coaxial-cable from the "wiring-closet" somewhere on your floor of the apartment-block all the way into your little apartment - breaking into walls and other complications.

> Yesterday I received a bill for $111.95 for the home visit.

My guess is that if you posted to this discussion forum, somebody would have recommended that you self-install a 1-to-2 oaxial-splitter, just like the Shaw installer did.

> I can't see how a lack of infrastructure in the apartment for to accommodate their equipment could be considered my fault.

I cannot see how Shaw is at fault for the decision by the construction company to run just one coaxial-outlet into your little apartment.

> I think I the modem itself or the ethernet cable this guy installed are defective.

The only way to tell is to experiment: temporarily connect the Shaw cable-modem directly to your only wall-outlet, with a coaxial cable, and connect your computer, via an Ethernet cable, to one of the ports on the cable-modem.

Then run the Shaw Speed Test. Do the speeds you actually match what speeds that you were promised by your contract with Shaw?

Use the coaxial-cable that probably was working fine, when connected to your TV, before the cable-modem was shipped to you, presuming that it is a "known-good" cable.  Also, repeat the Speed Test with the coaxial-cable provided by Shaw -- it should not make a difference in the reported speeds.

Start with the Ethernet cable provided with the Shaw cable-modem. Look closely at the printing on the length of that Ethernet cable, to be sure that it is labelled either "CAT 5e" or "CAT 6" -- a "CAT 5" cable will limit you to a maximum of 100 Mbits/second.  Also, borrow a different Ethernet cable from a friend, and try the Speed Test while using that cable.

Also, if your computer also has a WiFi network adapter, disconnect the Ethernet cable from the computer, and configure the computer to connect to the WiFi network inside the cable-modem -- the ID of the network, and the password, are printed on a label on the cable-modem. Rerun the Speed Test. If you have an older computer, you may get a maximum speed up to 150 Mbps. A newer computer may have a much-faster WiFi adapter, between 600 and 950 Mbps.

> The signal has been weak.

Has your TV reception been good? No pixellation? No lack of synchronization between audio and video? No "freezing" of the video?

Tell us the results of running those various Speed Tests.

Also, contact Shaw, and ask the Agent to remotely logon to your cable-modem, to view the "signal-strength" reaching the cable-modem, because "bad" signal-strength can cause your symptoms.

> I'm getting freezing whenever I leave the desktop for a minute or two.

Are your computer's "power" settings currently set to "always fully on", or "maximum power saving" ?

Is your computer set to turn the monitor to "power-saving mode" after 10 minutes of inactivity, thus making the screen "go dark", and require intervention by you (space-bar, or wiggling the mouse) to return the computer to "full-on" mode?

> Really bad experience with Shaw so far

I disagree. You were able to talk to Shaw Support. They were able to dispatch a technician into your little apartment. They were able to quickly add the splitter, to allow simultaneous TV & Internet, as per your request. What is "bad" about that?

0 Kudos

-- I am experiencing the same problem I disagree. The Oth...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Sadman -- I am experiencing the same problem

I disagree. The Other Person's has two problems:

1. (unexpectedly?) being charged for a site-visit that allowed the sole cable-outlet in his little apartment to be simultaneously used by TV and cable-modem. That is not the same as your problem.
  2. getting intermittent Internet. That is not the same as your problem.

> the only solution I have been offered

In your other threads within this discussion forum, you have been given other suggestions:

1. contact Shaw, and ask for some accommodation,
  2. "sub-lease" your Shaw contract to a friend, to have the friend pay the monthly Shaw fees for the duration of the contract that you signed, at their location, after cancelling their own contract (if the cancellation fee is any smaller for your friend),
  3. actually switch to Shaw Direct (satellite-based) TV service, to see if Shaw will transform your contract from cable-based to satellite-based,
  4. go to the media, such as the CBC,

What sort of "solution" do you want? Your day in BC Small Claims Court? Cancellation of your contract with Shaw?

All your repetitive posts are being read by the same group of contributors to this forum. They have tried to help you, but they seem to be running-out of ideas. You can only irritate those contributors by metaphorically "flogging a dead horse".

0 Kudos

-- I know it's not Shaw's fault that my building was buil...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@g-idk -- I know it's not Shaw's fault that my building was built screw-ball

My current house was built in 1956. Originally, it had just one telephone-jack in the kitchen, and a TV antenna on the roof, with a "ladder" cable (two parallel copper strands) connecting into two posts on the B&W TV. There was no such thing as "coaxial-cable". Also, there was one electrical-outlet in each room, other than separate wiring for stove & refrigerator, with just two sockets per outlet.

Was that "screwball" building, or a foggy crystal-ball that did not predict computers, printers, microwave ovens, juicers, toasters, and stand-alone WiFi devices that you can answer your spoken questions? 

It was a different time, with different standards - not "screwball" at all.

Re-watch the "Back To The Future" series of movies. They did not predict portable cellular telephones.  Screwball?  🙂

0 Kudos

Hi  , I get the point your making, but the building I'm r...

g-idk
Master

Hi @mdk , I get the point your making, but the building I'm referring to was built in 1984 and coaxial outlets were pre-installed during construction, not an after thought.  They only installed one outlet in each apt. in the living room, 1 or 2 bedrooms didn't matter.  Like you say at the time I guess they didn't think people watched tv in their bedrooms (go figure).  Another strange thing they did was no bedrooms in any apt. have an overhead light, they have a switch on the wall but it controls a single power plug near where a person's bed would go.  So you have to make sure you buy a night stand lamp to be able to see at all in the bedrooms at night, and the switch controls it, or you turn it off manually.  I guess back then they didn't think people wanted to actually see there bedroom.  lol.  Back to future are great movies😀.  Oh by the way I'm losing patience with our new friend as well, you know who I mean.  Have a great night.  Stay Safe. 

0 Kudos

Happy to have some new friends

Sadman
Grasshopper

Happy to have some new friends

0 Kudos

I’m told “your voice” can maybe help you with your problems

Sadman
Grasshopper

I’m told “your voice” can maybe help you with your problems 

0 Kudos

I had no issues with signing successive 2 year contracts...

Stewart13
Grasshopper

I had no issues with signing successive 2 year contracts after experiencing rising rates.  Shaw has responded to service calls, delivering on all requests.  The problem I have is that we are moving and despite my desire to continue with Shaw (after more than a decade) they do not serve the populated area of Greater Vancouver where we will now reside.  I was offered a pause in the contract and a re-start date at our new residence, however it was determined that this was not possible.  Apparently, Shaw has a policy to review circumstances individually, but it seems that the company's lack of service in an area is not one of the conditions considered.  It would seem to be a good business practice to take service into account, especially for loyal customers.  If my last bill includes a cancellation fee, Shaw and then Rogers, will never see another request for service.  However, it will make for a good story I can tell for years!

0 Kudos

-- [Shaw] do not serve the populated area of Greater Vanc...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Stewart13 -- [Shaw] do not serve the populated area of Greater Vancouver where we will now reside.

That is strange.  From: Save with Internet & TV Bundles | Shaw

choose any plan, and you will be asked to enter the proposed service-address, to see if that location is serviced.

P.S. Twice in 2020, Telus offered me $200 in "Telus Credit" to offset Shaw's "cancellation charges" if I cancelled the remaining months on my Shaw two-year Value Plan. I declined, but that $200 covers 10 months, at $20/month, of the cancellation fee. Plus, of course, you don't pay the $100 to $200 that you would be paying to Shaw for those 10 "cancelled" months. Contact Telus, and ask if that "buy-out" offer is still available.

0 Kudos

I believe that moving out of the Shaw service area used t...

rstra
Grand Master

@Stewart13 I believe that moving out of the Shaw service area used to be a valid reason to break the terms of the value plan and cancel early, they should bring back that option. 

0 Kudos

Yes we are experiencing the same buffering on a regular b...

lou202020
Grasshopper

Yes we are experiencing the same buffering on a regular basis and have complained but the problem persists. The quality of service is completely unacceptable. Not only is the TV buffering  but Its also effecting our ability to work from home on the internet, which was never a problem with Tellus.

In addition,  Shaw are now over billing us above the monthly rates in our agreement.  I intend to terminate the service and if Shaw/Rodgers wants to challenge this in court - I will be happy to challenge

TALK TO US
We're here to help