-- more evidence that other speed tests are more accurate...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dietpepsirocks -- more evidence that other speed tests are more accurate in real world situations than others.  Maybe you should begin believing me on this huh mdk?

If you want to determine the actual speed from your computer through your cable-modem to a Shaw "speedtest" server in your city/town, use the Shaw Speed Test  -- this will show how well the cable-modem is performing, compared to what speed that Shaw has contracted to give you.

If you want to determine the speed going across Canada to the CIRA "speedtest" server, you are measuring something different than the Shaw Speed Test.  Lots of "network latency" on each Internet segment.

If you want to determine the speed going from Canada across the international border into a "speedtest" server in Washington State, use "speedtest.net".

Watch the Summer Olympics -- the 100-meter sprinter is very fast over a short distance, while a marathon runner is nowhere near that speed. The two races are different tests of aspects of human performance.  Get it?

0 Kudos

Example of a "cross-Canada" trace to CIRA's server: $ tra...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dietpepsirocks 

Example of a "cross-Canada" trace to CIRA's server:

$ tracert performance.cira.ca

Tracing route to cira-ipt-env-prdv4.eba-qhfx2djs.ca-central-1.elasticbeanstalk.com [3.97.95.35]

4    11 ms  rc1bb-be20.vc.shawcable.net [66.163.75.245]
  5    12 ms  rc1st-be25.vc.shawcable.net [66.163.69.198]
  6    25 ms  rc3no-be11-1.cg.shawcable.net [66.163.72.69]
  7    43 ms  rc2nr-be110-1.wp.shawcable.net [66.163.76.58]
  8    67 ms  rc3fs-be25.mt.shawcable.net [66.163.76.22]
  9    64 ms  66.163.66.70
 10    65 ms  52.93.3.102
 11    68 ms  52.93.3.111
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13    70 ms  150.222.246.15
 14    71 ms  52.94.82.188
 15    70 ms  52.94.83.173
 16    73 ms  52.94.83.164
 17    72 ms  52.94.82.161
 18    74 ms  52.94.81.2
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25    70 ms  ec2-3-97-95-35.ca-central-1.compute.amazonaws.com [3.97.95.35]

Vancouver -> Calgary -> Winnipeg -> Montreal -> cross-over to the Amazon AWS network [52.93.xxx.yyy]

Definitely not a "local" speed-test.

0 Kudos

--  you showed some puzzling  routing:   3 12 ms rd4ha-be...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@miX_ --  you showed some puzzling  routing:

3 12 ms rd4ha-be103-1.ss.shawcable.net [64.59.181.37]
  4 17 ms rc2ar-be50.ed.shawcable.net [66.163.73.30]
  5 19 ms rc2we-be7.ed.shawcable.net [66.163.70.129]
  6 18 ms rc3no-be6.cg.shawcable.net [66.163.64.69]
  7 31 ms rc1st-be11-1.vc.shawcable.net [66.163.72.70]
  8 45 ms rc1bb-be25.vc.shawcable.net [66.163.69.197]
  9 42 ms rc3ar-tge0-6-0-16.ed.shawcable.net [66.163.76.42]
10 37 ms a23-11-242-9.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [23.11.242.9]

Saskatoon -> Edmonton-70-30 -> Calgary -> Vancouver -> Edmonton-76-42 -> www.microsoft.com

Ah, the "fun" of Internet routing tables.  🙂

0 Kudos

Those two speed tests did NOT show the problem(s) I was h...

dietpepsirocks
Grasshopper

@mdk 

Those two speed tests did NOT show the problem(s) I was having with the network.  And you were one of the people essentially denying the problem I had because you were arguing in favor of these speed tests.

Let me give you a bit of advice, dont use SHAW SPONSORED speed tests to test SHAW internet.  Do you think maybe thats a conflict of interest?

Shaw Speed Test AND Speedtest.net AND the netflix one did not pick up the problems I had before.  I ran diagnostics of uploads to all different sources and servers, everything from dummy drop box files to twitch servers around the world.  I had the same problem in all real world uploads, yet those 2 upload sites you source out to people didn't show my problem.

0 Kudos

This is a graph of a 48 hour period of my bitrate streami...

dietpepsirocks
Grasshopper

This is a graph of a 48 hour period of my bitrate streaming to the Twitch servers.  Around 8pm (or so) the graph begins to get very fuzzy on April 13th and April 14th around the same time, until around 1 am.  Around April 14th 8:14 am or so, the upload was unstable for over 40 seconds straight.  All over the graph you can see the upload (bit rate) dipping well below 2000, in some cases either 0 or in the 700's.

In a 48 hour period I dropped over 40,000 frames, due to the poor upload connection.  Before the Shaw engineer on the ground found the problem, I was dropping about 50% of my frames from upload problems, now if you take a totality of an average over 2 days, its only around 0.5%, however, thats because it will go through periods where its just fine and then it will drop, drop, drop, drop.

6000 bit rate (which is what I set my streamlabs to) is = to around what, 6 Mbps?  My upload should be able to handle up to 100.  However, max speed isn't the issue consistency of the connection is. 

Investigating even further, I noticed my download seems to be spiking too (sometimes I'm trying to go to different webpages and it seems like its stalling sometimes) I did the CIRA speed test and I'm getting an average max speed between ~380 Mbps to 480 Mbps (or so) when its suppose to be up to 1000.  The upload is also around 70-80 Mbps according to the CIRA speed test.  Shaw Speed tests show maximum speed, as usual.

Live Streaming is almost impossible.  Even though that graph doesn't look SUPER HORRIBLE, its enough to completely mess up a broadcast.  The stream can be "OK" for maybe 10-15 possibly even 30 minutes at a time, and suddenly get REALLY bad due to the connection.  Its not normal for the connection to be this poor.  There is something wrong and the Shaw engineers need to find out whats going on.

With 10-15 upload, I use to have a perfectly consistent, flawless broadcast.

I can do this test on other servers, in different parts of the country, in other countries too.  So far of the 3 problems I have made Shaw aware of, they screamed bloody murder, its not them its not them, and eventually they check the node and they find the problem.  The problem is, the front line workers aren't used to dealing with more complex problems, and they give you the run around.  All 3 techs who came to my house, were unable to find any problems with the internet until one of them was smart enough to phone an engineer who worked at Shaw who could check out the node.

So, now what?  Where are the Shaw engineers in this forum?  One time they had so many of us complaining about uploads and they "released a patch" and it fixed an upload problem I had before.

APRIL13.png

0 Kudos

-- Let me give you a bit of advice, dont use SHAW SPONSOR...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dietpepsirocks -- Let me give you a bit of advice, dont use SHAW SPONSORED speed tests to test SHAW internet.  Do you think maybe thats a conflict of interest?

What "conflict of interest" ?

I have never been employed by Shaw. I have never worked for Shaw.

The point of using the Shaw Speed Test is to show the actual speeds in-and-out from your cable-modem to a Shaw server in the same town/city as you.  The results you are getting are showing THERE IS A PROBLEM, and the problem affects all your "speedtests" to those remote sites (CIRA, SpeedTest.Net).

Since this is a peer-to-peer discussion forum, my recommendation is that you contact Shaw ( www.shaw.ca/chat ) or 1-888-472-2222, and tell the Shaw Agent the very-slow results when you use the Shaw Speed Test. Ask the Agent to remotely logon to your cable-modem, to view the "signal-strength" reaching your modem, and to view other measurements.

Your problem is somewhere:

1. slow computer -- you need at least a dual-core processor running at 2.2 Ghz to run the Shaw Speed Test at its full speed;
  2. faulty Ethernet cable between your computer and your cable-modem;
  3. the cable-modem;
  4. loose connections of the coaxial-cable between your cable-modem and the wall-socket;
  5. faulty coaxial cable;
  6. possibly, a faulty 1-to-2 coaxial-splitter (TV and PVR into the splitter, one cable out to the wall-socket);
  7. faulty wiring inside the walls of your residence;
  8. faulty coaxial-splitter inside the (locked) Shaw "demarcation box" on the outside wall of your house;
  9. faulty connector on the coaxial-cable between that "demarc" box and the nearest telephone-pole;
  10. damaged coaxial-cable -- bite marks from squirrels and other animals;
  11. problematic Shaw infrastructure up-and-down your street.

Since none of your diagnostics have been fruitful, ask Shaw to schedule a technician to check many of the above failure points. That's the only way to get to a remedy.

0 Kudos

I wonder who doesn’t at least have a dual core processor? 😂

rstra
Grand Master

I wonder who doesn’t at least have a dual core processor? 😂

0 Kudos

mdk, To the best of my knowledge all of those things wer...

dietpepsirocks
Grasshopper

mdk,

To the best of my knowledge all of those things were checked in the last ~8 months.  And why aren't you including noise within the node in the problems you've listed?

I was told by a Shaw engineer that there was a resident in my node who had MTS modem hooked up to Shaw infrastructure sending noise through the node.  They had to go to this persons place and unhook their modem.

Seems to me you are underestimating the amount of problems that are actually outside the home, beyond my own street.

0 Kudos

Noise is a common problem on the cable plant, the most co...

rstra
Grand Master

Noise is a common problem on the cable plant, the most common noise issue comes from Telus equipment, probably a certain amount of MoCA too. The technicians are pretty good at tracking it down.

0 Kudos

I believe they are if they know about it... all 4 problem...

dietpepsirocks
Grasshopper

@rstra 

I believe they are if they know about it... all 4 problems involved the node that I have had with upload (so far)

Also I have a Ryzen 3900X I wouldn't be streaming with a potato.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help