Uploading attachments in Shaw webmail

boardie
Grasshopper
I'm a member of a condo board, and use a Shaw email account to send stuff, via "Bcc", to a list of condo owners and residents. I've been doing this for a while. Yesterday I couldn't get webmail to accept uploads of documents. I tried both "Firefox" and "Brave" (which is based on Firefox). After a lot of attempts yesterday, changing things here and there, I finally figured out this morning that the upload works for PDF's but not for the same data as a Word .DOC or .DOCX . This is new - I've done .DOC in the past. I'm a programmer, so my thoughts are that this could be some new security measure put in place in the last month or so. It could be in my browsers, in the Shaw webmail client (I use the basic one), or in something in Shaw's email servers. Anyone got any clues as to what is going on?
Labels (1)
13 Replies

I haven't heard of any reports of this issue. I just test...

shaw-tony

@boardie I haven't heard of any reports of this issue. I just tested this using my personal @Shaw email account with a Microsoft Word DOC and DOCX file with no issues. It may be your browser (extensions) or signature format that is causing the issue. When you try to upload the file, it just doesn't attach? I am using Google Chrome in Advanced (Ajax) mode. Can you swap modes and remove any signatures to see if the file will attach?

0 Kudos

> Yesterday I couldn't get webmail to accept uploads of d...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Yesterday I couldn't get webmail to accept uploads of documents.

What error-message did you get?  Did it "send" properly?  Did the recipient (even yourself) not "see" the attachment?

Your E-mail has a "quota" (listed near the bottom of the Shaw WebMail page) of disk-space. Are you near that limit?

0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply. I went to try out the AJAX mode, an...

boardie
Grasshopper

Thanks for the reply.

I went to try out the AJAX mode, and it worked. It also worked when I switched back to HTML mode. Silly me, I should have first tried to reproduce without changing anything. Logged out and back in, still in HTML mode, and it still worked.

The symptom was the "Client Error try again" message when clicking on "Done" in the upload selector panel. That selector showed the files to be uploaded - the problem was in processing them. Today it was different files, from the same directory. I had checked for any permission problem, and the files were under 100K.

If I encounter this again, I'll try switching to AJAX mode. I run NoScript in Firefox, but have enough stuff enabled that Shaw Webmail works for me. My other tries were with Brave, which doesn't have NoScript, but blocks various trackers, etc. This is on Ubuntu Mate, but that shouldn't matter.

Thanks for the reply. See the reply I just made to "shaw-...

boardie
Grasshopper

Thanks for the reply. See the reply I just made to "shaw-tony".

I had thought of the "quota" but wasn't even close to it. I deleted all emails from everywhere anyway, and that didn't change the symptom at the time.

-boardie

0 Kudos

I'm now having the same issue. Windows 7, I usually use F...

Tinman2
Grasshopper

I'm now having the same issue. Windows 7, I usually use Firefox but tried Chrome, same problem. I've never experienced it before, so something has changed. Tried with jpeg, doc, and png files, no difference.

0 Kudos

-- Windows 7, I usually use Firefox, but tried Chrome, sa...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Tinman2 -- Windows 7, I usually use Firefox, but tried Chrome, same problem.

I booted-up an old Windows 7 desktop -- Microsoft's support for Windows 7 ended on January 14, 2020 -- and used Shaw WebMail under Internet Explorer 11, and ".doc" and ".docx" and ".pdf" files were attached, and were successfully sent. This computer is using Microsoft Security Essentials as the anti-virus software, with no browser-extensions.

Did you try "safe" mode in those other web-browsers? Or, "in private" mode?

0 Kudos

Tried safe mode, private window, not using any extensions...

Tinman2
Grasshopper

Tried safe mode, private window, not using any extensions, lots of capacity under the 1GB, still not working. Old IPAD can send attachments using Shaw Webmail on Safari. Something changed.

0 Kudos

are you in Ajax mode or HTML? You can check this in your...

shaw-tony

@Tinman2 are you in Ajax mode or HTML? You can check this in your preferences (general tab). Select Ajax mode.

I tested and don't see any issues using Chrome. If it's still working on your iPad, then the issue may be localized to your PC.

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos

I tried using Chrome and Edge and still have the problem

lloyd7
Grasshopper

I tried using Chrome and Edge and still have the problem 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help