Very disappointed with Shaw

HVandale
Grasshopper

I've been with Shaw for several years. I have Internet 15 and for me, that's all I need it for. I only have one laptop that I use for playing simple Facebook games and checking email. I have had the same router for 3-4 years and within the last months or so, the internet keeps cutting out. The signal is fine. On my laptop, it shows that there is a connection, but the internet itself does not work. My laptop is up to date and is within 5 years old. I've taken this laptop elsewhere and never had any connection drops. Only in my suite does this happen. The router is close to the laptop with no obstructions in the way to interfere with the connection.

I tried contacting Shaw to try and have a technician come and see if there's a problem with the router itself, but the person I spoke with was adamant about the issue having nothing to do with Shaw and therefore would not allow us to schedule a tech to come and see. She also said that we could upgrade to a newer router, but that it would cost us $4 more. It's not the money that matters. It's the principal, that I'm paying so much a month for something that is supposed to work all the time and now I'm being told I have to pay extra to have a connection that works all the time.

There is no issue with our phone and TV. Only the internet. I had a technician come and check and he verified that the laptop works fine and that the issue is coming from the router itself. He looked online and noticed that many people who have this particular model also experience the exact same issues (i.e. frequent and arbitrary connection drops).

If I cannot get this issue resolved soon, I will have to cancel my internet and switch to MTS. The technician that was here has MTS and has never had any problems regarding connection drops. Like I said, it's insulting that Shaw wants me to pay extra for a new router, because the one I have now is faulty and does not work all the time. As someone who pays every month for service and has never had an issue with payment, I cannot understand why they would want me to pay more to get what I should already receive. The lady I spoke with was 100% positive that the issue is to do with signal interference. My technician friend assured me that is not the case, because the laptop is connected to the router with full bars, but the internet itself is not coming through.

She also told me that if I do decide to get a new router, that I would have to go to Polo Park to get it. I am disabled and I cannot get there easily. Once again, as a paying customer who is having issues with Shaw equipment, I would think Shaw would deliver the proper equipment and set it up for me, as I have little to no knowledge about how computers work. I only use it to do basic things.

I've provided some links that show that other people have had the same problem with this particular router. Each one is the same as mine.

https://www.amazon.ca/Cisco-DPC3825-Wireless-Router-802-11n/product-reviews/B0093N5XXO

https://www.techyv.com/questions/cisco-dpc3825-router-keeps-dropping-wifi/

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/wifi-internet-connection-drops-every-few-seconds-to-minutes....

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Archived-Posts/Cisco-DPC3825-Internet-Speed-Disconnecting-Issu...

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Archived-Posts/CIsco-DPC3825-TERRIBLE-How-do-I-work-around-it/...

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/how-improve-wifi-connection-cisco-dpc3825-rogers-1249203/

Labels (1)
4 Replies

You’re in MB? I have exactly the same problem right now but...

HR3
Grasshopper

You’re in MB? I’m having exactly the same problem right now but in AB. They have always told me through support chats that they cannot send someone out but they can. Technicians are here right now trying to find the problem. I’ve been having ongoing problems since contracting with them in August. It was a big mistake to enter a contract. I should have tried them first. Prior to this, I was at another location in the same city and the internet was fine, never like this. On chat support, they went on and on about “interference”. Well, first of all, my last internet provider provided without problems. Secondly, my LTE connection is at full bars so signals can’t be that significantly interfered with. For an analytical, solution focused person like me, this is absolutely infuriating. They can see that I’ve been connected for 3 hours (since last trying a restart on my transmitter). I am secured on my device, yet no signal. At least there are actually technicians here. Maybe it is because too many people complained? I suggest talking to your neighbours and asking them to report outages if they haven’t. Still, when it has been just me reporting this issues for months, they will not respond. I was told they do not schedule technicians to come out for signal issues (WHAT???). I have screen shots of that. I was incredulous. Now that I am requesting to be released from my contract with penalty due to failure to provide, they cannot cancel my contract UNLESS I have a technician come out first 😂. Also, now there has been more reporting around me, for whatever reason so they have a message that my area is having issues. I think it’s reprehensible that me, as 1 person, I don’t qualify for an investigation into my internet. The company is happy to take my money until multiple people are involved. I feel like going to the press. I agree that it’s the principle. I pay for internet, SHAW provides it. That is the understood mutual contract. If SHAW takes my money but does not provide its services, yet refuses to release me without penalty... that’s really does not sit well with me.

0 Kudos

BTW, same plan. Support always reports to me that my sign...

HR3
Grasshopper

BTW, same plan. Support always reports to me that my signal looks strong from what they can see. I have screen shots showing my laptop saying “secured but no internet” at the same time that they are telling me that my signal looks strong. They couldn’t even confirm my reality. How are they support? No tools, no power, no solutions. Perhaps “customer redirection” is a better label. I have started to takes note about dates and times that my internet is not working. Today, nothing works. Today is unusually bad and I have the day off so I have been able to contact support more often. However, this is an ongoing problem. I choose to use streaming instead of cable and my TV is always telling me it has lost connection to the internet. At least once per viewing block.

0 Kudos

You might try downloading & installing the "trial" versio...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

You might try downloading & installing the "trial" version of the NET STUMBLER software.

It shows the "channel" and "strength" of each WiFi network in range of your computer.

If your location has too many devices "competing" on the same "channel", you could be experiencing "interference".

Even a wireless telephone system in your home could be a source of "interference".

Configure your Shaw device to a different channel, reboot your computer, and see if things get better.

0 Kudos

I appreciate your long-standing business with us and apol...

shaw-tony

@HVandale I appreciate your long-standing business with us and apologize for the experience you had with our team member. I definitely want to make this right, please send me a quick PM so I can schedule you a service technician to get that installed for you.

@HR3 I took a quick look at your account and see the signal is very out of spec. It may be related to an area issue that our technical crews are investigating and working towards a resolution right now. It is tracked under INC626160. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help