Want to use ethernet cable for home office but modem is upstairs

Sharkete
Grasshopper

Hi,

I've been running a long ethernet cable from our Fibre+ Gig BlueCurve Gateway XB6 WiFi Modem in our living room to my work PC.  I'm moving my office downstairs and would like to keep a wired connection as I've found it is quicker.  We never get the advertised speed anyways, even using the wired ethernet with only one device working.  Our house from the 1970's and only has the old cable outlets - no ethernet connections.  Do I need to get a second modem?  Will it connect okay or interfere with the other modem?  Do I call Shaw to get them to install a new cable connection?  There is no cable outlet in that room but an unused one goes right by it we could cut and move.  Or is it better to get a new cable installed?  Really not sure what the options are. 

Thanks, SK.  

Labels (1)
5 Replies

You could either move the modem to the new location or ru...

rstra
Grand Master

@Sharkete 

You could either move the modem to the new location or run a network cable to the modem. Shaw won’t supply a second modem or install a network cable, but they would install a a cable line for you in your office, if possible and for a fee. Give them a call. 

0 Kudos

If you can’t run an ethernet cable from your XB6 (do it p...

rickatk
Master

Fun project running ethernet cable…be careful with the drilling. I ended up with an extra ceiling plate on one of my jobs. 😱

0 Kudos

If you can’t run an ethernet cable from your XB6 (do it p...

rickatk
Master

@Sharkete wrote:

Hi,

I've been running a long ethernet cable from our Fibre+ Gig BlueCurve Gateway XB6 WiFi Modem in our living room to my work PC.  I'm moving my office downstairs and would like to keep a wired connection as I've found it is quicker.  We never get the advertised speed anyways, even using the wired ethernet with only one device working.  Our house from the 1970's and only has the old cable outlets - no ethernet connections.  Do I need to get a second modem?  Will it connect okay or interfere with the other modem?  Do I call Shaw to get them to install a new cable connection?  There is no cable outlet in that room but an unused one goes right by it we could cut and move.  Or is it better to get a new cable installed?  Really not sure what the options are. 

Thanks, SK.  

If you can’t run an ethernet cable from your XB6 (do it properly with face place etc) then you will have to rely on a pod or other extender. You are correct, the latter is slower.

0 Kudos

You can try to run Ethernet over Coax. The most cost effe...

steppedflower
Grasshopper

You can try to run Ethernet over Coax. The most cost effective way is to use DECA adaptors. The speed is limited to 100M only, but for $40, I think it's worth every penny. 

2 PACK - DIRECTV Broadband DECA Ethernet to Coax Adapter - Third Generation (with 2 AC Power Supplie...

I have been using it for years. Super easy to setup, pretty much plug and play.

0 Kudos

-- would like to keep a wired connection as I've found it...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Sharkete -- would like to keep a wired connection as I've found it is quicker.  We never get the advertised speed anyways, even using the wired ethernet with only one device working

What speed are you paying for Shaw to provide? What speed are you getting, if you connect a laptop via Ethernet cable to one of the Ethernet ports on your BlueCurve?  If you disconnect the Ethernet cable from your laptop, and enable the laptop's WiFi, what speed do you get, via the Shaw Speed Test ? The WiFi speed will depend on the laptop's WiFi adapter: "G" for 56 Mbps, "N" for 150 or 300 Mbps, or "AC" (for the smaller of 1200 and the speed you are paying to Shaw).

Do I need to get a second modem?  Will it connect okay or interfere with the other modem?  

You will need to pay separately for the second account.  

Think about people living in a MURB (Multiple Unit Residential Building) -- there is no interference for "wired" connections in each unit, but the WiFi "clouds" from each cable-modem do overlap a lot.

Do I call Shaw to get them to install a new cable connection?  There is no cable outlet in that room but an unused one goes right by it we could cut and move.  Or is it better to get a new cable installed?  

When you say "cable", you either want a coaxial-cable with a second cable-modem, or you want an Ethernet cable. Or, as the Other Persons stated, Ethernet-over-power works, and putting a WiFi "pod" in the basement, with an Ethernet cable from it to your computer will also work.

Also, buying a WiFi-adapter that connects to a USB port on your computer will work as well as a "pod".

Does your computer have its own built-in WiFi adapter? Some desktops do!

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help