What (if any) ports are blocked on Shaw Residential service?

paul_fielding
Grasshopper

I've been using Shaw Business internet service for many years, due to having non-typical internet needs and the desire to do various server hosting.  In recent times those needs have both reduced some, combined with internet connections now being much faster, and with residential pricing generally consistently less than business pricing, I'm considering switching to residential service.

However, while I don't rely on incoming ports as much as I used to, I still like to have some flexibility.  Anyone know what ports are currently blocked on residential service?  I'm guessing port 25, which i can live with.  But are there any others currently blocked I should know about?

regards,

Paul

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

From what I am aware the ports on the modem should not be...

shaw-tony

@paul_fielding From what I am aware the ports on the modem should not be blocked. There are advanced settings available to open/close ports in the modem UI. Alternatively, you can bridge the modem and run your own router to fully control the ports.

0 Kudos

Hi Tony,  i do indeed have the modem bridged to my own ro...

paul_fielding
Grasshopper

Hi Tony,  i do indeed have the modem bridged to my own router.  That being said, I know that it used to be that port 25 was blocked past the modem.  If that’s no longer the case and there aren’t any ports blocked then that’s fabulous, I just wanted to try to be sure prior to closing my 12+ yo business account and replacing it with a residential one... 🙂

regards,

Paul

0 Kudos

since you are running a business and server hosting, it i...

shaw-tony

@paul_fielding since you are running a business and server hosting, it is recommended to be on a business connection as there will be limited support for those types of setups with residential services. I recommend touching base with our business support to make 100% sure you aren't losing out on anything with the switch.

0 Kudos

You can do some very simple port forwarding, dmz, or even...

graphius
Grasshopper

You can do some very simple port forwarding, dmz, or even bridtthw modem, however, recently shaw seems to have started blocking common ports like 80 and 443. No one at shaw seems to be aware, or acknowledge this change. I rebuilt my entire home network, as I initially thought it might be on my end, but a traceeoute shows port 80 is blocked at shaw servers

0 Kudos

--  which version of "traceroute" are you using, that all...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@graphius --  which version of "traceroute" are you using, that allows a target-port (80/TCP or 443/TCP) to be specified?

On Windows, I see:

Usage: tracert [-d] [-h maximum_hops] [-j host-list] [-w timeout] [-R] [-S srcaddr] [-4] [-6] target_name

Options:
-d Do not resolve addresses to hostnames.
-h maximum_hops Maximum number of hops to search for target.
-j host-list Loose source route along host-list (IPv4-only).
-w timeout Wait timeout milliseconds for each reply.
-R Trace round-trip path (IPv6-only).
-S srcaddr Source address to use (IPv6-only).
-4 Force using IPv4.
-6 Force using IPv6.

Nothing about specifying a "port".  Hmm.

0 Kudos

I don't use windows, either Mac or Linux (Ubuntu or Unrai...

graphius
Grasshopper

I don't use windows, either Mac or Linux (Ubuntu or Unraid) with the same results. the -p lets you specify a port. Not sure how tracert works.

0 Kudos

I believe these ports are blocked on the LAN but not from...

anandzing
Grasshopper

I believe these ports are blocked on the LAN but not from the outside world. I can't access my website from my PC that's connected to the same network but I can access it from my phone using mobile data.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help