I thought for sure that JR would have chosen you over his...

rstra
Grand Master

@arjay   I thought for sure that JR would have chosen you over his sons Jim and Brad.  😀😀😂

Laugh all you want. I think you don't know how Jim Shaw l...

arjay
Grasshopper

Laugh all you want. I think you don't know how Jim Shaw left the company.......

Like I said, I take no pleasure in it, but just wait until you see what happens to a company carrying $5 billion in debt when the economy tanks. And that is just around the corner and coming quick. 

You still don't get it. I talked about all of this long ago and have been watching it play out ever since over the years. The only reason it came back to my memory was because I had to deal with that modem, and the very issue that we had spoken about so long ago. 

It's sad, but all a person needs to know about the company today can be gleaned just by calling into them. But then, my point has always been about doing everything possible to make sure that a customer doesn't need to call into them......

Unsubscribed. 

0 Kudos

This is a support forum for technical questions and answe...

rickatk
Master

@arjay  This is a support forum for technical questions and answers, not a platform for people to express their dissatisfaction with Shaw as a corporation. Clearly the technical points of assistance relayed to you have been lost on your insistence on Shaw bashing. That is really not very helpful.

I suggest if your neighbor continues to have problems with her Shaw gear you should direct her to Shaw support and if a technician comes for another site visit, you should stay home. 

If these cheap junk modems are so easy to set up, why can...

Bluecurvebites
Grasshopper

If these cheap junk modems are so easy to set up, why can I never get it to connect to 2.4 band devices? When I went to the shaw support page it told me to GO IN TO THE WEB INTERFACE and change the band setting so I could connect my smart plug. Why should I even need to change the frequency settings? Shouldn’t the “smart” modem auto tune to the right one? My mother is with Telus, and has the same smart plug and there was no issue connecting it. Sounds like the problem is with shaw. 

0 Kudos

Shaw support is crap. I called to get a service changed,...

Bluecurvebites
Grasshopper

Shaw support is crap. I called to get a service changed, and they disconnected my account. I had to go into a live store and get the manager to restore my services. 

0 Kudos

Some older wifi devices have a problem connecting to rout...

rstra
Grand Master

@Bluecurvebites  Some older wifi devices have a problem connecting to routers that use band steering 

0 Kudos

-- Why should I even need to change the frequency setting...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Bluecurvebites -- Why should I even need to change the frequency settings? 

Split the modem's WiFi capability into one SSID for your 2.4 Ghz devices, and a different SSID for your 5 Ghz devices, if you need to accommodate your older devices.

Why bother with the complication of MAC-address-based authentication, if she has a "strong" password for her WiFi?

Do you know if your TELUS modem supports the 5 Ghz band? If they only support 2.4 Ghz, your newer devices and your older devices will connect to the 2.4 Ghz band.

P.S. I thought that you "unsubscribed" from this thread ?!

0 Kudos

I have not unsubscribed. Did you not see that I have a di...

Bluecurvebites
Grasshopper

I have not unsubscribed. Did you not see that I have a different username than the other person posting? My issue is that I should not need to do any manual band steering. And when trying to access the web interface, I couldn’t get in because “password” was not the password. Whenever I call the support desk, they screw something up not fix things. 

I took the smart plug to my mother’s and it worked fine there (on a Telus modem/router). So I gave it to her, as it is useless to me since shaw equipment can’t find it. 

p.s. pay attention to the username of who you are replying to. 

0 Kudos

Then get rid of the alleged “band steering” and allow us...

Bluecurvebites
Grasshopper

Then get rid of the alleged “band steering” and allow us to manually set what band we want to use. My my 2.4 device was brand new and couldn’t connect. Maybe rogers will make the merged company get better modems. The only way they could get worse is if they stop working. 

0 Kudos

You can turn off band steering. https://support.shaw.c...

rstra
Grand Master

@Bluecurvebites 

You can turn off band steering, or disable it, connect your devices and re-enable. 

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/how-to-connect-2-4-ghz-devices-without-disabling-band-s...

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help