Jump to solution

What's the Spam Plan Shaw?

nanuuk
Grasshopper

I know there is a different thread on this that has been changed to Question Resolved. That is incorrect. There is an ongoing problem that has been around for a few months now. Namely the inability of Shaw's spam filters to do its job.

In the 20 plus years as a Shaw customer I have never seen it this bad. Yes, I am logging onto Shaw web mail and flagging the spam e-mails.

By now I'd like to think Shaw has a plan to fix this issue.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Hi. Yes I am happy to report the same thing. It has been...

nanuuk
Grasshopper

Hi. Yes I am happy to report the same thing. It has been about 2 weeks now without spam. Thanks Shaw!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Jump to solution

Inbox Full of Spam Every Day

lmacri
Grasshopper

Same problem here, and it's getting progressively worse over time. I've been getting about a dozen of these spam messages every day for the past few days and none of them are being caught by Shaw's spam filters. Every time one of these spam / phishing emails arrives in my Inbox I log in to my Shaw webmail and mark them as SPAM, but they keep coming. Just for today (15-Mar-20f21) as of 4:00 PM:

Shaw Spam Emails 15 Mar 2021.png

If I right-click and choose "View Original" for these spam messages I can see that most have the word "offres" (not "offers") in the From field (e.g., From: "Norton Antivirus" <offres@lhjtfdar.com>; From: "Male.Enhan.cement" <offres@info.frconcour.com>; From: "BITC0IN Update" <offres@rdeegvav.com>, etc.). I also confirmed that creating my own filter to move any email where From contains "offres" to my Junk folder will stop the majority of this spam from landing in my Inbox.

Shaw Spam FIlter From Contains offres Move to Junk 15 Mar 2021.png

I'll continue marking these emails as SPAM for a few more days but if Shaw doesn't do something soon I'll just activate my own filter(s) and see how well that works.
-------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v2004 build 19041.804 * Firefox v86.0.1 * Windows Defender v4.18.2102.3 * MS Outlook 2019
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G 256 GB NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

Jump to solution

Looks like my list of spam, close to exactly the same. Mi...

whomever
Grasshopper

Looks like my list of spam, close to exactly the same. Mine originate from amazonaws.com using variety of their huge list of IP addresses. You might find those spam you list are coming from IPs owned by amazonaws. 
Firing them off to Shaw did nothing for me, so I sent them to Spam Cop. You can't block IP addresses in Zimbra's excuse for email (you thought it was Shaw?) At least, I could never find a way. Too, SpamCop has better SBL (Spam Block List) than Shaw's spam list. Reason being is that Shaw only handles Spam from Shaw customers. SpamCop handles any ISPs spam. Many anti-spam houses and professional ISPs use SpamCops BL aka SpamCop Block List. (SCBL). Apparently, not Shaw. SpamCop is run by CISCO. 

Since Shaw has not responded to the many requests asking if Shaw stopped subscribing to SBLs only suggests that no answer is Yes. If that's the case, expect more garbage. And the garbage you and I get is so easily seen as Spam which begs the question, *what happened to that "100%" working again!

My beef is, we shouldn't have to clean house after Shaw. Now that we must, I would suggest cleaning up using SpamCop because a IP address that sends spam gets blocked, not building a wall of filters via Zimbra's wmail system. It's also a much easier process at SpamCop than Shaw's system of reporting spam to File 13.

Just say'n s'all

~w~

*"@shaw-tony wrote:

Update Mar 4, 2021:

Our engineers have resolved this issue and our spam filters are working at 100%. Thank you for your patience." 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I disagree this has been resolved, in fact your Spam filt...

Greatgrandad
Grasshopper

I disagree this has been resolved, in fact your Spam filters are not working at 100%!!!

Latest Phising came through on the 13th of March, The Shaw notice of a problem with your billing please update your account routine.

Once again what are you doing to fix this more pemanently? My son-inlaw uses Telus and he reports nothing gets through, I repeat, no phising or spam for over two years!

Bill

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Spam filters

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@nanuuk -- what recently has been successful for me within Shaw WebMail is to add a filter, namely:

where the "X-Mailer" field in the headers contains the text Mindbaz, move the message into my Junk folder.

In the last 8 hours (overnight), it removed 8 messages from my Inbox folder.

All those messages originated from various IP-addresses on Amazon's ECS (Elastic Cloud Service).

Maybe, after Shaw buys Rogers, they can buy Amazon, and take action against those abusers of their ECS accounts.  🙂

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Shaw Spam Filters Only Catch 1 of 20 Spam Emails (March 14 - 16/2021)

lmacri
Grasshopper

@whomever wrote:

Looks like my list of spam, close to exactly the same...Since Shaw has not responded to the many requests asking if Shaw stopped subscribing to SBLs only suggests that no answer is Yes. If that's the case, expect more garbage. And the garbage you and I get is so easily seen as Spam which begs the question, *what happened to that "100%" working again! ...

~w~

*"@shaw-tony wrote:

Update Mar 4, 2021:

Our engineers have resolved this issue and our spam filters are working at 100%. Thank you for your patience." 

Hi @shaw-tony :

In less than three days (March 14/21 to noon March 16/21) I've received over 20 spam messages. The Shaw spam filters only managed to catch one single spam message - the rest were all delivered to my Inbox (I flagged these as SPAM to notify Shaw and move them to my Junk folder).

Shaw Spam Emails 1 of 20 Detected by Shaw Filters in Three Days 16 Mar 2021.png

Is anyone from Shaw looking into this?
-------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v2004 build 19041.804 * Firefox v86.0.1 * Windows Defender v4.18.2102.3 * MS Outlook 2019
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G 256 GB NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I don't want to jinx things, but I am happy to report 0 s...

nanuuk
Grasshopper

I don't want to jinx things, but I am happy to report 0 spam e-mails for the weekend of March 20-21.

Jump to solution

I am getting spam, but it is getting picked up by Shaw’s...

rstra
Grand Master

I am getting spam, but it is getting picked up by Shaw’s spam filters.

Jump to solution

-- within "Filters" within "Preferences" within Shaw WebM...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@nanuuk -- within "Filters" within "Preferences" within Shaw WebMail, I have added another rule:

When the X-Reply-To field contains the string 2022, move the message to the Junk folder.

This has worked for me.

I think that either the spammers don't work on weekends, or have gone "spring-breaking" in Florida, or Amazon AWS Elastic Cloud Services has banned them from abusing the Amazon servers.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Constant Spam Appears to Have Stopped Around 19-Mar-2021

lmacri
Grasshopper

Hi nanuuk:

I am also happy to report that I haven't seen any further spam messages since approx. 19-Mar-2021. I'm not even seeing messages being tagged as [Shaw Suspected Junk Email] and sent to my Junk folder, so Shaw must have figured out a way to block the senders' IP addresses before this spam even arrives.

Kudos to Shaw for fixing this.

TALK TO US
We're here to help