Whats With the Constant 12 Hour Outages?

RogersLies
Grasshopper

Second 12-14 hour outage this week. Looking to move to Telus or Starlink. Anyone else not happy losing Shaw? More internet issues than ever since Shaw is gone. Done with this nonsense.Fibre cuts every few days here…

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

To make matters worse, every single ticket p...

RogersLies
Grasshopper

To make matters worse, every single ticket put into the system on June 21 Friday Evening is still showing unresolved on June 22 07:15 Not a single update to any ongoing service outage in BC in over 12 hours. To me this looks like the crews were all sent home Friday evening and all outages abandoned.

This particular outage was due to a construction crew working near lines and was probably reported by the crew that damaged it. At this point I have zero reason to believe that anyone from Rogers has even worked on the line. Looking at Metro Vancouver it looks like they were left in the dark all night too.

I am from Harrison Mills and had 5 outages this week alone. Two fibre cuts resulting in 14 hours and now 14  more hours plus of downtime. By my estimate we will lucky to get the line fixed in the next 12 hours. That doesn’t prevent Rogers from coming out and killing my internet from the pole 3 more times while they replace so called faulty wires when it’s working just fine.

According to Rogers I'm still liable for full payment when I am not receiving the service I pay for and even when it does work it’s intermittent at best. On top of these outages a plethora of other shorter outages since Rogers took over and higher latency and packetloss. Coincidence I think not. I only ever made one call to Shaw and that was to replace some old wires in the cable box. Under Shaw we had zero issues.

0 Kudos

-- how can you blame Shaw/Rogers for "cable cuts", when i...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@RogersLies -- how can you blame Shaw/Rogers for "cable cuts", when it is some construction company that did it?  Or, some contractor who did not telephone BC One Call to "call before you dig" ?

higher latency and packet loss

If you are trying to drive from UBC Vancouver to Calgary, and there has been an avalanche in Rogers Pass that is delaying traffic, calling Vancouver City Hall to complain will be a waste of time/effort -- they cannot do anything.

Similarly, packet-loss can occur anywhere between you and a "game-server" located in Las Vegas, and you cannot blame Shaw/Rogers for Internet issues somewhere in the USA.  

Instead, show us some evidence, e.g., "trace-route" output, using the Windows command-line "tracert" utility, to show where there is excessive latency, and/or where packets are being lost.

Note that the Internet is using TCP/IP -- Transmission Control Protocol over Internet Protocol. The "transmission control" layer is designed to ensure that IP packets are retransmitted when necessary, and that the IP packets arrive in the same order as they were sent.  So, "packet-loss" should not be an issue.

0 Kudos

I am not blaming Rogers for cutting the fibre, I am sayin...

RogersLies
Grasshopper

I am not blaming Rogers for cutting the fibre, I am saying they are misleading customers into thinking work is being done on the line when in fact everyone went home to watch the hockey game and all outages were left unresolved. 

Packetloss can also occur when the nodes are overloaded or problematic due to said outages and or other issues pertaining to signal loss and degradation in some areas. So far my quality of service has gone down under Rogers and judging by the amount of Starlink phased arrays popping up everywhere here I would guess others are fed up too.

0 Kudos