Did you use the same SSID and password as the XB6? I real...

rstra
Grand Master

@rickatk Did you use the same SSID and password as the XB6?

I really want the XB7, but I will wait until the end of my two year plan. I am also hoping that Rogers will introduce their TV plans to the lineup, they are more flexible than Shaw.

0 Kudos

I used the same SSID and Password. I was allowed to conso...

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

@rickatk Did you use the same SSID and password as the XB6?

I really want the XB7, but I will wait until the end of my two year plan. I am also hoping that Rogers will introduce their TV plans to the lineup, they are more flexible than Shaw.

I used the same SSID and Password.

I was allowed to consolidate my various promotions which ended on different dates. Now I have a new agreement ending in two years. 

I look forward to the Rogers offerings in time, if in fact that merger occurs, but for now I have a plan which is lower in cost and higher in performance. That should do me for a while.

0 Kudos

Whenever I swapped routers and used the same SSID and pas...

rstra
Grand Master

@rickatk Whenever I swapped routers and used the same SSID and password, some devices had a hard time connecting.

0 Kudos

Thus far I haven’t come across that problem. I have chang...

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

@rickatk Whenever I swapped routers and used the same SSID and password, some devices had a hard time connecting.

Thus far I haven’t come across that problem. I have changed hardware a few times over the past few years, using the same SSID and password.

0 Kudos

FYI, I did not change my SSID when I added the XB7. A cou...

rolyat77
Grasshopper

@rstra 

@rickatk 

FYI, I did not change my SSID when I added the XB7. A couple of things took a day or so to come online, but otherwise no problems.

The one thing I don't understand is why we went to 10.0.0.1 from 192.168.1.1... anyone know why?

0 Kudos

Always used ASUS routers and wired Access Points (large h...

langley834721
Grasshopper

Always used ASUS routers and wired TP EAP Access Points (large house), that’s why my cable modems always been just that, a modem (bridged).
I know the Asus configuration well and works well for me, don’t want to change…

0 Kudos

-- The one thing I don't understand is why we went to 10....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rolyat77 -- The one thing I don't understand is why we went to 10.0.0.1 from 192.168.1.1... anyone know why?

A long time ago, the IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force) designated the "10.0.0.0/8" network and the "192.168.0.0./16" networks to be "non-routable" -- computers that want to be DIRECTLY accessible on the Internet must not use any IP-address in either of those 2 ranges. They reserved those ranges for "private" networks, such as within your home.

It would be quite a problem if every "private" network on the planet needed its own (small) range of "public" IP-addresses on the IPv4 network. There just are not enough IP-addresses within IPv4 to make it happen.

But, with IPv6, every square inch on the planet can have its own "public" IP-address.

Also, people who connect their own routers to the BlueCurve want it to work "out-of-the-box". If the BlueCurve used something in the "192.168" range, there would be problems with third-party routers that wanted to use the same range within "192.168".  So, by switching to "10", they pre-emptively avoided "collisions" with third-party routers.

Thanks, I had noticed that my Apple friends equipment sta...

rolyat77
Grasshopper

Thanks, I had noticed that my Apple friends equipment starts with the 10.0.0.1 so I always thought it was a windows vs IOS thing...

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help