@visiter555 -- First and foremost, if you have distance o...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@visiter555 -- First and foremost, if you have distance or coverage issue do not use a Wi-Fi connected extender. Just think that one over. 

First & foremost, it seems possible that "visiter555" is no longer a Shaw customer, and thus may not see this message.

Think about a baseball game. Does the center-fielder try to throw a ball all the way to the catcher at home plate? Probably not, because there is a "distance" issue. Instead, the CF throws to the SS or 2B infielder, who relays the ball to the C.

Similarly, you should put the range-extender "halfway" between the WiFi-enabled cable-modem and the room with the poor signal-strength. You'll get good (maybe not "excellent") signal-strength both going "into" and "out-from" the extender.

0 Kudos

i was not the one with the issue, my comments were a simp...

visiter555
Grasshopper

@mdk 

i was not the one with the issue, my comments were a simple recommended solution.

I just don’t come here very often.  I use business class (enterprise) solutions at home as a 40+ year IT person I know what works and what is a load of BS like Shaws extenders.  

0 Kudos

Why do you say the Shaw extenders are a bunch of BS?

rickatk
Master

@visiter555 Why do you say the Shaw extenders are a bunch of BS?

0 Kudos

Love to know how it worked? I have the same TP link so wo...

dianeanderson
Grasshopper

Love to know how it worked? I have the same TP link so would like to try. 
I have tried pretty much everything with Orbi (worked awesome with the Shaw Arris gateway in bridge mode) clearly does not work in any mode that I can figure out without messing up the TV’s. 
help!

0 Kudos

- I am guessing that when you had the Arris Gateway, you...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dianeanderson - I am guessing that when you had the Arris Gateway, you had TV boxes that connected via a coaxial-cable to the socket in a wall-plate. Those boxes communicated with the Gateway over the coaxial-cables inside the walls of your home. Correct?

Now that you have a BlueCurve, did you switch to different TV boxes, so that the new boxes are connected via WiFi to "hidden" WiFi networks being produced by the BlueCurve?

If you "unbridge" the BlueCurve, then it can communicate via WiFi to those boxes.

Additionally, one of the 2 Ethernet ports on the BlueCurve can connect to the "uplink" port on the TP-LINK router. The "LAN" ports on the TP-LINK will let you connect, via Ethernet cables, up to 4 computers. Also, the TP-LINK can be configured to provide its own WiFi network.  The disadvantage is that the two WiFi networks will mostly overlap, until you get far-enough away from the two networks such that only the "stronger" signal is available.  Neither of these overlapping WiFi "clouds" will reach the "far-corners" of a large house, which is a problem.

I don't know anything about the "ORBI", but my guess is that can substitute for the TP-LINK router, i.e., it has an "uplink" Ethernet port to connect to your BlueCurve, and it provides its own WiFi network.

0 Kudos

The extenders do not work well for me. If you use them th...

ss1969impala
Grasshopper

The extenders do not work well for me. If you use them they will be limited in speed as they do not support 5G. The floor with the wifi gateway has speeds up to 150 Mbps and the floors with the pods average 25- 30Mbps.

0 Kudos

--  the floors with the pods average 25- 30Mbps. Is one o...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ss1969impala --  the floors with the pods average 25- 30Mbps.

Is one of the pods "vertically" above the cable-modem, but one floor up?

Or, if you turn-off the pods, and move your WiFi-capable device to be one floor vertically-above the cable-modem, what speed do you measure? A pod at the same position will not be any faster than your device at that position.

0 Kudos

shaw has available a mesh network extender designed for B...

twylla
Grasshopper

shaw has available a mesh network extender designed for BlueCurve. (Wifi Pod)

0 Kudos

Do you get 5G off your extender ... some are only 2.5Gb

TAXMAN16
Grasshopper

Do you get 5G off your extender ... some are only 2.5Gb 

0 Kudos

I am a very long term client and have a D-Link AC1200 ran...

Jmackenz
Grasshopper

I am a very long term client and have a D-Link AC1200 range extender. My Shaw modem is a Cisco DRC3848V. The WPS button on the Shaw modem does not appear to work - does not appear to have any green light. I followed installation instructions. Any help is appreciated.

TALK TO US
We're here to help