Why are you advertising a much faster internet than I am getting now for a much lower price?

Zaxx
Grasshopper

Why are you advertising a much faster internet than I am getting now for a much lower price?

Labels (1)
4 Replies

Hi  , I would think it is promotional adverts for enticin...

g-idk
Master

Hi @Zaxx , I would think it is promotional adverts for enticing new customers to sign up for a 2 year value plan. Providers do this all the time, but current term customers do not qualify for these New Customer Specials.  Is this what you were asking about?  

is inquiring why he is not getting the advertised speeds...

rickatk
Master

@Zaxx is inquiring why he is not getting the advertised speeds on his local setup. There are many reasons for the disparity. Most common is WiFi capacity to handle gig + speed. Users get closer to advertised speeds when using a hard wire connection like ethernet. While the XB7 boasts WiFi 6 capabilities, the fact remains most devices or specifically their wifi cards and CPU’s can’t handle the faster speeds of gigabit and WiFi 6 protocols.

Shaw is now messaging capacity in their Gig + plans. Which is probably more accurate. The Gig + plans offer more bandwidth and capacity for ever growing home networks. Devices like wireless TV players, smart plugs and switches, solar systems, gaming computers etc all need bandwidth. The Gig +  plans offer that.

My experience with Gig + plans is my totally wireless system nets around 500mbps down on my iPad Pro 10.5 and 700mbps down on my iPhone SE2.  Upload is consistently 100Mbps. However all my devices including four wireless tv players, network speakers, printer, wife’s laptop and phone as well has a bunch of other smart home devices, run very very smoothly. 

-- with a Windows desktop computer with a quad-core 3.2 G...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Zaxx -- with a Windows desktop computer with a quad-core 3.2 Ghz CPU, connected via a CAT-5e cable to my Hitron cable-modem, the results from the Shaw Speed Test slightly exceeds the 300/15 Mbps speeds specified in my current Shaw contract. With a much-slower dual-core laptop, connecting via WiFi, the speed-test reports a much-slower download speed, but still with 15 Mbps for upload.

So, how are you measuring your speed? Do you have a "fast" computer? Ethernet connection or WiFi? Avoid "CAT-5" Ethernet cables, that are limited to 100 Mbps.

0 Kudos

Just for conversation… I had an iMac Core i7 16gb ram wit...

rickatk
Master

Just for conversation…

I had an iMac Core i7 16gb ram with SSD drives. When connected to Shaw modem on a 600 Mbps plan I got 630 Mbps down over wifi consistently. I then got a Blue Curve gen 1 modem and my down load speed barely reached 600Mbps on a gig plan. I made a few support inquiries, testing and tier two support I was advised I could only expect around 600Mbps but could run my devices better. I was advised upgrading to wifi 6 would improve things but I need wifi 6 devices. I now have a Blue Curve (gen 2) modem that supports wifi 6. I can report 500 Mbps down on my aging iPad Pro and 700 Gbps on my iPhone se (gen 2) neither are rated for wifi 6.

So faster speeds are possible over wifi. The big improvement is smooth running internet and smart devices.

TALK TO US
We're here to help