>>> I am using iPad with newest IOS. Unless you disable a...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

>>> I am using iPad with newest IOS.

Unless you disable a "privacy" feature within the latest IOS, each time that you connect to WiFi, IOS generates a unique MAC-address for the connection. So, if you were to add a MAC-address to your account, it would work only for the duration of the current WiFi connection. If you move to a different ShawOpen Access Point, IOS might present a different MAC-address.

0 Kudos

That appears to be one of the main reasons behind the cha...

OldMacGuy
Grasshopper

That appears to be one of the main reasons behind the change. Obviously iOS devices should be accommodated, which is done by issuing a WiFi configuration profile. Unfortunately as others have described the process is convoluted, not user-friendly, and means either having to share credentials for the account or create new Shaw IDs for family members.

None of this should have required eliminating the ability to directly authorize devices by MAC address, which was far simpler to administer, and would work for many older or less capable devices.

a year later and I am still having trouble adding new dev...

mmzz12
Grasshopper

a year later and I am still having trouble adding new devices with the new "connect device" method...called customer service and visited a Shaw store, repeated the issue multiple times, tried deleting and adding new devices for like 30 times, still just not working... so pissed off.

What about using a Windows/LINUX/Mac/Android device that...

bobertc
Grasshopper

What about using a Windows/LINUX/Mac/Android device that allows you to change/spoof its MAC address? I haven't done that in 15 years, but some devices will do this.

Change to the desired MAC address, go to a hotspot and log in. Remove the MAC address from the device (as it's not a good thing to have two devices with the same MAC address long-term.). Then approach the hotspot with your device.

I've seen this abused with reddit posts, etc., about people asking or selling this service. Which definitely violates the TOS.

0 Kudos

Yes this is very frustrating and i sure hope they add thi...

Axealicia
Grasshopper

Yes this is very frustrating and i sure hope they add this ability again as it makes it much easier to control and edit the devices that are connected. 

0 Kudos

wrote:  i sure hope they add this ability again Given tha...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Axealicia wrote:  i sure hope they add this ability again

Given that Rogers is slowly taking-over the Shaw systems & infrastructure, I doubt that Shaw has made any software changes since April 3, 2023, and doubt that they will be adding the feature that you are requesting. The "ball" is now in Rogers' court.

0 Kudos

A lot of people (including me) are having this problem. T...

RonRosell
Grasshopper

A lot of people (including me) are having this problem. The issue arises because the “log in with your Shaw ID” web page won’t appear on some systems … like my Tesla (even though it has a browser, the wifi settings won’t automatically launch the browser).

Historically entering a MAC address at Shaw.ca was the workaround, but no longer. This measure doesn’t add to security … the only way to add a MAC address was to be securely logged in. If the login credentials are compromised and 2FA isn’t enabled, disabling the ability to add MAC addresses won’t keep folks from registering unauthorized devices. 

I had my car’s MAC address registered for years and that worked fine. Now Shaw/Rogers has removed it. 

All this does is inconvenience customers.

wrote: A lot of people (including me) are having this pro...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@RonRosell wrote: A lot of people (including me) are having this problem.

Please define "a lot". 10? 1,000?  100,000 ?  🙂

> the only way to add a MAC address was to be securely logged in.

An earlier post in this thread suggested using a 3rd-party router where you can configure it to use a MAC-address that matches the MAC-address of your Tesla.  Register the device, and then reset your router to its original MAC-address, and try to connect your Tesla.

0 Kudos

"A lot" means at least dozens, if you only go by the peop...

RonRosell
Grasshopper

@mdk "A lot" means at least dozens, if you only go by the people who stumbled across this thread and clicked "me too" ... undoubtedly a small subset of the affected population.

Then, let's look at Tesla drivers ... there are tens of thousands of us in the Lower Mainland, all of whom now have this problem accessing Shaw's (Rogers) network since they wiped out the previously-registered MAC addresses.  (A Go-Wifi hotspot used to be a great place to download vehicle software updates, if you didn't live in Langley and have a house with an attached garage and access to WiFi on your residential account. I currently tether to my Telus cellphone for those updates. The car does have mobile internet access, used for real-time traffic data, entertainment, etc. but that is not used for the large software updates; Tesla requires a WiFi connection for those.)  

Add anyone else with a mobile device that won't automatically launch a browser to log into a network; the Internet of Things is not just cellphones and laptops.  Does that number satisfy you that it's not merely one or two malcontents?

Changing the MAC address on another device to match the car (or whatever device can't log in) and trick the system into registering it might work, although doing it with a "3rd party router" is not a good approach because almost invariably those have to be plugged in to a power source ... again, we're talking about accessing Shaw/Rogers Go-Wifi at places like the Mobi parking stalls, not accessing the Internet in your living room.  I might try that hack with a laptop, but it raises the question: if a time-consuming hack that requires some technical know-how can be used to register a MAC address to someone's Shaw account, why not simply let the customer type one in, the way they used to?  If "security" is the reason and they're worried about a MAC address being added to a previously-compromised Shaw login, I can assure you ... hackers have laptops and love circumventing challenges like these. This change adds frustration for customers, not protection for them or for the network. Moreover, with a ten-address limit per account, it's not much of a hacker target to begin with.

I remember when Shaw first did this I was so pissed cause...

Soni8
Grasshopper

I remember when Shaw first did this I was so pissed cause not only have they made it impossible to add new tech (smartwatches, cars, etc) but they also took away the ability to add devices of children and seniors who cannot do it themselves. So before you would just add the MAC address of any device and everybody was set. You could also be add devices so you could be prepared ahead of a meeting with Wi-Fi. 

Whoever made this decision didn't think about other people and is unfamiliar with new technology. 

TALK TO US
We're here to help