Why is ping when gaming horrible now

Bradenjohns11
Grasshopper

Gaming on Shaw is a joke, 1gig package, wired connection, new router custom settings to maximize gaming.

Yet still my ping is twice as high as it used to be and my friends that live in high river with Telus internet still have good 30ms ping where as mine is 60 plus all the time now, what gives is this a Shaw thing!? 

Labels (1)
4 Replies

-- your friends are in High River, but where do you live?...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Bradenjohns11 -- your friends are in High River, but where do you live?

Capture.JPG

Shaw must have a fiber-optic cable from H.R. to Calgary.

Where is the game-server? 

Is the game-server accessed through Shaw's network (H.R. -> Calgary -> Vancouver -> Seattle -> California) ?

Given the effects of the current "Atmospheric River" affecting B.C., it's possible that there is "lag" between Calgary & Vancouver.

Your friend on TELUS may be fortunate that the TELUS network from H.R. to Vancouver is not [currently] affected by the severe BC weather conditions.

There is another current thread on this discussion board about "lag" in Okotoks -- not far from H.R., and probably routing through the same fiber-optic cables.

0 Kudos

I'm deep south Calgary, not sure on the locations sent th...

Bradenjohns11
Grasshopper

I'm deep south Calgary, not sure on the locations sent through that's past my level of knowledge, it's on my list to ask the Shaw rep coming out tmrw though, Any suggestions to ask him are welcome. 

Highly doubt it's bc weather to blame this has been happening periodically for months but just gotten steadily bad the past few days and I have read alot of posts people saying the same thing and that once they switched from Shaw they saw it was a Shaw problem, most switched to Telus who I hate but may have to do it. 

0 Kudos

Did they fix the problems you are having yesterday?  Is i...

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

Did they fix the problems you are having yesterday?  Is it sporiacilly spotty still?

0 Kudos

-- I have read alot of posts people saying the same thing...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Bradenjohns11 -- I have read alot of posts people saying the same thing

Are all those people in the same geographic area? If they are, and they all are Shaw customers, it makes sense that they are likely to have the same issue.

>  once they switched from Shaw they saw it was a Shaw problem, most switched to Telus 

Satan must own shares in TELUS, and is meddling with Shaw's fibre-optic network.  🙂

If it really is a problem due to the "atmospheric rivers" (one more coming tomorrow) devastating British Columbia, everybody in BC is affected -- Cana Post, DHL, FEDEX, egg-farms losing 100 thousnad chickens, gasoline not flowing through pipelines from Alberta to BC. Last week, many gas-stations in the Greater Vancouver area ran out of gasoline, due to panic-buying.

The Vice-Premier of B.C. has stated that it could be "months" to restore the damaged infrastructure. That is not only a "Shaw Problem".

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help