Jump to solution

WiFi Analyzer Odd Report

kenohrn
Grasshopper

Hi:

First off, a disclaimer.  This is not about network speed tests.  This is not about an Ookla result or a Shaw Speed Test result.

When using wifi analyzers, they report a data element called "Maximum Speed".  For the BlueCurve modem's wifi channels, the results are odd

Max Speed: 2.4 gHz channel:    144.4 mbps

Max Speed:  5 gHz channel       1733.4 mbps:   

Since I use pods, most wifi settings are greyed out and cannot be changed in the Gateway software. The 2.4 gHz channel is 802.11 g/n.  Interestingly, two of the pods are shown as "Maximum Speed" 300 mbps. 

144.4 mbps seems low for 802.11 g/n, which should come closer to "n" speeds of ~300 mbps.  

Is this a fault in the wifi analyzer, or some config quirk of the BlueCurve modem?

Connection > Wi-Fi > Edit 2.4 GHz

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

it will depend on the Mhz you are running for the 2.4 Ghz...

shaw-tony

@kenohrn it will depend on the Mhz you are running for the 2.4 Ghz network. On 20 Mhz, the theoretical maximum on 2.4 Ghz g/n should be around 150 Mbps. This will apply along with the pods as well (connects to the best connection which is usually 2.4 Ghz) to provide the mesh network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hi shaw-tony:   Many thanks.  Since most wifi config item...

kenohrn
Grasshopper

Hi shaw-tony:

Many thanks.  Since most wifi config items are greyed out when pods are in use, I guess my best bet is to relax. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Jump to solution

it will depend on the Mhz you are running for the 2.4 Ghz...

shaw-tony

@kenohrn it will depend on the Mhz you are running for the 2.4 Ghz network. On 20 Mhz, the theoretical maximum on 2.4 Ghz g/n should be around 150 Mbps. This will apply along with the pods as well (connects to the best connection which is usually 2.4 Ghz) to provide the mesh network.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hi shaw-tony:   Many thanks.  Since most wifi config item...

kenohrn
Grasshopper

Hi shaw-tony:

Many thanks.  Since most wifi config items are greyed out when pods are in use, I guess my best bet is to relax. 

TALK TO US
We're here to help