WiFi extension to garage

Krag1
Grasshopper

What would be the best way to extend WiFi signal from house to detached garage on a large property and about 100 meters away?

Ideally with out drilling holes though walls for cables.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Without running a cable to the garage, you may need to ge...

rstra
Grand Master

Without running a cable to the garage, you may need to get some industrial grade wifi to make it 100 meters away.

0 Kudos

-- do you have electrical power to the garage, and do you...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Krag1 -- do you have electrical power to the garage, and do you have the Shaw BlueCurve WiFi modem? If so, can you supply power at 33 meters and 66 meters and 99 meters away from the garage, so that you can connect some Shaw BlueCurve pods at those locations, as "repeaters" ? Hopefully, the pod at "99" will get good signal-strength from your BlueCurve.

It might work with pods at 30 and 70 meters away from the garage. The "30" might provide a good signal into the garage, and the "70" might receive a good signal from the BlueCurve.

Probably, solar power, with a battery for power between sunset and your bedtime, will work, instead of "wired" electrical power. Not cheap, but you'll have to judge whether it is worth the cost.

0 Kudos

Unless there is a lead fire break dividing the garage fro...

rickatk
Master

Unless there is a lead fire break dividing the garage from the rest of the house, placing the Gateway out in the open and free of clutter should see a signal get to the garage. Adding a pod in the room adjacent to the garage with a good shot at the gateway should also do the trick. I have one pod in my media room and one in a bonus room above the garage equally spaced from the Gateway in the main room of the house. Signal is good. Even before adding pods, signal was pretty good using dual band and beam forming. 

I think @Krag1 should get back to basics on his setup:

Good Gateway positioning

Dual Band operation

Use pods if necessary

Stick with Shaw gear

Practice good wifi hygiene.

-- Unless there is a lead fire break dividing the garage...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rickatk -- Unless there is a lead fire break dividing the garage from the rest of the house ...

I think that @Krag1 has 100 meters between the garage and his house. That should just as good as a Pb liner.  🙂

ahhh I see I missed that.

rickatk
Master

@mdk ahhh  I see I missed that.

This might work:

pods faq...

Can Pods be placed outdoors?

No. Pods are not meant for outdoor use and should not be placed outside of your home. To extend WiFi coverage to an outdoor location, place one of your Pods in an inside wall outlet that is closest to the outdoor area where you would like to extend WiFi coverage.

0 Kudos

> Pods are not meant for outdoor use and should not be pl...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Pods are not meant for outdoor use and should not be placed outside of your home.

If one is dedicated-enough to walk 100 meters to one's garage, one probably has the skills to construct a miniature "gazebo" type of structure to protect the pod from the environment (snow, rain, wind, temperature extremes, out-of-control snow-mobiles) while still being "open" enough to allow the WiFi signals to be received/transmitted. Maybe, add a 60-watt incandescent light-bulb, for heat, and add a bird-feeder, with one of those post-dog-surgery cone-shaped collars, to keep squirrels & other animals away from the feeding birds. Keep the feeder well-stocked over the coming winter.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help