Thank you for the suggestion  .  switching to manual 160M...

Raghavlane
Grasshopper

Thank you for the suggestion @gordon1111 . 
switching to manual 160MHz looks to be helping for now . Hopefully it stays the same just like how it worked for all. 

0 Kudos

-- with my high-end Surface Pro laptop, the maximum sped...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@winterpeg -- with my high-end Surface Pro laptop, the maximum sped [sic] that I get with WIFI is 144MBPS on the 5G network

Not all WiFi network adapters (inside your laptop) are the same.

Some of them support the "A" protocol, and its maximum speed.

Some of them support the "B" protocol, and its maximum speed: about 11 Mbps.

Some of them support the "G" protocol, and its maximum speed: about 56 or 112 Mbps.

Some of them support the "N" protocol, and its maximum speed: about 150 or 300 Mbps.

Some of them support the "AC" protocol, and its maximum speed: about 600 Mbps.

Some of them support the "AX" protocol, and its maximum speed: over 1200 Mbps.

So, which protocol(s) does your WiFi network adapter support, and which protocol is it using when you are measuring the speed?

Free software such as SPECCY will show specific details about the capabilities of your adapter.

0 Kudos

Hello everyone:, I have away for a while and I am noticin...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

Hello everyone:, I have away for a while and I am noticing when I remotely access a number of devices at home, through apps to the XB7, that certain devices are continually loosing their connection. These are all TP-Link switches and plugs, running on the 2.4GHZ network. I have 20 devices setup, about 16 are on the 2.4GHZ and the remaining 4 are on the 5GHZ. This has been happening for a couple of months since I re=connected all of my security cameras before leaving for the winter. The cameras all work great, including a doorbells cam, door lock, 2 thermostats, my security system. From what I have been able to determine, is that the 2.4GHZ network seems not be strong enough for all of the devices. I have manually changed the channel and width but no success. Auto gives me 20 MHz width and 1,6 or11 channels.

Me thinks that I need the XB8 because of the number of devices as well as the size of the house. 

Your comments are appreciated.

0 Kudos

You don’t mention the models of cameras, security system,...

rstra
Grand Master

@winterpeg   You don’t mention the models of cameras, security system, thermostats etc., but you usually connect to those devices remotely through the manufacturer servers. My Nest thermostat, Ring alarm and Blink cameras are hosted remotely, and they have hubs that are either wired or are right next to the XB7.

As far as the plugs and switches are concerned, I have TPlink devices and these are remotely connected through my home internet. They wouldn’t use much data to control, I found no difference when my speed changed from 15 to 100mbps up. I don’t think an upgrade to an XB8 would help, but I do think that the devices might be losing connection because of range issues. I have a mesh range extender connected to an XB7 for this very reason. I would try renting a pod from Shaw to extend your range, if it works, great, you can keep it or maybe buy your own. You could also get Shaw to troubleshoot your connection, just make sure something else isn’t going on. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the quick reply. None of the cameras have hubs...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

Thanks for the quick reply. None of the cameras have hubs. Actually the only device that has an "extender" is my August door lock. Not sure about the range issues. I have one TP-Link plug about 20 feet from the XB7 and it seems to loose the connection all the time. One of the cameras is in my garage(Honeywell C1), and it would be at least 70 feet away, through walls, from the XB7 and it works. I have had the TP-Link support group look into it as well. I ran a check on all connections through the Shaw Blue Curve app and it shows all TP-Link devices connected with strong service. Everything else works except the TP-Link devices which worked with no problems UNTIL I got Shaw's new Gateway products. I had the XB6 and now the XB7. Since then I have had problems with the TP-Link devices. I am away from the house until April, so not sure if Shaw can run some diagnostics without being in the house. Thanks for the advice.

0 Kudos

Shaw could check signal and see if the modem is offline,...

rstra
Grand Master

@winterpeg  Shaw could check signal and see if the modem is offline, but for everything else, they would need someone home. 

0 Kudos

The "quirky" thing about this is that after 10PM CST, man...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

The "quirky" thing about this is that after 10PM CST, many of the devices show up on my Alexa app and I can then control them remotely. This kind of tells me that the signal maybe stronger in the "off" hours somewhere or the "link" from the Shaw server to TP-Link is more steady in the off hours. Anyway, I will contact Shaw next week and let them check their end during the day and then after 10PM.

0 Kudos

-- not sure if Shaw can run some diagnostics without bein...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@winterpeg -- not sure if Shaw can run some diagnostics without being in the house. 

A Shaw Agent can certainly remotely logon to your cable-modem, to view the modem's internal statistics, e.g., "signal strength".

TALK TO US
We're here to help