Okay, contacted customer support and they said they would...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

Okay, contacted customer support and they said they would give me a partial credit for my Internet woes and a full credit when this "speed" issue is resolved. Then customer service sent me again to Tech support and they did their usual follow the "scripts" tech support and came up with nothing as I expected. I asked them to check to see if the TEch person who made the in-home visit yesterday had filed the paperwork to have some one come and look at the green box and run me a new line to the house. Guess what: she had NO record of that happenings!

So, another in-home Tech person coming out on Sunday, to check out what the last Tech person did yesterday, on Thursday. This is like the whos on first joke.

I told the Tech person on the phone that the previous Tech person said that after replacing the modem and replacing the booster, that was all they could do inside the house.

Please ROGERS, buy Shaw and fix this company.

0 Kudos

Look what I found! Is this for real? Why am I paying for...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

Look what I found! Is this for real? Why am I paying for Gig speed when it is impossible to get it? THis is scary **bleep** from Shaw.

2021-04-11 01:03 AM

I am a Fibre+ Gig customer.

Had a support chat this evening after a long time of slower than expected bandwidth over WiFi. I spent 2 hours online with chat support and got no where so thought the forum may get something changed with Shaw's cloud managed router solution they are forcing on everyone. The support tech called it "Mesh Agent". And no, I do not use the "Pods". 

I had previously enabled 160mhz Wi-Fi bandwidth on the bluecurve modem which allowed me to reach 1.2Gbps over wireless. Shaw rolled out an "update" that now disables the 160mhz option and I can no longer adjust settings on the BlueCurve gateway itself. I have to use the app or web interface which allows me to adjust the SSID name and that's it.

As a result the wireless bandwidth available on the bluecurve modem is 80mhz, which has a maximum network throughput of 433Mbps. 160mhz, which I used to be able to use, has a maximum throughput of 1733mbps. But now it's greyed out on the bluecurve modem settings page with a friendly notice saying that Shaw manages it for my own good.

In short, I pay for a 1Gbps plan. I was able to get 1.2Gbps over Wi-Fi using the BlueCurve modem. Happy customer. Then Shaw blocked me from adjusting settings on the modem itself and reset the Wi-Fi bandwidth to 80mhz (433Mbps). Because they know best.

The solution is to pay out of pocket for a WiFi router that supports 160mhz throughput and set the BlueCurve into bridge mode.

Just a heads up to any Fibre+ Gig customers. You will never be able to get 1Gbps over Wi-Fi since Shaw rolled out the "Mesh Agent" to their modems.

0 Kudos

The reason why I don’t bother paying more for the gig pla...

rstra
Grand Master

@winterpeg 

The reason why I don’t bother paying more for the gig plans, I don’t need it, as long as I can do 4K streams and get unlimited download, I am good. My 300mb plan will perform just as well as the 500+ plans in the real world. I guess, if I had about 15 people streaming at once, there might be some issues. 

Not sure why they are sending another service tech, there is nothing they can do. 

the one thing to check is in the wifi settings check and...

gordon1111
Grasshopper

the one thing to check is in the wifi settings check and see what the width of the channel is. if its 20mhz that would be the problem. I was having that issue and the only way I could fix it was by buying a new router. I tried to go back to the XB6 but the Shaw system would not let me. for some reason it works great for a bit then any reset and it goes back down to 20mhz. if that is what is happening let Shaw know. I reported this issue to Shaw but I don't think anyone at Shaw cared at all. 

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-discussions/xb7-wifi-issues-on-1gbps-connection/td-p/49281

here is my post if you want to read and see if same issue

0 Kudos

That's exactly what is happening to me. I can figure out...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

That's exactly what is happening to me. I can figure out how to change the settings as I do NOT know what the Login id is and password for the new XB7. Normally it is admin and then the password on the modem. I have changed the passwords for my networks, so I do NOT know what to use. Supposedly, we can request to have the 5G width changed to 80 or 160. I would be satisficed with 80, to give me at least 400MBPS speed on WiFi. Let me now if you can help me.

0 Kudos

Username is admin password is password.

gordon1111
Grasshopper

Username is admin

password is password. 

That is using 10.0.0.1 then you can change it through that menu. Just check as I am sure it is defaulting to 20mhz. I literally spent 20 hours one weekend trying to figure it out and got absolutely no where. I am just relieved I am not alone in this. Shaw support got me absolutely no where but press Shaw on this. They have to let the manufacturer know firmware is broken 

It is default to 20/40/80 on 5G and 20 on 2.4. I have rea...

rstra
Grand Master

@gordon1111 

It is default to 20/40/80 on 5G and 20 on 2.4. I have read that Xfinity and Rogers have this setting locked as well, probably because wider channels are more susceptible to interference. Not sure if it is different on XB7 Wifi 6 router.

0 Kudos

Yes it defaults to 20/40/80 on 5G but it constantly was s...

gordon1111
Grasshopper

@rstra Yes it defaults to 20/40/80 on 5G but it constantly was stuck at the 20mhz for 5G which only brings internet speeds up to 200mbps on Wi-FI my old XB6 had no issues at all. The only reason I made the decision to go with the XB7 was so that I can use faster download speeds as most of my devices are WIFI 6 compatible and they gave me that option. However, I could not go back to the XB6. what fixed it was I went to Costco and I saw a great router from D-link for $119.00. I feel that @winterpeg is having same issues I did. I just wish Shaw would officially look into this issue once and for all and mention to Comcast that these issues are happening. I should not have to buy my own router to fix these issues but I want my technology working better, If I am paying for 1gbps I want at least more than half which I feel is reasonable. I did ask for a supervisor to look into this but I don't know if they ever did anything about it. the only reason I am still on Shaw is Bell does not have FTTH in my building otherwise I would have switched to another provider long ago but Shaw is the fastest in my building. I am sure that lots of people are having the same issue with the XB7 but they don't test speeds or they are good enough having speeds on 200mbps. I do not have any devices I could hardwire so I am 100 percent wireless household. 

What is really annoying when speaking to the phone/online...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

What is really annoying when speaking to the phone/online Tech support is that are only following "scripts" and are limited by those scripts as to what they can do and more importantly say. Yesterday, spent another 2 hours on the phone and the 2 different Tech people said the same things at the end, my 144MBPS 5G speed was performing to specifications! I told her that I was paying for Gig speed and she had no answer than to say that it was performing to specification. And, she set u8p for another TEch person to come out tomorrow on Sunday to have a look again!

Shaw, when did their massive layoff down sizing a couple of years ago, lost the majority of their real Tech people and then decided to outsource it to some where in the Central America, one of the Techs was living in Belisle. This was all to show more profitability for Rogers to buy them out.

Okay, concerning resetting the XB7, I played around with it yesterday and was able to change the setting to automatic 20/40/80/160 and got a little more WIFI speed on the 5G. Is this good enough, maybe BUT I think what the nut of this scenario is, why pay for Gig speed Internet when Shaw will limit your speeds or what I call "Throttle" what you receive.

I could cancel the Tech visit tomorrow BUT he gets paid for Overtime, so better for him and not so good for Shaw. I will get him to check the green box ONLY, as there is nothing wrong with inside the house.

Stay Safe everyone and let's hope that Rogers can clean up the mess that Shaw has created.

If the channel bandwidth is the issue, Rogers also has it...

rstra
Grand Master

@winterpeg 

If the channel bandwidth is the issue, Rogers also has it locked, they use the same equipment.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help