Jump to solution

don't know if the XB7 has any LAN port that is over 1.0 G...

Pbali
Grasshopper

@mdk 

don't know if the XB7 has any LAN port that is over 1.0 Gbits/second.

I don't know which routers have a WAN port that is over 1.0 Gbits/second.

Any "CAT 5e" cable between the XB7 and your router will max-out at 1.0 Gbits/second -- you will need a "CAT 6" cable to go any faster.

So, you may have "bottle-necks".  Do your research.  🙂

The XB7 has 3 x 1GB port and 1 x 2.5GB

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- did you mean "gigabytes" (GB) or "gigabits" (Gb) for t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Pbali -- did you mean "gigabytes" (GB) or "gigabits" (Gb) for the speed of the XB7's Ethernet ports?

>>  I don't know which routers have a WAN port that is over 1.0 Gbits/second.

> The XB7 has 3 x 1 GB port and 1 x 2.5 GB.

Maybe, in a few years, we will all have "next-generation" cable-modems that can deliver 10 Gbit/second. Early testing in laboratories has produced numbers in the 4 Gbit/second range.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Based on the replies here and reading some other threads...

Pbali
Grasshopper

@FKing @mdk 

Based on the replies here and reading some other threads I went ahead with the scenario I described above. 

My XB7 is in bride mode. 2 x Deco X60 Mesh is doing the routing and Wifi

From the XB7 have a Cat6 cable to The Deco X60 ( Router Mode ) in Basement. 

From the Main X60 I have a Cat6 cable to my switch.

The switch is supplying various wired connections throughout the house, one of which is the other Deco X60 ( AP Mode ) on the top floor. 

One of my 4K Tv Players ( Xi6 ) is connected via Cat6 and the other is connected via Wifi . Both work perfect. 

The Wifi from 2 Deco X60's are providing a perfect mesh system based on their locations( Basement West Corner, Top Floor East Corner). I am getting between 100% to 75% max speeds on my phone from every corner of my home. From my garage and deck I am getting 75% speed. 

Now my only concern is making use of the Fiber+ 1.5g. I have read some articles here that I can get a second IP Address to make use of another port on the XB7? This way I can have "2 Networks". If I am not able to make use of the extra DL speeds I have I will simply reduce my plan to Fiber+ 1.0g. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- "bride" mode Cute!  :-) > I have read some articles he...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Pbali -- "bride" mode

Cute!  🙂

> I have read some articles here that I can get a second IP Address to make use of another port on the XB7? This way I can have "2 Networks".

That is correct. Just ask Shaw for them to allocate a second "public" IP-address. There is a fee only when you add a 3rd or 4th IP-address.

> If I am not able to make use of the extra DL speeds I have I will simply reduce my plan to Fiber+ 1.0g. 

The presumption here is that your computer/devices will connect to servers on the Internet that can, together, "fill that pipe" from Shaw's network into your cable-modem.  At this time, I think that there are not many servers on the Internet that can provide anything more than 100 Mbit/second to you (while also simultaneously providing more than 100 Mbit/second speed to other users simultaneously connected to the same server). Of course, Your Mileage May Vary, depending on what the people inside your home are doing, while "working-from-home", and maybe doing huge file-transfers between their computer and their office's file-server. 

But, with Shaw, your "upload" speed is capped at 100 Mbits/second -- is that fast-enough?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I guess I will find out more when I call in but wondering...

Pbali
Grasshopper

@mdk 

I guess I will find out more when I call in but wondering with the second IP Address do my speeds get split between the 2 ports so 750/50 on each ( my plan 1500down/100up ) or am I able to allocate certain speed for each. 

Also the "bride mode" was a typo. Meant to type bridge mode lol.    

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- do my speeds get split between the 2 ports so 750/50 o...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Pbali -- do my speeds get split between the 2 ports so 750/50 on each ( my plan 1500down/100up ) or am I able to allocate certain speed for each

There is no "splitting" nor "allocating" -- your two computers compete with each other, at every moment, as needed.

Compare to having just one bowl full of potato-chips, and two people pulling chips out of the bowl. First come, first served. When one person's mouth gets full, the other person will pull more chips out of the bowl, for a short time.

Jump to solution

There is no "splitting" nor "allocating" -- your two comp...

Pbali
Grasshopper

@mdk 

There is no "splitting" nor "allocating" -- your two computers compete with each other, at every moment, as needed.

Compare to having just one bowl full of potato-chips, and two people pulling chips out of the bowl. First come, first served. When one person's mouth gets full, the other person will pull more chips out of the bowl, for a short time.

Ok I get it. So they will both share the total in a smart way. As one uses more less will be available to the other. This is perfect. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I believe the sharing of the signal is where the Gig plan...

rickatk
Master

I believe the sharing of the signal is where the Gig plans excel. Lots of bandwidth and throughput for multiple clients.

That has been my experience with multiple wireless clients and users in the house.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

BTW i recommend u use cat 8 cables cuts latency in half g...

mike7314
Grasshopper

BTW i recommend u use cat 8 cables cuts latency in half google is your friend.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hey bud. Did you pull the trigger and run pick up an ax s...

Tys
Grasshopper

Hey bud. Did you pull the trigger and run pick up an ax system ? I’m wondering on how your speeds are if you did.  I am running a linksys ax system with 3 nodes on a Shaw 1 gig plan and the max wifi dl speed I got was 860. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help