Jump to solution

Will new router make my internet faster?

chai24
Grasshopper

Hey everyone,

I recently changed my internet to Internet 150 and I got the new modem installed and everything, however I was wondering if getting a new router would make my internet faster?

When I first got the internet upgrade, I connected my PC directly to my new modem and tested out the speed connection and it was as good as the speed that Internet 150 says it's supposed to be, however, I switched my PC Ethernet cable back to my router like it was before and tested out the speed again and the result it gave me was a huge difference: Around - 8.48 DOWNLOAD Mbps and 6.03 UPLOAD Mbps.

Tested the speed connection multiple times with multiple websites. Around the same results.

A lot slower than what internet 150 is supposed to be - compared to when I had my PC directly connected to the modem. My router is also really old, that's why I'm thinking about upgrading as well.

Router: D-Link DI-524 Wireless 

The router I'm planning on getting is: ASUS RT-AC66U B1

Also, I did bridge the connection with my modem and router together afterwards.

Let me know if a new router would give me the internet speed that Internet 150 is supposed to - just like when I was directly connected to the modem.

Thanks,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Re: Will new router make my internet faster?

Not applicable

Your router only supports 10/100 using Ethernet connections. That's why it is significantly slower than connection your computer directly to the Shaw cable modem, because that one has 10/100/1000 Ethernet port(s).

Something to consider that would be cheaper than purchasing an Asus router is purchasing a good 10/100/1000 switch and using the Shaw Cable modem for wireless connectivity only. It will give you more options, especially if you purchase a managed 10/100/1000 switch.

I recently purchased a  managed 8 port switch with 2 additional SFP slots for $140 on Amazon.ca. You will not need the SFP ports, but some functions of a managed switch will come in handy, like Vlan and per port QOS features etc...

Such a switch will offer much more functionality than the Asus router. Like a lot more. But then again, you might not need and in that case an unmanaged switch will be cheaper. Or you can run the managed switch with default settings and learn about all the extra features as you go along.

The model I got is 

NGS8C2

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Jump to solution

Not applicable

Yes, replacing that old router will make things faster when you are connected to the new router. 

Jump to solution

Not applicable

The DI-524 is multiple generations old (they started coming out in 2003), 802.11g is the WiFi it supports.  8 mbps down sounds about right for what it can do.

The new router will help if the devices you are connecting to it also support the faster speeds, 802.11n devices may or may not support the full 150 mbps, but should be close.  Devices that work with 802.11ac should be fine.

Jump to solution

Not applicable

Your router only supports 10/100 using Ethernet connections. That's why it is significantly slower than connection your computer directly to the Shaw cable modem, because that one has 10/100/1000 Ethernet port(s).

Something to consider that would be cheaper than purchasing an Asus router is purchasing a good 10/100/1000 switch and using the Shaw Cable modem for wireless connectivity only. It will give you more options, especially if you purchase a managed 10/100/1000 switch.

I recently purchased a  managed 8 port switch with 2 additional SFP slots for $140 on Amazon.ca. You will not need the SFP ports, but some functions of a managed switch will come in handy, like Vlan and per port QOS features etc...

Such a switch will offer much more functionality than the Asus router. Like a lot more. But then again, you might not need and in that case an unmanaged switch will be cheaper. Or you can run the managed switch with default settings and learn about all the extra features as you go along.

The model I got is 

NGS8C2

Jump to solution

cdx304
Grasshopper

People blame shaw and it there hardware not shaws .

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help