After talking to Shaw support, after a roundabout of sugg...

VictorT
Grasshopper

After talking to Shaw support, after a roundabout of suggestions, I was finally given a recommendation to factory reset my modem/router device. This appeared to have resolved everything.

resolved.jpg

I have bad news, the problem has once again returned. It...

VictorT
Grasshopper

I have bad news, the problem has once again returned.

It appears that the second hop (24.80.64.1) that I get is the culprit to all this mess.

First hop (hitronhub.home):

hitronhubhome.jpg

Second Hop (24.80.64.1):

secondhop.jpg

Four hops to a Shaw intermediatry device (somewhere down the line):

fourthhop.jpg

Not sure why, but if I ping my Shaw's wireless/modem/router device separately (hitronhub.home), the pings go through successfully.
If I ping the second hop, 24.80.64.1, my packets get dropped from both my Shaw's wireless/modem/router device and 24.80.64.1.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I think I will be calling Shaw again tomorrow to get a replacement (wireless/modem/router) device.

0 Kudos

It is too bad that the last image that you posted does no...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

It is too bad that the last image that you posted does not show the IP-address of the "no response from host" router. As it suggests, does a "double-click" show more information, including the IP-address of the router?  Maybe, some of your PING traffic was NOT going through that 24.80.64.1 router.

> Not sure why, but if I ping my Shaw's wireless/modem/router device separately (hitronhub.home), the pings go through successfully.

Some routers are configured to NOT respond to "ping" requests.  Obviously, your "hitronhub.home" is configured to "allow". Maybe, that 24.80.64.1 is NOT responding to PING-requests sent DIRECTLY to it.

The map produced by PING is like driving from your home to your mother-in-law's home, i.e., turning at each intersection, driving on a road for a while, turning at the next intersection, driving a while more, turning again.  If one of those sections of road is closed (sink-hole, house-fire, sewer construction, traffic accident), you'll be unable to complete your trip.  Maybe, the police at the intersection nearest to the traffic accident will block all traffic from that intersection intending to travel on the closed road.  Maybe, the police will let an ambulance get through the intersection, while still blocking all other traffic.  Maybe, they will let the vehicles through, but only to queue-up between the intersection and the traffic accident. Think of a multi-lane highway, where "N" lanes have to squeeze into "N-1" lanes, when one lane has become blocked.

So, as you approach that intersection, you don't know if you will get through the intersection. So, any "packet-loss" could be reported by a router, if the next "hop" is totally blocked, or the router will allow the traffic to try to go down the cable to the next router.

> If I ping the second hop, 24.80.64.1, my packets get dropped from both my Shaw's wireless/modem/router device and 24.80.64.1.

I disagree with the "both" claim. I think that the "hitronhub.home" is successfully passing 100% of the packets toward the next router, but "hitronhub.home" is reporting that some of the expected responses from 24.80.64.1 are NOT being received.

>  I think I will be calling Shaw again tomorrow to get a replacement (wireless/modem/router) device.

Sorry, but, in my opinion, I doubt that replacing the Hitron device will resolve your problem.

0 Kudos

>It is too bad that the last image that you posted does n...

VictorT
Grasshopper

>It is too bad that the last image that you posted does not show the IP-address of the "no response from host" router. As it suggests, does a "double-click" show more information, including the IP-address of the router? Maybe, some of your PING traffic was NOT going through that 24.80.64.1 router.

In all my WinMTR tests I've done 24.80.64.1 router is always my second hop, I've never had any other address appear there.

>Some routers are configured to NOT respond to "ping" requests. Obviously, your "hitronhub.home" is configured to "allow". Maybe, that 24.80.64.1 is NOT responding to PING-requests sent DIRECTLY to it.

I showed an earlier screenshot with 0 packet loss, it just now appears to happen randomly at times. I just did a test again at 5:20 PM today and have 0 packet loss (screenshots below)

>I disagree with the "both" claim. I think that the "hitronhub.home" is successfully passing 100% of the packets toward the next router, but "hitronhub.home" is reporting that some of the expected responses from 24.80.64.1 are NOT being received.

Uhmm, I agree with you on this one.

April 13, 2020 - 5:20PM - WinMTR Log

April 13, 2020 -518PM.jpg

April 13, 2020 - 5:20PM - WinMTR Log - Pinging Second Hop

April 13, 2020 - Pinging 2nd Hop.jpg

0 Kudos

I believe pinging directly to 24.80.64.1 and within your...

shaw-tony

@VictorT I believe pinging directly to 24.80.64.1 and within your network is giving a false report. Does 24.80.64.1 report packet loss when you ping outside of your network? ie. Google.ca, Youtube.com, Shaw.ca, etc.

0 Kudos

Tried to ping to outside my network (on April 14, 2020 ~1...

VictorT
Grasshopper

@shaw-tonyTried to ping to outside my network (on April 14, 2020 ~10:20PM), but 24.80.64.1 still reports back as %100 loss.

See logs below:

April 14, 2020 - 1020PM - Pinging Youtube.comApril 14, 2020 - 1020PM - Pinging Youtube.com

April 14, 2020 - 1020PM - Pinging Google.comApril 14, 2020 - 1020PM - Pinging Google.com

April 14, 2020 - 1020PM - Pinging Shaw.caApril 14, 2020 - 1020PM - Pinging Shaw.ca

0 Kudos

did you make any changes to the settings after the factor...

shaw-tony

@VictorT did you make any changes to the settings after the factory reset? I do notice the name of the initial hop seems to have changed to Hitronhub.home. Are there any 3rd party switches/routers connected to the Hitron?

0 Kudos

-- some routers can be configured to treat "PING" and "Tr...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@VictorT  -- some routers can be configured to treat "PING" and "TraceRoute" packets as "low-priority" traffic, i.e., if the router is "busy" doing "real work", it may choose to NOT respond.

Also, your traces to Google & Shaw are showing good results.  What are your symptoms when accessing those web-sites?

When watching YouTube, is the stream "smooth", with no drop-outs or pixelation?

Are you having problems downloading large files, such as iTunes software updates for your PC, or the latest release of Adobe Reader, or the Windows Updates that were released on April 14th ?

0 Kudos

Hi , Isn't "hitronhub.home" the default name that for the...

VictorT
Grasshopper

Hi @shaw-tony,

Isn't "hitronhub.home" the default name that for these router/modem devices that Shaw gives us? After factory resetting it, that was the default name given to my device. I did encounter some problems with my router, where it would record the same IP for different devices. But the router doesn't seem to have an advanced options to remove these DHCP assignments individually.

E.g. See attached screenshot, the 48:a5:e7:93:9e:36 device is my roommate's Nintendo Wii, but somehow the router retrieved the host name of my computer and now you see identical hosts names being used...I don't even know how this happened)
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/569621477494620181/699046639930966106/unknown.png 

So what I ended up doing was using the DHCP reservation feature and statically assigning my devices with different IP addresses so they would not conflict. (note that this was done after everything was working after I resetted upon suggestion by the Shaw support agent)

E.g. My setup:

Computer 1:

Computer 2:

Computer 2:

Gateway:

Anyways, this is all "extra" information, and these changes were made after I had those packet losses, and doesn't really relate to why 24.80.64.1 doesn't respond to pings sometimes.

I am not using any third party switches/routers, and me and my roommate's computers are the only two wired devices connected directly to the Hitron device.

Currently April 15, 2020 - 08:00PM - I get no packet loss to 24.80.64.1

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| hitronhub.home - 0 | 41 | 41 | 3 | 20 | 174 | 13 |
| 24.80.64.1 - 0 | 41 | 41 | 8 | 21 | 174 | 13 |
| rc1st-be113-1.vc.shawcable.net - 0 | 41 | 41 | 9 | 21 | 173 | 13 |
| rc2wt-be50-1.wa.shawcable.net - 0 | 41 | 41 | 14 | 25 | 175 | 15 |
| 72.14.242.90 - 0 | 41 | 41 | 13 | 25 | 175 | 20 |
| 108.170.233.45 - 0 | 41 | 41 | 13 | 23 | 176 | 21 |
| 108.170.233.155 - 0 | 41 | 41 | 13 | 24 | 176 | 14 |
| sea15s12-in-f3.1e100.net - 0 | 41 | 41 | 11 | 15 | 26 | 15 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

0 Kudos

Yes, maybe that's true, but why is it that only this part...

VictorT
Grasshopper

@mdkYes, maybe that's true, but why is it that only this particular router (the second hop) on along this route shows packet loss. Why don't the other routers show packet loss, I've done many many tests and never seen consistent packet loss from any other device further down the route.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help