WinMTR showing 100% packet loss to hitronhub.home

VictorT
Grasshopper

Hello,

My WinMTR is showing packet loss to my router and this happens every night after midnight.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| hitronhub.home - 99 | 76 | 1 | 2 | 2 | 2 | 2 |
| No response from host - 100 | 75 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| rc1st-be113-1.vc.shawcable.net - 1 | 375 | 374 | 8 | 17 | 142 | 13 |
| rc2wt-be50-1.wa.shawcable.net - 1 | 375 | 374 | 13 | 21 | 149 | 18 |
| rc1wt-be18-1.wa.shawcable.net - 0 | 379 | 379 | 13 | 21 | 147 | 17 |
| six.as13335.com - 1 | 375 | 374 | 13 | 27 | 139 | 15 |
| 172.65.195.220 - 0 | 379 | 379 | 8 | 14 | 48 | 15 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Is there a reason for this?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
22 Replies

My Hitron router assigns 24-hour leases for each IP-addre...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

My Hitron router assigns 24-hour leases for each IP-address, i.e., if your computer requests a lease at midnight, your computer can use that IP-address until next midnight. But, the onus is on your computer to send multiple "renew" requests. The first request will occur noon (50% through the life of the lease). More requests will be issued, if there is no answer to each request.

However, if your computer has the wrong date/time/timezone, it will miscalculate the date/time to send those "renew" requests, with the result that the Hitron receives NO request during the life of the lease, So, the router invalidates the computer, resulting in a loss of connectivity.

Or, it might be something totally different.  So, check your computer's clock.

Also, check Shaw's "outages" page, for scheduled outages, which usually start at midnight (Calgary), in your city.

Are you using some "Total Internet Security" package that includes a software "firewall", that might be blocking the responses to your computer's "requests" ?

Weird that it happens around midnight, is there anything...

rstra
Grand Master

Weird that it happens around midnight, is there anything like antivirus running at that time? I assume it probably is happening on all devices, but have you checked other computers?

Yes, its not around midnight but starts happening sometim...

VictorT
Grasshopper

Yes, its not around midnight but starts happening sometime after it..even at 3AM this was occurring.

Log taken at 3AM:

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| hitronhub.home - 100 | 209 | 1 | 2 | 2 | 2 | 2 |
| No response from host - 100 | 208 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| rc1st-be113-1.vc.shawcable.net - 1 | 1033 | 1032 | 6 | 18 | 174 | 9 |
| rc2wt-be50-1.wa.shawcable.net - 1 | 1033 | 1032 | 13 | 21 | 162 | 17 |
| rc1wt-be18-1.wa.shawcable.net - 0 | 1036 | 1036 | 11 | 21 | 168 | 14 |
| six.as13335.com - 10 | 762 | 693 | 11 | 49 | 186 | 79 |
| 172.65.195.220 - 0 | 1036 | 1036 | 8 | 14 | 48 | 12 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Logs for 11AM the next morning, everything appears to be ok:

WinMTR - April 11, 2020 - 11AM.jpg

There was no antivirus running on this computer, all i have is the defaulted one in Windows 10.

0 Kudos

Hello MDK, thank you for your response. My computer's clo...

VictorT
Grasshopper

Hello MDK, thank you for your response.

My computer's clock is set to "set time automatically, set time zone automatically".

My DHCP lease is set for 1 week, so either this was perfect timing but it happens regularly so I'm not sure. I will check back again tonight and report back the logs.

My city is Richmond, BC and there were no reported outages during this time.

My firewall settings on my router are set to the "minimum" level.

Please note that I do not lose completely connectivity during this time as browsing the web still works. I can still access websites etc, it just looks like my computer is dropping a lot of packets (which is bad for gaming). You can see in my response to RSTRA below that this problem resolved itself by the next day when I tested it at 11AM.

0 Kudos

> My firewall settings on my router are set to the "minim...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> My firewall settings on my router are set to the "minimum" level.

The firewall inside the Shaw router blocks "incoming" (from the Internet) packets. It should not block any packets originating "inside" your local network that reach your Shaw modem.

Note that Windows 10 has a built-in firewall. However, some "Total Internet Security" software packages disable the Windows Firewall, and then enable that package's firewall. It is this software that I asked about.

I presume that the "clock" inside the Shaw router has the correct date/time/timezone.

uhmm, it shouldn't be a firewall issue because the WinMTR...

VictorT
Grasshopper

uhmm, it shouldn't be a firewall issue because the WinMTR shows no errors when I just ran it. So during that particular time in the night it was dropping packets for whatever reason.

The router I got pretty much came as defaulted and I haven't changed any of the settings on it.

Time Settings - Hitron.JPG

Looking into this further, it looks like my computer uses the time server: time.windows.com
Where as my router uses this pool.ntp.org...would that be a problem? and wouldn't this become a problem for like a vast majority of Shaw customers since I don't believe they change their settings on this either...

0 Kudos

Does power cycling the router resolve the problem? I can’...

rstra
Grand Master

Does power cycling the router resolve the problem? I can’t remember if the Hitron has a log file in the admin page, if so, I would take a look there too. 

Every time-server should function identically, unless ove...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Every time-server should function identically, unless overloaded, and thus non-responsive for some time (pun intended).

Your router is using "UTC+00:00". To repeat, what time-zone is your computer using?

Since the default was SNTP client enabled, both other opt...

VictorT
Grasshopper

Since the default was SNTP client enabled, both other options above were greyed out since they were disabled (as per the first line "You can setup the SNTP Client. The ToD will be closed when users enable SNTP Client." this line of text refers to ToD and SNTP functions), so I could not adjust the time zones for both.

To keep everything consistent, I've manually set my time zone to UTC -08:00 as well as enabled SNTP function and set the timezone to UTC -08:00 as well.

Again, I'm highly doubtful this is a time issue because wouldn't it mean I would experience consistent packet loss? But there are times when WinMTR shows 0 packet loss.

Anyways, it's currently 11:30 AM Sunday, April 12, 2020 and the WinMTR shows packet loss again...

WinMTR - April 12, 2020 - 1130AM.jpg

0 Kudos