XB6 Modem Noise

dm2
Grasshopper

I extended my internet plan and shaw sent me a new XB6 modem. 

When I plug the new modem in, it sounds like a hair dryer running at low speed. I don't want to listen to that all the time. 

Rather than requesting another modem, is there any reason why I cannot keep using my old and original Hitron 2250? The old modem is working fine and has not given any trouble.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies

No, you need a new XBx modem, contact Shaw and ask for a...

rstra
Grand Master

@dm2  No, you need a new XBx modem, contact Shaw and ask for a XB7 or 8, they are quieter. 

-- there are no technical issues to prevent you from regr...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dm2 -- there are no technical issues to prevent you from regressing to the Hitron modem.

However, the Hitron is limited to about 300 Megabits per second for downloads, and about 15 Megabits for uploads (such as sending a large E-mail message), while the (noisy) XB6 can do up to 1000 Mbps for downloads, and will do 100 Mbps for upload. 

What speed is included in your new Value Plan? Obviously, if your plan offers 300 Mbps for download, either modem will do that. But, to get much-faster uploads, you need the XB6.

Will Shaw replace the (noisy) XB6 by the totally-silent XB7, without forcing you to pay more to upgrade to faster Internet?

0 Kudos

I'm on the  75 mbps plan. So I guess I'll  keep using the...

dm2
Grasshopper

I'm on the  75 mbps plan. So I guess I'll  keep using the old quiet Hitron.

I would have thought  for the $100 per month I'm paying for Internet, I would have qualified for a quiet new modem from the beginning.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

If you are on the XB6 now, you are on the Ignite system a...

rstra
Grand Master

@dm2  If you are on the XB6 now, you are on the Ignite system and the Hitron wont be available to you (unless something changed). You need to give Rogers a call to try and get the XB7.

0 Kudos

-- until recently, Shaw offered different cable-modems, b...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dm2 -- until recently, Shaw offered different cable-modems, based on the Internet speed you selected (10/25/100/300/500/750/1000).  For example, the Hitron was supplied for up to 300 Mbps, and the XB6 was supplied for 500 to 750 speeds, and the XB7 was supplied for 1000 Mbps. But, things have changed.

Now, according to: https://www.shaw.ca/compare-plans

the Hitron is not offered, and most of the slower speeds are not offered. Now, speeds of 75-down-75-up and 300-down-150-up get the "Ignite WiFi Gateway modem" (XB6). The speed of 1000/150 gets the "Ignite WiFi Gateway Gen 2 modem" (XB7). The speed of 1500/150 gets the "Ignite WiFi Gateway Gen 3 modem" (XB8).

My current Internet service is on a two-year Value Plan, ending in October 2024. When I signed-up for that plan (in 2022), Shaw replaced my 300/15 Hitron with the XB7 supporting 500/100 -- not the XB6, and not the 150-upload. Included with the XB7 is the fast "WiFi 6". Note that "WiFi 6" is not part of the XB6.  Maybe, back in 2022, Shaw had fewer XB6 & XB7 modems in their warehouse, and used the Hitron for the lower-speed customers, i.e., reserving the XB6 & XB7 for the higher-speed customers.

I would contact Shaw/Rogers, and complain about the noisy XB6, and ask for the quiet XB7. If Shaw wants to retain you as a monthly-paying customer, they might accept your request.

Your other alternative is to pay much more: switching from 75 Mbps for $90/month to 1000 Mbps for $25 more per month, to get the XB7 included. Upgrading to 300 Mbps will still use the XB6 that you have.

0 Kudos

That quite bit of money for 75 megs. I would upgrade to...

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

That quite bit of money for 75 megs.  I would upgrade to higher plan with xb7 hopefully a new deal

0 Kudos

They said it's the best they could do even though I've be...

dm2
Grasshopper

They said it's the best they could do even though I've been a steady, loyal 20+ year customer who always paid the bills on time.

I guess loyalty only works one way now that Rogers took over...

0 Kudos

Internet 75 is only $55 on a value plan.

rstra
Grand Master

@dm2 Internet 75 is only $55 on a value plan.

0 Kudos

They said I already had the value plan in a previous year...

dm2
Grasshopper

They said I already had the value plan in a previous year and am not entitled to it anymore, hence I have to pay more now. 

Anyway, this is going off topic. I'll order another modem later and hopefully it will be a quiet one.

Thanks and I wish all a happy new year.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help