Oh man.  I thought it was just me.  When I first signed u...

Slarty
Grasshopper

Oh man.  I thought it was just me.  When I first signed up a couple years ago, tech/customer support was amazing.  The last couple months though, my connection just drops randomly all day long.  Today was a nightmare.  Luckily I was able to get a field tech here.  They said the line looked "better than perfect".   I also factory reset the modem that day.  I thought it was something he did, but I'm back to this right now.  One of the many techs I spoke with even said they don't receive training on this stuff and there's no level 2 support.  Shaw, have you been cutting corners?  Now I have to wait 5-10 business days" for an RMA modem.  Is that even going to fix anything?  Working from home has been very stressful during these random disconnect days

0 Kudos

I'm sorry to hear of the frustrating experience you've ha...

shaw-tony

@Slarty I'm sorry to hear of the frustrating experience you've had. I understand working from home can indeed be very stressful with an intermittent connection. There can be multiple reasons why you are noticing a drop in your connection. We certainly have higher-level support and work with our engineers to resolve any technical related issues. Your signal indeed is solid with no errors showing up since the swap. Are you still getting random disconnections?

0 Kudos

Hi Tony, thanks for the follow up!  I should have comment...

Slarty
Grasshopper

Hi Tony, thanks for the follow up!  I should have commented on here sooner.  I ended up receiving a replacement modem very quickly and have not had an issue since I connected to it.  I do not appear to have received a return shipping label however.  Would you happen to know what he easiest way to return the old modem or who I should contact to get this info?

0 Kudos

sweet! I'm glad to hear it's working as expected. You can...

shaw-tony

@Slarty sweet! I'm glad to hear it's working as expected. You can touch base with any customer support member to have them email you the return label.

0 Kudos

> easiest way to return the old modem Some of Shaw's reta...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> easiest way to return the old modem

Some of Shaw's retail store-fronts in BC and Alberta have re-opened. So, take your Shaw bill (to show your Account Number) and your modem back to them.

Did you actually "purchase" the modem, or have you been "renting" it (at a net price of $0/month, after discount)? It is only the "rented" modem that must be returned. For a "purchased" modem, contact Shaw, to get your modem removed from your Account, because there is no sense in keeping it listed as an "active" device.

0 Kudos

Same issues here.  2nd modem and keeps losing signal.  It...

CGMac
Grasshopper

Same issues here.  2nd modem and keeps losing signal.  It’s definitely the modem not loving something connecting.  These models are not ready.  I’m going to have to go back to the old stuff.  Also no technician available for a week.  I work from home.  

0 Kudos

-- 2nd modem and keeps losing signal.  It’s definitely th...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@CGMac -- 2nd modem and keeps losing signal.  It’s definitely the modem not loving something connecting.

At this point, I think that each modem was fine, and the problem is elsewhere:

• loose connections on your coaxial-cable from the modem to your wall-port,
  • kinked or otherwise problematic coaxial-cable,
  • coaxial-cables inside your home's walls,
  • defective coaxial-splitter inside Shaw's "demarcation-box" on the outside of your home,
  • frayed or kinked coaxial-cable between that box and the telephone-pole,
  • Shaw's infrastructure up-and-down your street

> No technician available for a week

They are busy, and my guess that it is difficult for Shaw to find fully-trained technicians, to hire them.

So, while you are waiting for the technician, check your connections. Try a different coaxial-cable.

Contact Shaw (online-chat or telephone), and get them to remotely logon to your modem, to check "signal strength", and other values.

This sounds super familiar Jay. Sorry to say but you’re n...

Rolando
Grasshopper

This sounds super familiar Jay. Sorry to say but you’re not the only one. I’ve had 3-4 new XB6 modems in the last 2 years and no one at support wants to help figure out why this continues over and over again; “Here’s a new modem, it’s working now? Great, I’ll close the file .” Technician has come many times and checked the connection in the condo building too. 

0 Kudos

are you also getting the red light?

rstra
Grand Master

@Rolando are you also getting the red light?

0 Kudos

-- I’ve had 3-4 new XB6 modems in the last 2 years ... in...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Rolando -- I’ve had 3-4 new XB6 modems in the last 2 years ... in the condo building

Do you have a UPS (Uniinterruptible Power Supply) supplying "smooth" power to your XB6?

If not, then I recommend getting one -- under $100 -- to protect the XB6 from power-surges and "brown-out" conditions.

A UPS could also protect your high-end 4K TV -- the cost to repair/replace it comes out of your wallet, not Shaw's.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help