Yo Shaw; Your Calgary DC is broken... again.

talios
Grasshopper

Thought i'd throw this here since it's impossible to get shaw's tier 1 support to understand basic networking in case someone in the know sees. For the past week+ there's been issues with hops between shaw IP's in calgary adding 30+ ms consistently; and all of edmonton's traffic goes through calgary so there's an instant + 30 ms to all ping times not even taking into account shaw misrouting traffic east instead of west after that; 

7 13 ms 13 ms 14 ms rc3no-be6.cg.shawcable.net [66.163.64.69]
8 14 ms 14 ms 13 ms rc3so-be23.cg.shawcable.net [66.163.71.118]
9 47 ms 52 ms 45 ms rc1wt-be82.wa.shawcable.net [66.163.76.9]
10 49 ms 54 ms 58 ms rc1bb-be90-1.vc.shawcable.net [66.163.76.65]

all shaw ip's in calgary; all edmonton shaw traffic to anywhere gets routed through them and hop 9 has been consistently been adding 30-60 ms for a week+

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

--  all of Edmonton's traffic goes through Calgary  This...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@talios --  all of Edmonton's traffic goes through Calgary 

This implies that Shaw's cables between Edmonton and Vancouver are not working.

During the last week, several "atmospheric rivers" have caused disasters in B.C., including land-slides and blocked highways (#1, #5, #99).

So, it's possible that the Shaw technicians cannot drive their equipment through/around the wash-outs to reach the point where a cable is damaged, to make a repair.

0 Kudos

Sadly, Shaw has always routed pretty much all Edmonton tr...

talios
Grasshopper

Sadly, Shaw has always routed pretty much all Edmonton traffic through Calgary; or at least for the 7 years I’ve been a shaw customer in Edmonton so that part isn’t an issue 😞 .it’s the giant latency increase between the two shaw IPs that both geolocate to Calgary that is the issue; there shouldn’t be a consistent 30-60 ms increase in a hop between two locations I can only assume are in the same rack.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help