4k TV programming - Sports

DarrenNWpg
Grasshopper

Is TSN and Sportsnet programming available in 4K?  Everything I read says that Shaw does not support 4K for these networks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies

No 4k channels for Shaw and looks like they won't offer t...

IslandBiker
Grasshopper

No 4k channels for Shaw and looks like they won't offer this for a while to come as their current network can't handle the bandwidth for 4k. Their hardware is all licensed from comcast (most hated company in America a few years running) and Comcast doesn't offer 4k to their customers yet

0 Kudos

> their current network can't handle the bandwidth for 4k...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> their current network can't handle the bandwidth for 4k. 

I disagree.

Take a Shaw Gateway or Shaw BlueCurve system, with four connected TVs (1K each), and tune each TV to a different channel.

That will consume equivalent bandwidth to one 4K stream, and will be evidence that the current network can handle 4K.

They can deliver 4K Netflix over their network,    so the...

rstra
Grand Master

They can deliver 4K Netflix over their network,    so there is no problem with their infrastructure. Also, Comcast does offer 4K, so their is no problem with the equipment. Shaw probably has other priorities right now, getting everyone on the BlueCurve enhancements and the cloud pvr. 

I think Shaw is working carefully with their rollouts. Th...

rickatk
Master

I think Shaw is working carefully with their rollouts. There may considerations around the fact they are using licensed Comcast technology which might slow implementation. One thing for certain Shaw continues to move forward with some pretty good tech.

0 Kudos

I should clarify that shaw is capable of delivering 4k st...

IslandBiker
Grasshopper

I should clarify that shaw is capable of delivering 4k streams to you. What their current network will not be able to do is deliver 4k streams to the entire neighborhood. 

A 4k stream typically uses between 15-25mbps some are higher some are less but for the sake of argument we can use 20mbps. On shaws current setup you are receiving internet and tv on different networks. TV is coming through coax and internet through docsis 3.1 which is copper line still. If shaw is to move to an IPTV model then all of the traffic for TV and Internet would come down the same pipe. Their docsis 3.1 network cannot handle this load plain and simple. They dont publish the acutal numbers but typical is between 200-500 homes per node which has a theoretical max of 10gbps. Compare that to fiber where the theoretical limit is 1 petabit per second (1000gbps). Shaw is usuing a fiber backbone for some of their network but a lot of it is still copper cables over docsis 3.1. If you want more clarification of their network shortcomings ask the internet tech guys why they dont offer duplex speeds (150mbps up and 150mbps down) this is due to limits inside of their own network infrastructure. The marketing answer for this is "no one needs fast upload speeds" instead of "our network cant handle it"

Compare this with Telus who has been investing in fiber networks instead of outdated copper and what they are able to offer through 1 pipeline is greater (4kTV, 1gbps internet (duplex), home phone) fiber also has the advantage of not getting slowed down during peak times as the network can handle much higher throughputs at peak times. 

Just to be 100% clear Shaws network can handle 4k streams. It cannot handle it if too many households on your node decide to stream 4k.

What Shaw is trying to do is limp their aging copper network along until they are forced into the higher investment of fiber. Other companies saw the writing on the wall years ago and stopped laying copper wires. Concidering we are now seeing 8k tvs and the occasional 6k and 8k video its only a matter of time before we have another wave of upgrades. its 

If you go and look through their old responses to 4k requ...

IslandBiker
Grasshopper

If you go and look through their old responses to 4k requests the excuse was "we are waiting until the 4k standard gets finalized". This was due to two different 4k HDR competing standards. This has been resolved for years and they have purged those responses from their forum. So what would their excuse be now?

I watch a great deal of sports on my television. I usuall...

Stragf
Grasshopper

I watch a great deal of sports on my television. I usually use the TSN high band which on my television typically has been Channel 217. This is on Shaw blue curve in Edmonton.

Today, I noticed as an example, Tim and friends was on Sportsnet but it said sn4k and my TV would not pick it up. I have a one and a half year old Sony ultra high definition. I spent an hour with Shaw on the phone, and a very nice technician, and they reset my box and I still don't have it. Can anyone shed some light on this?

0 Kudos

Watching the Blue Jays on Sportsnet 4K channel 217 in Win...

lorenzo1961
Grasshopper

Watching the Blue Jays on Sportsnet 4K channel 217 in Winnipeg right now. First time I've seen or noticed a 4K channel on shaw before. Picture looks great.

There's also a WNBA on 218 Sportsnet 4k 218 as well.

Do you have a BlueCurve XG1v4 or Xi6 player?

rstra
Grand Master

@Stragf Do you have a BlueCurve XG1v4 or Xi6 player?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help